MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've fancied a Mini Cooper S as a project car for a while and recently purchased a 2nd gen 2006 with 77k. It drives great, but ive noticed it consumes a fair bit of oil.
When the guy sold it to he did mention that there was a slight oil leak so i I thought i could get that looked at, but as time went by, ive noticed a smell of burning oil, plus the odd cloud of smoke out the back while pulling off at the lights.
When starting it first thing in the morning there's no smoke. It's not until it's running, and has been idling at some lights or a junction for a few seconds that it'll kick out a fairly large, dark cloud of smoke. While driving along theres nothing, its literally just when pulling off. I thought possibly something to do with stem seals? Could it be anything else?
There is also some oil on the top if the rocker cover. At first i thought it was just because whoever last topped it up got it everywhere, but it seems to be evenly spread around all of the bolts and all around the edge. Possible rocker cover gasket issue?
So, if anyone has experienced these symptoms before or might know what might need fixing I'd much appreciate any advice!
(Im willing to spend a bit of money sorting it out as its a lovely car and ive got plans to do some work on it..).
Cheers, Tom.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My '04 on 82k had the same issues, it was burning almost a litre a week. I changed the valve stem seals & unblocked the pcv which helped but didn't fix it. The cure was renewing the piston rings. Now it burns practically no oil at all. If you;re only seeing oil after idling, I'd be changing the vlave seals first & see how that goes. However, if you go to the trouble of removing the head, it's not much more effort to drop the sump & renew the rings & I'd consider that for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great, thanks for that! Money wise, im guessing circa £800 for parts and labour if i was to get both done at the same time?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The parts are cheap. A set of rings under £100 (can't remember exactly what I paid) valve seals around £30-40 for a quality set. Then gaskets, head bolts etc. on top. I did mine myself, so can't tell you what a garage would charge but it's a fair bit of labour. If you're handy, it's not an especially difficult job. I expect Sean (Cars or bikes) will be along presently with advice & he can do all this for you to a very high standard & will tell you to the penny what you're in for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brilliant cheers mate. Really appreciate it.
Before i make any upgrades i just want to know the engine is nice and solid! Cheers.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,627 Posts
Sorry just checking is your second gen 2006 “turbo or supercharged“ ?

being pedantic if supercharged I would call it “facelift “

if turbo (as all second gens are) you need to scratch all previous advice... :censored:

·
Registered
130 Posts
˄This˄ I thought the Cooper S turbos only came in after ~2007 and 2006 or earlier are surpercharged.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,627 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
both available in “2006“ if you do a 1 year search in auto trader

Yes, just check and November 2006 onwards seems to be R56

So maybe in the wrong section.

Hey guys,

I've fancied a Mini Cooper S as a project car for a while and recently purchased a 2nd gen 2006 with 77k. It drives great, but ive noticed it consumes a fair bit of oil.
When the guy sold it to he did mention that there was a slight oil leak so i I thought i could get that looked at, but as time went by, ive noticed a smell of burning oil, plus the odd cloud of smoke out the back while pulling off at the lights.
When starting it first thing in the morning there's no smoke. It's not until it's running, and has been idling at some lights or a junction for a few seconds that it'll kick out a fairly large, dark cloud of smoke. While driving along theres nothing, its literally just when pulling off. I thought possibly something to do with stem seals? Could it be anything else?
There is also some oil on the top if the rocker cover. At first i thought it was just because whoever last topped it up got it everywhere, but it seems to be evenly spread around all of the bolts and all around the edge. Possible rocker cover gasket issue?
So, if anyone has experienced these symptoms before or might know what might need fixing I'd much appreciate any advice!
(Im willing to spend a bit of money sorting it out as its a lovely car and ive got plans to do some work on it..).
Cheers, Tom.
Could be the turbo, PCV/valve cover or valve stem etc... Probably best to get get diagnosed properly before carrying out any work as can be expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts