MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what camshaft is best for big bhp from what people have experienced, don't mind loosing a bit of low down grunt for it either or getting a lumpy idle. Heard Newman cams arnt too reliable, looked at the schrick but from what I've read 1320's cam is really good so just looking for some guidance.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Newman ph3/4 for the highest bhp, 1320 catcam for slightly less bhp but slightly more "area under the curve"

Both need a map and 550cc injectors to work properly, otherwise you're just better off eith a Newman ph2, which does 90% of the above and can run with no map...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Newman ph3/4 for the highest bhp, 1320 catcam for slightly less bhp but slightly more "area under the curve"

Both need a map and 550cc injectors to work properly, otherwise you're just better off eith a Newman ph2, which does 90% of the above and can run with no map...
Not from what I've seen.. cat cam for more power and better delivery. Saw both on a dump today

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
do you have graphs for the 469 vs ph3/4?

Reactions: RYAN JCW

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
That won't matter much i'm sure, all data helps, see the other thread running re TPR2 vs TPR2R with much info courtesy of Citro, I'm about to look at trying another cam so would like an idea from those using the PH3/4 vs PH2 as not many people specify which they've fitted, you usually just see 'Newman'.

Reactions: citro

·
Registered
325 Posts
That won't matter much i'm sure, all data helps, see the other thread running re TPR2 vs TPR2R with much info courtesy of Citro, I'm about to look at trying another cam so would like an idea from those using the PH3/4 vs PH2 as not many people specify which they've fitted, you usually just see 'Newman'.

lets just say the phase 4 wouldnt even idle let alone run properly. then the next one unsure of what spec made under 200whp

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
lets just say the phase 4 wouldnt even idle let alone run properly. then the next one unsure of what spec made under 200whp
Im with carsand bikes here.

Can you get permission to upload both dyno graphs please.

You have basicly carried out the holygrail dyno day we have been looking for.
Both newman ph3/4 and 469 catcam in the same car, on the same dyno and on the same day.

Im sure i speak for everyone that this really needs to be uploaded to offer a massive benefit to all other members to the differance to the torque curve on our R53s with a newman or catcam.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Both newman ph3/4 and 469 catcam in the same car, on the same dyno and on the same day.

Im sure i speak for everyone that this really needs to be uploaded to offer a massive benefit to all other members to the differance to the torque curve on our R53s with a newman or catcam.

it wasnt the same car. but it was the same mods on both cars on the same day. back to back

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just had 1320 cam fitted today. cant recommend it enough!
What kinda of figures have you seen from fitting the cam? With what other modifications?
I've literally just got the top end to do now I've got a spare head and 550 injectors ready to decide what cam to put in it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'm with Ryan here it would be perfect to see both graphs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wondering what camshaft is best for big bhp from what people have experienced, don't mind loosing a bit of low down grunt for it either or getting a lumpy idle. Heard Newman cams arnt too reliable, looked at the schrick but from what I've read 1320's cam is really good so just looking for some guidance.
I went for 1320's Catcam 469. I did a lot of research and decided this was best for me especially after reading quality issues with the Newman. My base car is a R53 JCW 210, with 47k on the clock. The only mod's i'd done so far was to install a Quicksilver manifold and race cat, plus an Airtec TMIC. I took it to a dyno day at Lohen in April at it made 218bhp, which I was quite pleased about. Then I took it to 1320 to have their 'Stage 2' fitted. It comprises of a catcam 469, 550 injectors & bytetronik remap plus I opted to have an ITG air filter installed as part of the package.

Before the install, 1320 gave it a power check. It made 184whp (calculated 216/217bhp, allowing for a 15% transmission loss, so basically inline with Lohen's dyno). After the install it made 208whp (244bhp), so quite an impressive 24whp improvement.)

I took it to MITP in August and with these mods I did a best of 14.6 (97mph exit). My previous best in 2016 was 15.2 at 90mph exit. On the 'strip' is one thing on the road, the car has been transformed ie the mid-range torque, when you 'boot it', just launches the car like a rocket (and the sound is brilliant!), ps the wheel torque is also increased from 153ft-lb, to 171ft-lb (232nm) at the wheels and approx. 273nm at the flywheel.

Hope this helps ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
RGPAYNE37, could you please post both dynos? It would be interesting :) But I'd say you won about 10 whp from the tune itself (adjusting fueling, afrs, ignition, advance, etc) and the rest, from raising the limiter and flowing more air, due to the higher lift in the cam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RGPAYNE37, could you please post both dynos? It would be interesting :) But I'd say you won about 10 whp from the tune itself (adjusting fueling, afrs, ignition, advance, etc) and the rest, from raising the limiter and flowing more air, due to the higher lift in the cam.
Yes, I agree with that, the remap will obviously be adding to the power gain. I'll upload the graphs shortly.
Cheers
Rick

1 - 20 of 125 Posts