MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure I've ever heard much spoken about bump steer on here. I remember when I first lowered my car everything felt a bit weird, and when I checked my alignment it was a country mile out. Just been watching this video
Different car I know, but it's a great explanation of why everything went out of cock and (potentially) how to fix it. I'd be interested to know everyone's thoughts on this?

·
Bugger
25,293 Posts
Lows + odd sized tyres caused a lot of issues for MT'ers a while ago, people were going down 40mm on 205-40-17's not realising that they were loosing a lot more in terms of handling.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lows + odd sized tyres caused a lot of issues for MT'ers a while ago, people were going down 40mm on 205-40-17's not realising that they were loosing a lot more in terms of handling.
I'll not lie, my handling is rotten in anything other than a straight line. I've got things purposely toe'd in at the front for a couple of reasons. The first is so it naturally pulls itself straight when I hoof it, the second being that I can still get even tyre wear despite running -2.5 camber. It's getting a bit tiresome though. I wonder how much I could improve things by going for something a bit more conventional and possibly raising the rack

·
Bugger
25,293 Posts
I wonder how much I could improve things by going for something a bit more conventional and possibly raising the rack
That won't solve the issue, its with the position of the top of the hub knuckle, no amount of rack raising or roll center bushes will change that, its an issue because of how the strut mounts at the top and the angles there from. You would need to build a totally new front hub set up. I've seen this issue solved once properly and that was Tarzan Yamada's Imprezza which ran in world time attack.

I've driven a turbo mini and TBH the power delivery was not in my view compatible with the chassis. However this one did at least have some cornering ability as it was on 215-45-17 R1R's on V3's at a semi sensible ride height.

You can have looks, power or handling. You can however have only one.

Powerflex has a solution for this:
Its not a solution as it doesn't solve the real issue, see my comment above.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,550 Posts
That won't solve the issue,

You can have looks, power or handling.

efa you forgot cheap and reliable....

2 from the top, one from the bottom....

see my comment above.

EFA ...ask Rachel or Carol

·
Bugger
25,293 Posts
Would it make sense to space the tie rod down the same as the roll centre adjusters?
Sadly not, its the whole thing that will be out of tolerance, the angle of the whole upright changes too much.

Same with the rear, the chassis layout on the rear of the mini could best be called bodged... My old Alfa 145 had a far better layout for the suspension, you could lower it a fair bit without compromise. The front strut of the mini lacks a second level of adjustment which a lot of FWD cars have.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So would the addition of offset front control arm rear bushes (what a mouthful) and a raised rack not work in our application? I've not seen it even referred to let alone done

·
Bugger
25,293 Posts
So would the addition of offset front control arm rear bushes (what a mouthful) and a raised rack not work in our application? I've not seen it even referred to let alone done
Nope, they don't solve the real issue as such. Theres no adjustability at then top of the hub.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
what else did you do to your suspension? You make it sound terrible ;O) Toe in isn't going to be helping you anywhere much I'm sure, if you're not using the camber to corner particularly hard or fast then sacrifice it to 2 or even 1.5, and the rear a bit less. Are you on the standard rear bar?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, standard rear bar. If I had an updated one I'd potentially remove the front one, or fit one from a one lol. Some of the toe-in cancels as the rear squats on hard acceleration and the rest pulls me back in a straight line. Thats what I keep trying to convince myself anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts