MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dammit! I'm in Ally Pally and just last week chucked some runners into the skip at Wood Green Recycling Centre :cry:

I've got Sparco Evo II's if you want to have a sit in them sometime.
Noooooo! Lol

But seeing as you're here maybe a weekend Mini meet is on the cards?

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Amazing, so no need for anything else then. I'll grab these. Sports seats 4u do the pair plus fittings for £420 With the fitting option takes it to £605 inc vat I'm happy with that. Guys thanks for the input today, it really does help having people on hand to offer up help and suggestions so thank you.

I dont know what their fitting consists of, but the runners that come with them are too short to be of use. OMP do plates to mount too,but they ain't cheap. Just fit them yourself.....
PS you'll need seat airbag fooling resistors as well to avoid dash lights

·
Bugger
25,233 Posts
That is the fear.. Im 6"3 relatively athletic (i am a pt) with a 34" waist. so trying to work out what seats i could fit into. I see some brands do XL variants, but when i spoke to GSM they said to not go for the XL variants inthe mini as they wont fit.
I guess when you live in Scotland you get used to having to make the odd mission to get some things. We are about the same size/weight I'd think I'm 6'4 with a 34' wasit. Of all the main brand seats I've sat in I like Sparco Evo 2's the best. I only just fit the Sparco Rev, its not comfortable for a 34' waist.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
If I had a few quid spare I'd sell mine. Not because I don't like them or their quality (which I think is fine), but i just fancy some Kirkey 38 series in tweed. I'm odd like that

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Pro fit's will be too small I'm certain, I have those also, new just stored a few years, I doubt you'd get in them unless really quite narrow in the waist, I'm a 36" I keep hanging on to at least.

Be cautious of XL seats though, as many are enormous, and that's worse than sitting in stock seats for comfort, having insufficient padding to offer correct support. Don't mistake space for comfort.

Seats do not have to move unless on runners for MOT, but if access to rear seats and belts is restricted by fixed fronts a tester could in theory refuse to test the car but read through yourself if you wish: MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles

Also please be cautious with some cheaper seats which are not so sturdy, and 100% avoid tubular steel framed seats, irrespective of cost they are nasty.

I was down at the weekend, Herts and Harrow, had I known you were looking you could potentially have tried these. I don't use the car that much and could sell these complete with belts, and either type of mount I have, one a lot more adjustable in alloy than the other in steel. I could fit these, complete with airbag resistors, no floor drilling, carpet to cover where the rear seat bases are, and adjusted ready to go. I intend to sell the Cobra's as I can't get in them but will be replacing both sets with Kevlar Cobra Suzuka's or Tillett for the other car most likely. Gradually other stuff will be coming off the car the Sparco's are in for transfer to the other or general stock of spares.

·
Registered
976 Posts
What’s the deal with those belts CoB? Belt angle ok or not ideal? And the belt mounted at the centre tunnel, spreader plate or OEM fixing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
TBH id happilly jump into those, they look decent enough. My issue is on the sizing diagram. They look small af on the internal seat width. Even on XL size theyre only 38cm wide..I ran a tape measure across my hips and pretty sure it was more than that!
I have these seats, I'm 6'3 and was >18st. Lost weight since then but they fit fine mate. If you're more than a 34" waist these are great

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Agree you won’t fit in the Cobras. They come up tight. But just showing that there is stuff out there. A trip to seats4u is worth a shot though. Or find somewhere nearer to home with seats on display. Should have gone to autosport maybe.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Small Suzukas are snug enough for me with a 30 waist, very comfy seat though, quite happily use mine everyday and on long drives. They're not the easiest to get in and out of which may be an issue for some

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Wow, lots of feedback. Ok so ive actually managed to find a place in south london that i reckon i can get to see tomorrow. Its called MSAR Motorsport. They seem to have very positive reviews on google so hopefully they will be a good place to view and try out seats. Racewear | Race Helmets | Race Car Safety Equipment | MSAR London

It was never ideal not trying before buying so this will be a massive help. Might mean i still go ahead with Corbeau but at least ill be happy knowing theyre up to it or not.

Thanks again.

Geoff.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,131 Posts
The Cobra Nogaros looked epic, then i saw the price..now im sad i cant afford them haha!
They were worth every penny. I didn’t spunk for the carbon fibre ones and the guys at Cobra are brilliant to visit. I can only talk from my experience but the Nogaros chauffeured me on trips to the ring. 8+ hrs driving without any aches or pains. Then would support me lap after lap around Spa or Brands Hatch.

I will say this, my advice is avoid Corbeau Clubsports. They were uncomfortable. I don’t care that they’re dirt cheap, they’re unsafe. Look at all the disaster stories. Looking back at all the in car footage I have I was moving around a lot in those seats despite being strapped in with a harness and cage. I’d have been safer in OEM seats and seatbelt.

yes they’ve changed the design. Not by choice. They were god awful and dangerous, any self respecting company wouldn’t have sold them in the first place. They even bunged people free seats to keep them quiet after they snapped in half during a little RTC.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Corbeau 'budget' seats have been reviewed negatively several times, apparently having some considerable flex, so not a seat I would want to use in a quick car on road or track at all, I doubt you'll detect this though just seated in them on a static display so worth mentioning.

The steel side mounts typically sold with seats are less likely to be suitable for you at 6'3" perhaps, at least if fixed straight to floor I'd have thought if you're long in the leg.

I slightly altered the ones I have to suit a driver seat as far back as it would go mounted this way, and the passenger one as far forward but soon changed it.

It felt kind of alright with the steel mounts but I couldn't live with them really. I was too far forward which one can't afford to be, so soon after installing I went and bought the mounts you can see with the adjustment holes, these are great, very strong, FIA compliant and a lot lighter. I repositioned the seat further back so my wrists only just sit on the top of the steering wheel once strapped in with shoulders back in the seat which is correct really, as well as me being further back the seats are tilted back slightly so that arm length is correct but also that the cushion just about offers some kind of thigh support while being as low as I could get them at the 'seat' and still use the specially cut down 6mm allen key to secure the slightly longer high tensile bolts, 'tight'. It also improved the belt angle a little as they're fixed to the stock rear stalk mountings, and of course set to have enough room to freely to work the pedals, heel/toe or heel/side of foot with size 12's haha.

It's not so easy getting all boxes ticked so there's bound to be a compromise somewhere.

The belts aren't quite at the angle they should be as a minimum but probably look worse than they are if only looking at the webbing not the seat angle, anyway that's where they are, I'm not caging the car or altering any more trim as the car's far too nice. Another factor is where the belt holes in the seat are in respect of shoulder height, the Sparco Rev2 is level pretty much for me, the Cobra Suzuka Pro Fit GT the holes are very slightly lower, Tillett B6F XL also good, replaced by the 'Screamer' which I haven't sat in.

My seats aren't mounted to carpet but steel spacer washers meaning the mounts are lightly squashing the carpet but actually having a solid mount when tight as with stock seats, also with load spreading plates that are usually under the floor for harness mounts, instead I have used these placed over the top of the adjustment slots of the mounts spreading the load applied when clamped to the floor considerably.

The lap belts are actually anchored to the mounts.

With the steel mounts this worked but meant a twist in the webbing was necessary on the outside of the seats, just about visible in the above pics, only because the bolt in belt anchors have an angled section where the webbing is sewn in, and the seat mount also had an angled area at the bottom and the two clashed, I drilled the mounts and mounted them as far back and low as was possible without the load spreading plate being visible. I still have the mounts I will later sell on.

The newer mounts are a lot longer, and behind the rear mount to the floor, there is an overhang behind the step in the floor pan/carpet, and there is just enough room there squashing the carpet just a little, to mount the lap belt anchor from below. This is bolted into another load spreading plate leaving only just enough room for the webbing to lead up to the seat in the very small space between the mount and the tunnel. I was determined not to drill anything in this car. The factory lap belt/pre-tensioner is anchored by thinner steel plate just sandwiched between the runner and the seat so this same method of utilising the seat mounts has to be acceptable. The carpet where it turns up the tunnel meant the mount had to be pressed into it as it was tightened, I needed a helping hand for that:

Yes the seat is markedly lower, providing a much greater feel in the car sitting very close to the floor and leaves good space overhead being taller, it works exceptionally well, and with the taller gear lever feeling better again, the car isn't slow on track passengers and observers tell me, I'm pretty sure the seats and positions now do contribute to stability maybe helping this.

At first I did get runners and adapters/sub-frames, but the weight was just silly, even the postie asked me to get them from the van, and they weren't going to fit without some kind of adaption and would have jacked the seats up, total bollocks, so I sacked those off and looked at my floor mounts, which was one of the best decisions made.

Yes getting in bucket seats daily can be a pain, but soon easily practised and perfected is either just falling in the seat with no style whatsoever 😂, or more suitably placing a right hand on the sill cover while I get past the side, easy other than with a reduced door opening. The Sparco Rev2 definitely has an advantage here as the side of the seats drop away toward the front. The Cobra Suzuka plus point is that if you can tolerate shoulders being pushed slightly further forward (think breathing) the upper sides of the seats are less likely to foul the door cards as the Sparco's do slightly in the larger size. The Cobra's are also very slightly better padded and snug as a result, but not a bad thing. I find the Sparco's a really comfortable fit which work on the road but there are times when I wonder if I could use the additional hold when on track, I just wonder if the higher sides which I do like the idea of, might compromise my freedom to operate the pedals how I wish.

Definitely take your time, I looked at these over a few years for a couple of cars, I had in mind Recaro SPG XL's and almost bought on recommendation, am I glad I didn't, they're huge and completely unsuitable.

This is much like selecting crash helmets for bikes or leathers, hugely personal to the user, and needs proper consideration imo.

Mine would be available fully installed as above including harnesses, FIA compliant side mounts, rear carpet section, SRS resistors, longer HT floor bolts, steel spacers, load spreaders, fittings for rear anchors, plus pre and post install full diagnostic fault code checks with report/s emailed ;O)

·
Registered
812 Posts
30 inch waist? I bet you're one of those annoying people who can get jeans to fit in TK MAX
Yep no problems trying to get tradesmans/work trousers in my size is a different story though...

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
They were worth every penny. I didn’t spunk for the carbon fibre ones and the guys at Cobra are brilliant to visit. I can only talk from my experience but the Nogaros chauffeured me on trips to the ring. 8+ hrs driving without any aches or pains. Then would support me lap after lap around Spa or Brands Hatch.

I will say this, my advice is avoid Corbeau Clubsports. They were uncomfortable. I don’t care that they’re dirt cheap, they’re unsafe. Look at all the disaster stories. Looking back at all the in car footage I have I was moving around a lot in those seats despite being strapped in with a harness and cage. I’d have been safer in OEM seats and seatbelt.

yes they’ve changed the design. Not by choice. They were god awful and dangerous, any self respecting company wouldn’t have sold them in the first place. They even bunged people free seats to keep them quiet after they snapped in half during a little RTC.
After going to the only nearest motorsport shop that had a dozen seats, I'm going to hold fire on the purchase. I sat in a bunch of seats and to be honest nothing really stood out as nice, comfortable. Even the Recaro Pole Position was a bit mneh.

The guy in the shop recommended I go for the Sparco Grid which unfortunately he didn't have in as he had sold 4 pairs in the last few weeks.

So all I've really learned is that it's going to take some serious shopping and a trip in the future to GSM in Nottingham will have to happen. Unless someone near by or at a car meet I can sit in some cars and get an idea.

I do love those Nogaros, and who knows if I can sit in one and it's really nice then maybe I'll stump up. Would mean selling my interior I think at that point to justify the purchase which I was holding off on doing just incase I want to put it back to stock.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts