MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.
I have an r56 2010 1600.

It's doing a nice misfire so ive started to have a nose around. Cant make much sense using ista other than misfire in 1&4.
Anyway, Taken the rocker off and immediately have found that one of the cam followers and it's associated other half( the two parts) On the inlet side - And two from the exhaust side have come away . ( All from Cylinder next to thermostat)
I don't initially see any damage other than that.
Anyone know why this would happen,. Is it common?
Would it have caused any damage and would I be able to get them back in without pulling the head???
Crumbs....... Happy Saturday 馃コ

Premium Member
the only way they'd come out is if not properly on in the first place or potentially with a valve staying down unloading the rocker allowing it to come off

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Just seams odd that's all. 3 all around one piston. What could it mean or does it just happen.
Going to see if i can get them back on and see what happens

Premium Member
As above, I'd be very carefully checking for any valves that are stuck or not fully closed.

If it were me I wouldn't attempt putting it back together as is, will likely end up doing more damage.

Premium Member
it's not odd at all, one piston yes perhaps, but it's actually one cylinders valves operating in pairs so think of it as just one exhaust and one inlet that have perhaps touched each other or the piston, which goes hand in hand with it being out of time. It'd never touch all of them at the same time during disassembly/assembly, or likely at idle/low engine speed necessarily. Two of the pistons are at the opposite end of their stroke when the others are at the top, and of the top two, the valves are on the transition from exhaust close to inlet open on one, and both closed on the other usually unless modified cams are installed, overlap TDC (on the rock) and firing TDC, so it is likely you'd see it on one cylinder.

the valve stems are very thin, easily bent, and this will cause the stem to foul at the base of its guide creating an excessive clearance below the cam as it can hold the valve down despite the effort of the valve spring which on these are actually quite soft.

perhaps check the crowns with an endoscope for 'any' sign of contact, a bent valve, even very slightly having perhaps just touched, even if it appears to now seat, can quickly become a broken one destroying your engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm taking the head off now.
I have the cam locking for my previous 2008 1.4 mini one.
Do these tools also fit the 2010 1.6 mini one ? I can't find the engine code .
Hope it does ...engine looks the same just a 1600

Premium Member
Yes as far as I know the timing tools are the same for the 1.4 and 1.6 n12/n14 engines.

I'm pretty sure you'll find a valve seat adrift in there.

Keep the thread updated 馃憤馃徏

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Magic. That's good then. At least that will fit then. I just need to find somewhere with an O2 sensor removal tool cheap on the shelf! Stalled me for tonight
Am I right also in saying you should only allow the crank locking pin to drop in whilst rotating the wheels forwards

Premium Member
my post amended, I'd read this as though it were the same car previously posted about,

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Can you buy valves other than a main dealer? I've looked on eBay and there are none for an r56 and those that show are actually China rubbish seller.
We're would I get valves . That's assuming I may need some and or a seat or 2

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Is the crank locking procedure the same on a 2010 1.6 as a 2008 1.4? R56

I am trying to get the little stub in the top hole but appear to be coming up against something rather than it slipping in a hole

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Nevermind , maybe I was rotating the wheel the wrong way. That was an hour and a half of my life never get back.
Seamed to drop in when I rotated the wheel the opposite way. Strange. Did I miss something here...

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Any ideas why the chain cassette won't come out? It all appears free , I've removed all the bolts ??? Something holding it in somewhere ...

Only 3 bolts on the side isn't there ??

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a thing. I wondered why there was oil around the back of the engine. The chain tensioner was loose. Not hanging out. It was located but I undid it by hand.

Thoughts ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
So here is what I have found. Is it just a thing that happens?
I do not see any other damage to the piston or the bore or the head. Can it be fixed? What needs to be done ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Yes.
But why and is it ok to have just those four and valves replaced.
A few shops have tried to get me to have all 16 done . It's just not economical.

Can I assume the rest are ok.

We think it's over heated perhaps ?????

1 - 20 of 32 Posts