MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys….looking for some advice/opinions

So ive got an R53 JCW as my weekend/track toy with several mods (cam, pulley, header, ic, brakes, coils, etc) and am looking to get a bvh to get abit more out of it.
Being a MINI lover….Ive also got an R56 Cooper (Non S) as my daily driver which ive gotten rather bored of as the S makes it feel so slow, so im looking to replace it with an Audi TT Mk1 (225).
Now, i know obviously the cost of the two isn't the same but its got to be one or the other for now...

What do people think? Those running BVH's, is it worth it?
Anyone got any experience with the TT Mk1 225? Mpg isnt really an issue for me as drives are very short…

Cheers,
Matt

·
www.jason-steel.co.uk
519 Posts
I've driven a few mk1 TTs. They are quite quick when remapped but I wouldn't say that they're a fun car to drive. They feel very planted in the corners but if you throw them about they do feel quite heavy. I think because of their excellent grip you need to drive them pretty hard and fast to get the same thrills and excitement that a tuned MINI can provide at lower speed.

Jason

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also, do you fit in a TT? I had a bit of a comedy moment when I had a sit in one and then went to get out :lol: Not very graceful!!! Although not as bad as trying to get out of a Chrysler Crossfire (just don't ask!!)

·
MCS DS 06
1,704 Posts
He must have meant Fat not height as I'm 6'3 and had no worries in a TT.
Anyway to answer the question, a TT is a hairdressers car!! Particularly the mk1.
Don't do it. You will look like at tit, and there not a great drivers car. End of.

·
MCS DS 06
1,704 Posts
By the way, I've just been looking at your numerous posts!!!
I think you are making most things up and surely you are not for real ????
You're either very weird or have some sort of other agenda.
Your really starting to piss me off with your idiotic posts.
Fess up or piss off.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Tt's are fun with a ko4-64 turbo conversion,rods, coilovers , bushes rear arb an haldex controller, will scare a few cars.. Very comfy and quick .. But rather easy ..

·
Premium Member
10,904 Posts
Anyway to answer the question, a TT is a hairdressers car!! Particularly the mk1.
Don't do it. You will look like at tit, and there not a great drivers car. End of.
And minis aren't lol your kidding yourself if you think that minis don't have the same rep.

Ive owned 5 tuned cooper s, 1 r56, 1 mk1 tt and still have my mk2 TT if you wqnt it as a daily you'll be making a half decent choice as they are a nice far to get in and drive, the interior is dated now bit still pretty solid and of course the quattro is a real world all weather saviour and yes we nay not get snow in this country but I was doing hill starts in the snow and in the rain yiu just don't have to worry bit obviously depends on how far you want to go with the r53. But surely you'll sell the r56 if you get the tt so you'll have cash for both lol

·
Registered
980 Posts
Fess up or piss off.
Are you talking about yourself?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You've just got to remember they are a mk4 Golf with a new body plonked on so they aren't going to be the best.

But as said the tuning abilities and companies for 20vt are brilliant.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I like both, The TT as CsMatt says is a great car as a daily little tricks like changing the subframe bushes to solid billet types and running defcom 1 front bushes or early mk1 wishbones really wakes the car up and gives all the feed back and turns it into a little weapon.
But unless you popping a decent hybrid on and rods a pulley'd r53 will still be in your mirrors, I dare say will go past you any where over 80mph if your lucky (as I'd say below) coilovers are a must as there like boats and heavy little monkeys also fuel economy with the 4wd and a tune won't be any better from my experience.

I've had quick s3's and I still wouldn't sell my r53 for one.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
You've just got to remember they are a mk4 Golf with a new body plonked on so they aren't going to be the best.

But as said the tuning abilities and companies for 20vt are brilliant.

Not totally true unless your a 2wd TT..

Also tt shell and s3 are noticeably stiffer so handle nicer once mucked about with

·
Bugger
25,316 Posts
Its not a proper quattro system on the TT it is the Haladex system which is nowhere near as good as the ones developed by Audi Sport, for those of you who don't know how it works only the RS models are developed at the Audi Sport factory, the rest (S included) are calibrated by a different set of engineers. I've been in a highly tuned S3 on the same chassis with all the mods done, KW V3's, bushes etc etc and the engine running all the upgrades. It was fast, but it was so dull next to the R53.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Yep that's why I had to get a haldex controller it's a must in my eyes by the sounds of it it was missed on the car you've tested..
I've had a hpa motorsport version it's really night and day ..
But again r53 handling out the box me grin.. A TT will make you cry ! As a daily plodder there fine

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Fess up or piss off.
He drinks a whiskey drink,
He drinks a vodka drink,
He drinks a lager drink,
He drinks a cider drink

:laugh: :lol: Hope it was a good night in the pub Vern :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
10,904 Posts
You lot talking about it like he wants to build a race car lol he doesn't he wants a daily and for that a TT is perfectly fine

1 - 20 of 48 Posts