MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the car rattling a bit last weekend, had to happen while in the UK and 120miles from parents on way back to the port!! :cursing:

Made it to a dealer in Kent on Monday before they shut as we were due to overnight there at the TLodge before the ferry and was told immediately it was most likely the tensioner.

Got it back Wednesday with just the Tensioner done, not the whole chain etc. They also did the water pump recall. Didn't sound as quiet as I thought it should but was assured it's all good and thorough check had been done.

Drove 350 miles home and all good for a couple of days.

Saturday morning - Sounds rough again so left it alone until I could get it into the BMW garage here in Paderborn, low and behold the German tech said "Cam Chain Tensioner".

After telling him it's just been done, he said the chain should have been done as well as it's stretched or something and that'll be about €1000 please! :banghead:

After some calls, turns out my UK Cherished Warranty should cover me but I have to pay up front and claim it back from a MINI Dealer in the UK.

I was wondering if generally the whole chain/tensioner kit is/should be fitted to sort it?
and
Anyone used Cherished Warranty abroad, had to pay and then claim it back?

I spoke to the dealer I bought it from last year and it sounded hopefull it will work out. Don't like the idea of getting saddled with a big bill when it should have been sorted in the UK while it was in the dealers.

·
My car my rules
370 Posts
as a dealer you have to follow the step by step rules of bmw its possible that a chain guide has broken as well, but as per bmws rules you have to fit the longer tensioner to try and fix the fault for a while, once the noise returns a complete timing chain with all the guides is fitted. what happens when you get citron to build the engines....

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dammit, always knew the French are the root of all evil! Fair enough they have to follow the guidelines just bad timing ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts