MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking at doing a few bits to my Mini Cooper S, but I always get to the point I think best not- don’t want to unbalance the engine and end up with problems.

Rather than modding the engine, is there a way of upgrading it to superior strength parts to avoid the normal problems. It’s had the HPFP done so I’m not sure how long that will last, but I’d willingly spend money parts when the OEM stuff goes wrong.
Or should I just cash it in at 60-70k on the clock and get a newer one?

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
what 'bits' are you wanting to do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what 'bits' are you wanting to do?
Sorry if that was vague, but things like upgrading the hoses, or is that pointless? What would affect the performance in terms of strengthening the engine/improving efficiency without adding too much load. Or the things you would do prior to upgrading power.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found one thing that’s a good example, the oil catch bit, now that sounds like the sort of mod that will save your engine in the long run

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
568 Posts
Sadly I dont think there is any such thing as a bulletproof R56S. Buying one good or bad is always a bit of a lottery.

An N14 is always going to be a bit more prone to issues sadly, though I figure if you buy one thats had most if not all the common issues dealt with in fairly recent times, also that you keep an eye on the oil level and prevent it getting low (as this is what often does for the camchain) you should be OK for the short to medium term.

Lohen have a pretty good list of points to consider......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly I dont think there is any such thing as a bulletproof R56S. Buying one good or bad is always a bit of a lottery.

An N14 is always going to be a bit more prone to issues sadly, though I figure if you buy one thats had most if not all the common issues dealt with in fairly recent times, also that you keep an eye on the oil level and prevent it getting low (as this is what often does for the camchain) you should be OK for the short to medium term.

Lohen have a pretty good list of points to consider......

Yeah it’s had the dreaded HPFP done and been well looked after. Just things like hoses or the oil catching gizmo. Wondering if it’s worth it or best left stock. Just had a major service and runs beautifully so I’m one of the lucky ones!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts