MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some advice chaps......

So my car recently had a KAVS 15% interference fit pulley, matched gates belt and JCW spec NGK plugs fitted...all sourced from Orranje. The supercharger was removed and serviced at the same time.

It has a catback non res Milltek and Pipercross panel filter as well......reckon it probably should be running something in the region of low 200's bhp....certainly should be a fair bit quicker than stock. I've probably only covered 7/800 miles since the changes.

Anyway I've recently had the issue of my coolant tank dropping its load over the engine bay and the engine mount popping (v near the serp belt) and now I'm not so sure it's running as it should be. It felt flat before the pulley and feels less flat now but it's made me wonder if something might have been going on with it before hand either a boost leak or maybe a not-so-good belt tensioner?

I used torque lite with an ODB dongle to log boost a little while ago and I was seeing peaks in the high 11 psi's whereas I guess it should be more like 15/16?

If it helps it does have a bit of a lumpy idle and can be a bit lethargic/hesitant off the mark....like it bogs down ever so slightly before taking off. It also does tick under acceleration not really noticable with the window closed which I had put down to being the crank pulley most likely. It had a new camchain and all related sundries at Mini about 12k miles/3.5 years ago so very confident it's not the chain. I get the usual v quick tapping whilst the tensioner gets up to pressure then it stops...the tapping is different. The pulley has been checked and its solid and not moving around/split etc.

What's made me realise is I went for a spirited drive with a mate who also has an 06 Cooper S albeit completely stock and I was having to really work hard to keep up with him.....given I should have a fair few more ponies didn't make alot of sense to me. Also my belt does make tiny squeaks upon start up and v occasionally when pulling away which makes me thing it might be slipping slightly.

My other thought is where the car was stripped to bits for the SC service whether one of the vacuum pipes might be loose or have broken which may also not be helping.

Be appreciative of some advice from the more learned of you. It's going in soon to have a new engine mount (a VT fast road one), 1st speed fan fix and have all the vacuum pipes checked along with an oil service but wondering if a new belt tensioner might be in order? It drives OK, no warning lights but it in my mind doesnt go as hard as it should do given what it's got on it. Also I do run it on Texaco 97 ron so not a fuel thing.

Cheers chaps, any advice be appreciated (y)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I will be getting the BPV checked over...though it operates perfectly fine from what I can tell so not sure that's it

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
That green gasket is a bitch.

Does the belt tensioner bounce a lot on idle? If the damper is shot it can move quite a bit and make some noise. Might cause some belt slip too. The amount of boost depends on many things, but it should make more than 11psi that's for sure. How many holes do you have visible on the belt tensioner (on the stick at the top of the tensioner in the pic below)?

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
check there is a hole visible in the tensioner strap above the tensioner body, if not the belt is too long

check plug torque, these spit them out for fun, not everyone torques them right and they need a recheck anyway imo

lumpy idle is a clue, perhaps get a leak check

your mates car won't have the issue of a pulley and no map so isn't a fair gauge, it will be different

Reactions: Astroboy

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys appreciate the responses.

The green horn gasket was changed for a Victor Reinz one when it was done.....is it possible that its leaking due to how it's been fitted perhaps?

I'll check the tensioner..maybe take a pic and see what you guys reckon. I dont think its been renewed so wouldn't be too surprised if it was past it's best....guess we will see. The belt was the one recommended by Orranje for the 15% reduction so imagine it ought to be sound. By all accounts it was a bit of a sod to get on anyway being that bit smaller than stock.

The lumpy idle thing...it hunts a bit occasionally mainly when cold once the cold start cuts out....my coil pack was shot away so did think that might be the culprit to some degree....definitely think it runs a bit better now and MPG has improved (betting it had a v v light misfire on cyl 3 before) but not gone entirely.

Bit surprised about the stock vs pulley'd point......acknowledge that mapping these things is the best way but even still with a 15% pulley on the stock map I should be seeing quite a few more horses and torques across much of the rev range.....know IAT's etc might end up pulling some of this back particularly in this milder weather weve been having but I'd still expect it to be quicker........in a straight line drag (bearing in mind I was behind and benefiting from less drag) if anything the stock car was slightly pulling on me at points. Just find it a bit odd is all........

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being some sort of vacuum/boost leak on the intake side perhaps mixed with a less than optimum tensioner but we'll see.

Again thanks chaps do appreciate it (y)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.....I've done my best to take a photo of the tensioner. Looks the same when off and started. I cant see a hole and also I've noticed there is a small amount of bounce in the arm and spring whilst running.....does this mean its past it's best?

I suppose just because it's not squealing doesnt mean it's not slipping right?

20200618_150602.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also the spring doesnt look v taut compared to the example.....figure its goosed?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
The spring is something that I've never seen fail, the damper yes, but never the spring. From memory theres a single bolt which secures the boost pipe to the charger. Might be worth getting a camera in to see if it's still there. A goosed pcv valve will lose you boost and cause idle problems as well

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've ordered a new one from eBay as guessing its past it's best anyway Col, only 51 quid for an INA one so didn't think that was too bad.

I'll get all the pipework checked when it's in, as well as the PCV....gather with that it's as simple as removing it and making sure the bearing in it still moves right?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to see you're having problems.

Tensioner looks like it's extending too far which would explain why your spring looks less taught than the example. Have you got a tensioner tool to lock it and check the belt size?

If it's jumping around then well worth ordering a new one as you have done.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers mate, is it worth ordering a new belt as well. One on it is only a few hundred miles old but wondering if the tensioner is shot whether it might have stretched it?
Might explain why it felt quick when it was first done and now not so much perhaps?

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
A shot tensioner doesnt stretch the belt.
The belt will stretch naturally with age. If the belt is pretty new I would suggest its not the right size.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Belt was matched by Orranje for the 15%, double checked it was the right one.

I have a working theory that my tensioner was probably a bit slack beforehand and always has been leading to the car probably not performing as it should have done stock and so not as it should tuned (probably more like stock). Perhaps the tensioner stayed taut enough initially once fitted but slackened off with a few miles.....?

Kinda makes sense as it looks all of its 14 years and is seemingly past it's best (no holes on show, correct belt etc).

And sorry yeah get your point if it's not providing enough tension it's not gonna stretch it.....dippy moment there 😂

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
I think the recommended belt for the 15% is too long. After very little use the holes in the tensioner disappear.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any recommendations on a good belt to use on a 15% with stock crank pulley?

I'll get the model number of the gates belt I've used for reference

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
The one you took off is likely a 6PK1368.
One a fraction shorter would be better suited in my personal experience such as a 6PK1365.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indeed gates 6PK1368 Maccmike......guess I'm best off getting a shorter one to go with the new tensioner then?

15925004515472809334989112242607.jpg

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've used a 1360 for a while now, 15% with stock everything else. Went through a couple of 1368s before and they didn't last long or show a hole on the tensioner. Found the Conti belts better than the Gates too.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So we thinking a 6pk1360 Contitech then?

Believe the OE belts are conti arent they?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts