-15% pulley
- milltek manifold with decat
- jcw exhaust with res delete
- Alta intake
- Airtec
- Kent fast road cam
- jcw 380 injectors
- jcw head

And im making 241bhp on the dyno at around 7k revs….ill soon be installing a 1320 catcam and 550cc injectors and bumping the limit to 7600 with a custom map.
i
What do people think the car feel drive like after this? What differences might I feel? if any

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
First thing I'd say, 7600 on a stock bottom end isn't good. 2nd thing is I'd bin the Alta intake.

An estimate/guess is all it is, you could make 2bhp or 1 million. Thinking about headline numbers is not what you want to think about it's how the car drives.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
I wouldn't think Catcam could add much to that tbh... lumpy idle maybe ;)

First thing I'd say, 7600 on a stock bottom end isn't good. 2nd thing is I'd bin the Alta intake.
Thinking the same about the bottom end (con rod bolts come to mind). And judging by posts on this forum and personal experience I'd anything labeled Alta should be binned...

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Unless it's enclosed with pathetic Alta lid maybe..

I don't think you will gain much tbh maybe 10hp maybe. well hopefully the CatCam is a Hugh revving cam apparently so you need to be up in the rev range to benefit.

·
Wineeeeeeeeeeeee
2,286 Posts
The the stock valve springs don't have much in them after 6.9k apparently, also who is mapping the car if it's 1320 fine wouldn't go elsewhere

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car is being mapped by my local representative for Elite Remaps - hes a knowlegable guy and has done other custom maps for Minis. What would be the limit on stock valve train and bottom end? 7400?

·
Wineeeeeeeeeeeee
2,286 Posts
1320 limited mone to 7.4 but if your not going down the BVH route I'm not sure if that's to high as you won't have restricted flow

·
Mr Honest
2,539 Posts
Ok thanks. I do plan on going down the BVH….just having trouble finding the right one hehe
I wouldn't waste your money on a BVH to be honest. Ensuring that your chassis is fully set-up for your track car is a more beneficial option.

And as Maverick said, and I've said many times, get rid of the Alta intake.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not only a track car….i use it for time attacks a few times a year, but its also my weekend car. One of the reasons im switching to the catcam is cos i see it as a better cam for when i do them bvh. Ive driven an R53 with similar mods to mine but with a ported head. The difference is night and day, i stepped out of the car saying 'I need that on my car'!

Why all this hate towards the Alta? I know its not proven to have gains like the Dave F….but surely it cant be that bad! I'm reluctant to spend 150 quid on a dave f or orranje for what 3/4 hp? Someone please enlighten me!

·
Administrator
5,546 Posts
Why all this hate towards the Alta? I know its not proven to have gains like the Dave F….but surely it cant be that bad! I'm reluctant to spend 150 quid on a dave f or orranje for what 3/4 hp? Someone please enlighten me!
I believe the Alta is known as a HAI rather than a Cold Air Intake. Noise>Performance

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money on a BVH to be honest. Ensuring that your chassis is fully set-up for your track car is a more beneficial option.

And as Maverick said, and I've said many times, get rid of the Alta intake.
I'd get a BVH, far from a waste of money, I gained 25 whp when I fitted mine, best mod I've done (so far)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BVH is definitely on the cards but as i said, finding the right one isn't easy….ive spoken to Kavs and Thumper to see what they can offer. Also tried to get in touch with Ric Woods and CNC Heads but no reply from them.

Why would you say the Alta is a HAI? I had a look at it the other day and even without the lid on top it doesent look to me like it would be pulling in hot air from the engine bay. Spoke to my tuner about it as well and he doesent see anything wrong with it..

10383097_10152693992523170_551476638636118362_n.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts