MiniTorque.com banner

Boker's Dale Winton inspired Cooper Shopping Trolley

16K views 158 replies 25 participants last post by  Bokers 
#1 · (Edited)
As it says on the tin! My silver/black facelift R50 cooper in all its standard glory including wheel gap!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mini

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mini

It has a red and black half leather interior, sat nav and air con as standard.

So it already has a massive wish list and MT has taught me a lot too. Not least how much fail wheel gap is!!!

I originally was just going to put a stereo in it and maybe an exhaust. Oh how wrong I was...

So ill see some of you at Lohen for the dyno day for a pre mod reading.

Soon it's off to 1320 for a health check, some poly bushes and a dimple.

Shopping list mostly in order:
Air filter + hosing to sort some direct flow to the airbox and bypass the resonator.
OBX exhaust manifold.
Some sort of cat back if it has much gain over price.
Coil pack, NGK iridium plugs, new leads.

Ill hopefully get that lot done by the new year. Then onto:

KW V2 lows.
Team Dynamics wheels.
Some decent rubber.

Not clued up on stopping but ill need to do something to add more stopping power.

Lightened flywheel.
Thumper head.
Possibly a tune.

If I go for injectors and a cam then definitely a tune.

That's all the performance and handling mods for now till I learn more.

There will be some cosmetics too such as S skirts and maybe some front/rear bumpers and so on but that's a back seat to making it quicker.

So ill need a lot of help ;) but it will be awesome at some point.

Then if I do get an S most of these mods can be transferred so its not a waste. Win.

See less See more
#3 ·
You sure are a newbie ;)

Let me clarify a couple of things:

"Air filter + hosing to sort some direct flow to the airbox and bypass the resonator." <- Unless you want to spend some money or if you can get hands to an ultrik\Minimania Cai, stick with the stock airbox and add a KN filter .

"...Coil pack" - you don't need it.. there are mini's up to 400bhp using the stock one, so keep it.

"Lightened flywheel.Thumper head." - nothing bad about this, but your gearbox is made out of cheese, só if you reach 130bhp, i would have the money ready for a 6speed conversion or for a rare 5spd Getrag.(later models)

"If I go for injectors and a cam then definitely a tune." - You dont need injectores till you reach 145bhp+(real hp.. not talking about shitty dynos), and i can tell you that reaching that value is not simple as buying a lohen stage 3 kit. About the tune, i recommend a custom one, otherwise you will never get the full potential of the performance mods.

EDIT: Just noticed you already have a Facelift so you already have a 5pd getrag(good for you)

#6 ·
Basically if you want power just buy an S or do a conversion :lol:, the amount of money you would spend on tuning an R50 for around 30bhp you could spend making decent R53 power. Simples

But one thing that's worth on a R50 is decent cat-back I'd recommend play mini exhaust! This along with a K&N panel filter made mine sound perfect.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info man :)

Firstly it mustn't have been clear but that's exactly what I meant. Panel filter inside the existing housing with a direct feed to it. Hadn't heard of the other two CAI kits. I'll have a hunt to find them and see what the ££ is.

As for the coil pack its being replaced as the oem one usually rots at some point so it was only if its pony. But good to know its not worth it if not.

Good to know about the injectors. It would only happen with a cam and a head so hopefully at that stage I would be around about that kind of power.

Indeed it's a facelift. So it should have a getrag box in it and hopefully not made of cheese!!

Thanks for the info though man :) I'm learning all the time.

Also the tune won't just be a superchips. Maybe at first to give it a go until it gets serious and worth paying for a proper session.

#5 ·
No prob, but look, you have to understand that to make power 145\150bhp you will have to spend a lot of money.
As far as i know(and i'm sure i'm forgetting someone), only me and nickbmw needed to change the injectors, and believe me.. a lot of money was spent till we got to that stage...

#16 ·
Well.. I wanted facelift gearbox etc along with the conversion, so best option was trying to find a written off facelift R53 (that had been shunted anywhere other than the front end) then use all engine parts to move across! Alone mostly they were £2k+

I then spoke to my mate about it and was worried things could go wrong etc and if I payed somewhere to do it your talking around an extra £1k. You then have the problem of trying to sell parts (if people want them) off the written off S thats engineless in your hands which you'd have to store and eventually scrap - the shell/chassis. Which could rekindle some money but not much.

I just thought wasn't worth the time/effort/money and could save up to 1k to spend it on engine mods for my newly brought R53 which is not much as a risk to go wrong because its been built that way from factory.

#20 ·
Cheers but I guess it's fun to have a NA mini that's quick and ill be buying most of the mods for a conversion or R53 anyways so enjoy them first and then upgrade to the whineeee when I've saved the much bigger wedge for that. So it's kind of a build up and then deciding if I can stretch to the upgrade :)

#26 ·
Just got back rom getting the tyres fitted. Through various fuckups I don't have RainSports. I've got some Goodyear run flats.

Now noob question of the day: I was told that the rims I have are for run flat tyres only and having non run flats will leak air?! BULLSHIT surely!?

#31 ·
You tool, why on earth did you let them do that? All of us run non runflats and you fell for a tyre fitters bullshit. Take it back ask for a refund for misselling you tyres you dont need and didn't ask for. Say you rang Mini uk and was informed it was a load of bull used by tyre garages to boost profit margin.

DO IT. AND DO IT NOW!
FUCK. This is why I asked for the RainSports. I'm no mechanic but a rim is a rim surely?!

#37 ·
I honestly have to step away from the epic fail that has occurred here today. God only helps those who help themselves, I'm not saying I'm God, I'm just saying we have something in common.

Sorry bro, your on your own. Take them back and ask for a refund and kick up a fuss. Be a man.
Your new sig :thumbup:
I'll let you know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.