MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm very interested in buying a kit and skinning some MINI bits. Has anyone had any experience with this? and wheres best to buy? The only place i have seen selling kits is Carbon Fiber Sheet and High Performance Carbon Fibre Products - Carbon Mods

Thanks, Dean

oh the bits im thinking about doing are bonnet scoop, wing mirrors, dash, dash struts, door rest bits with leather patch on..

Ta.

·
Bringing the noise
539 Posts
Hi, I'm very interested in buying a kit and skinning some MINI bits. Has anyone had any experience with this? and wheres best to buy? The only place i have seen selling kits is Carbon Fiber Sheet and High Performance Carbon Fibre Products - Carbon Mods

Thanks, Dean

oh the bits im thinking about doing are bonnet scoop, wing mirrors, dash, dash struts, door rest bits with leather patch on..

Ta.
Have you spoken to phil at mini pirate he does alot of carbon fibre wrapping and they look mint, im sure he can fit all the components on your list :thumbup:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wanting to do it myself really, cheaper and more fun. I'm just need to know where the best place to get the materials from

Thanks

Dean

·
Bringing the noise
539 Posts
I'm wanting to do it myself really, cheaper and more fun. I'm just need to know where the best place to get the materials from

Thanks

Dean
Drop him a pm and he might just sell the wrapping and you can fit it yourself :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
i read this thread last night and have today read and watched the info on carbonmods' site. im very impressed with how it looks so have decided to order the carbon fibre skimming starter set... fingers crossed it's as easy as it looks!!
anyone got any additiontal tips?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I've got a tip, tell me how it goes and post a review on :) what bits are you planning on doing?

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
well im planning on doing the cooper s side vents to begin with and see how it fares from there. my plan is to do a fair old bit of the plastic interior trim; the down tubes, the speedo surround, the rev counter surround, door trims, maybe the boot handle... i really dont know, depends how well it turns out really... i just hope it's as easy as it looked in the video! will keep you posted!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah thats what i thought.. they do make it look easy.. i want to do the dash but theres a few sharp contours, im not sure how much you can shape it.

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
have a look on ebay for the dashboard (3 piece, he also sells the 5 piece too) -

JCW carbon fiber dashboardset 3 piece RHD on eBay, also Centre Consoles Dashboards, Interior Styling, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 09-Apr-09 19:37:14 BST)

this guy has sold two of these so far over the last 2 weeks or so, the first went for £102, the second went last week for £122, free postage also. the first one has reviewed his feedback saying all was good... if you can afford it, that would be a far easier option!:thumbup:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i bid on one of his dashes a couple weeks ago upto £170 and it went for £174, cant afford that much now. :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
well im planning on doing the cooper s side vents to begin with and see how it fares from there. my plan is to do a fair old bit of the plastic interior trim; the down tubes, the speedo surround, the rev counter surround, door trims, maybe the boot handle... i really dont know, depends how well it turns out really... i just hope it's as easy as it looked in the video! will keep you posted!
Good luck with the vents as they are a pig to do.

Trust me the videos make it look a lot easier than it really is. I have been playing with this stuff for a few months now and Im still learning new bits.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi gavin, wheres the best place to get materials from?

thanks, Dean

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts

Trust me the videos make it look a lot easier than it really is. I have been playing with this stuff for a few months now and Im still learning new bits.
did you do your vent in your signature picture? that looks sweeeeet!

damnit on your news on the vents, is there anywhere you'd reccomend practicing on first? im toying with allosrts of things on the inside, so any that you found that are easy to do, and a good learning point, i'd appreciate the heads-up!

·
Registered
174 Posts
The best place is Carbonmods where you are getting it from.

The vent is JCW im afraid! I found that the larger pieces are easier to work on but again you wont get this right first, second or maybe third time. Its just practice

·
Registered
436 Posts
do a search for CFS fibreglass

you can buy all what you need there........much cheaper too

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Gavin.. Have you got any advice on skinning a part all the way around an then joining it? Such as the GP wing on the orange spoiler.. I've tried an failed. Just rubbed it down ready for another attemp earlier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A honest opinion... I've tried carbon mod's already and did manage to get some parts of my dash done. But must say that it wasn't as easy as it looked. Despite carbon mod's having some good material the polish compound isn't that good. Well, at least I had a better result with the lacker.
Hope this helped.

·
Registered
193 Posts

what he said lol i looked at the carbon mods stuff but i eventually just got resin and cloth from ebay and before i started i sprayed them black goin to do a few other bits but haven't got round to them yet

a few pics of what iv done

is not easy but depending what you are doing like the down tubes you have to watch the thickness for it refitting good lick with i tho its a challenge

1 - 19 of 19 Posts