1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I want to upgrade my brakes.
Currently i have the stock 4pot JCW brakes and i want to buy 6pot GP2-Bmw Performace(same) brakes front and rear.

This is the OEM code for rear
34216786743(left)
34216786744(right)

The GP2 vs the Bmw Performance have different adapters so i will buy the GP2 in order to be plug n play.
As for the rear i dont know if i will need or not adapters.

Is it possible to fit the rear on R56? Plug N play? Adapters? No chance?

Also ..Stock Gp2 brakes comes with 330Discs and for BMW Performance have 338discs.
Will i be able to put bigger than 330 on Gp2 like 338/340/350 discs?
Anyone know the width of the disc on GP2? 28mm? 32mm? I dont want to buy the stock discs and also i dont want to buy discs that wont be able to fit on the brakes-car.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
WP_20170818_003.jpg

on the rear they'll be massively over braked

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
You’ll loose your handbrake and the BMW has a drum brake for the handbrake on the inner of the bell of the disc.

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You’ll loose your handbrake and the BMW has a drum brake for the handbrake on the inner of the bell of the disc.
Pobsey are you sure about that?
I know that if i wanted a 4pot for rear brakes i had to do adouble setup rear.
2 calipers for brakes and 2 for handbrake.
However the brakes from the 335 E92(Performance) haveno ebrake or something and someone told that these will work as "stock" if i manage to fit them with adapters etc.

Thank you for your help Pobsey

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
Gp2 disc is 26mm thick
Guessing you could go custom disc with a custom mounting plate but at what cost for minimal benfit

The gp2 uses the same rear caliper as the jcw as the 1 pot caliper has the handbrake mechanism. The e8x and e9x which the bmw performance brakes are from are 100% drum handbrake, the caliper you posted the link to is hydraulic only.
Thinking about it, the rear disc of the 335i is a vented disc so at least 22mm thick, all r50-r56 use unvented rear discs at just 10mm thick - so custom discs are the only way you could go.
Nothing is impossible, you could use a cable operated second caliper for your handbrake, but for minimal benefit, I’m guessing your car has the larger 280x10 jcw rear brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
Reactions: saldi

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gp2 disc is 26mm thick
Guessing you could go custom disc with a custom mounting plate but at what cost for minimal benfit

The gp2 uses the same rear caliper as the jcw as the 1 pot caliper has the handbrake mechanism. The e8x and e9x which the bmw performance brakes are from are 100% drum handbrake, the caliper you posted the link to is hydraulic only.
Thinking about it, the rear disc of the 335i is a vented disc so at least 22mm thick, all r50-r56 use unvented rear discs at just 10mm thick - so custom discs are the only way you could go.
Nothing is impossible, you could use a cable operated second caliper for your handbrake, but for minimal benefit, I’m guessing your car has the larger 280x10 jcw rear brakes

Ok so help me get this clear because im not sure if you get what you are saying so.

1.As the Gp2 brakes have 330X26discs whats the Max diameter i can get and whats the thinner-thicker i can get? Or the only way i can do in terms of thickness is 26mm?

2.As for the rear....So pretty much i have no choice? Either i stay with the stock jcw rear brakes or i have to go with double setup(1 for brakes 1 for handbrake). There isnt any other car which have bigger rear calipers-discs and use the the "technology" with R56 in order to fit them?

A few people offer a different relocation bracket
for the jcw rear caliper for a bigger diameter disc
(Reyland I think) that could be more cost effective with a better pad ?
The problem isnt only the discs though...i need bigger calipers :/
(maybe i havent understand correclty what are you talking about)

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
Ok so help me get this clear because im not sure if you get what you are saying so.

1.As the Gp2 brakes have 330X26discs whats the Max diameter i can get and whats the thinner-thicker i can get? Or the only way i can do in terms of thickness is 26mm?

2.As for the rear....So pretty much i have no choice? Either i stay with the stock jcw rear brakes or i have to go with double setup(1 for brakes 1 for handbrake). There isnt any other car which have bigger rear calipers-discs and use the the "technology" with R56 in order to fit them?

The problem isnt only the discs though...i need bigger calipers :/
(maybe i havent understand correclty what are you talking about)
I believe the caliper can only accommodate 26mm thick discs, you wouldn’t want to be using a thinner disc as you are more likely to warp the discs - thicker is better

Diameter - if you can source some with the correct offset and pcd you would then need custom adaptors to relocate the caliper away from the hub, but this would then limit wheel choice to 18” at a guess - I run the Renault megane rs brembo caliper and gp2 discs with 17” team dynamics wheels and they are very close to touching the caliper.
My advice stick with the oem disc £100 a disc makes sense or go for an off the shelf BBK but at much more cost and replacement discs are £3-400 each!

I’m not aware of any other cars that use a combined caliper like the mini.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,760 Posts
If your really hung up on changing the rears then look at willwood in the states I’m sure they do a 12” kit,
calipers and pads, for less than €1000.

Anything else more involved will be far more pain than gain for what it’s worth on the rear, for the limited extra performance you would gain.
You would be better advised throwing that extra budget at the fronts if money is no object, be that cooling ducting vents, 2 part discs, titanium plates, stainless pistons or better Alcon calipers and bigger discs to begin with.

I got GP2 style calipers to keep integrity of a oem design, and mostly road use which works for my particular project, but if you are buying a complete new kit at dealer prices, and then spending more again on different rears, and then again on track pads perhaps you should be looking at a motorsport solution to begin with ?

Ps; the reyland kits is £500-600 this moves out the existing caliper to accept 320mm x 10mm 2 part-disc

good luck and let’s see the finished project here (y)

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,760 Posts
amend to suit your exact application

+ I’m sure you need to add taxes/ shipping etc

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have found a solution before i start searching for the Gp2 because actually i dont like the looks however their weight/performance of these brakes is excellent.
My first thought was for Cayenne in front but they are way to heavy...then i found a solution with...

Brembo 6pot from Masserati brand new with 330X32 2piece(aluminum center) discs+pads and with 4pot brembo rear brand new with discs(2piece)+pads PLUS 1 more pair of 1piston calipers rear for handbrake.
This solution costs 3500euro fitted on my car. However besides that the cost is not that low i didnt like the person/shop that provide me this solution so i would rather avoid it.

After some more talk with brakes i "end up" believe that the Gp2 brakes is the ultimate solution for front brakes for MINIS...BUT i have to find out what discs(2 pieces) are able to be fitted on these brakes.

As for the rears?? This is what im looking for most....Cause i dont know either what calipers or discs im able to put for rear.

I can buy the Gp2 without discs for 1400euro brand new.

I'm so damn confused.

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
amend to suit your exact application

+ I’m sure you need to add taxes/ shipping etc
As for this kit....This caliper looks smaller than the JCW rear.. ://
isnt it?
those are not even 2pot.

So is this rear brakes a solution that provides performance+looks ? ://

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,760 Posts
As for this kit....This caliper looks smaller than the JCW rear.. ://
isnt it?
those are not even 2pot.

So is this rear brakes a solution that provides performance+looks ? ://
I honestly have no idea if the willwood is an upgrade beyond the thermal capacity of a thicker/wider disc ?

I believe that you should just fit the front gp2 kit as planned at that price and revisit rears at a later date if really needed.

my jcw roadster had been stood for a number of years before I purchased it, it’s done nearly 10k with several track days with lots of stopping work at ends of long straights using mostly carbotec 8 fronts on the original jcw kit, and the rear discs still shows pitting from storage, very little is happening back there with all that weight on the nose (yes all suspension bushes and roll bars etc have been upgraded)

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
Reyland motorsport do a two piece disc and a floating disc for the GP2 £585/pr and £650/pr

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
mine are OEM GP2 330/26 discs, I could have messed with the BMW version I guess having them drilled and the brackets altered etc but wanted them available off the shelf and to fit under stock 17's specifically which they do perfectly, with 11mm spacers.

for the BMW Performance rears it's a good idea if you can make them fit but I expect an unnecessary disc size imo, vented is a good idea as these work harder than some think but you don't need the rear braking of a medium sized FR saloon/touring model on an FF hatch/clubby really, it'll be disproportionate.

otherwise all you need to do is run a hydraulic handbrake, don't waste time doubling up the calipers, you're just adding weight aren't you, either work on your idea or stick with R56S JCW/GP2 rears which is what I use fwiw to complement the fronts,

the BMW Performance are 338/26

on the R56/55/57 etc the car is supposed to be coded for the sport brake retrofit if it wasn't original, meaning the JCW 4 pot option but the same would apply for anything bigger I expect?

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys thank you all for your time.
I have get tons of infos and now i'm more confused than i was before!
it is pretty hard choice to see what should i do especially for the rear.
After some extra research ive found that some Ksport,Yellow Speed and Forge Motorsports have also BBK(front) for minis

Also ive seen that YellowSpeed have these with inner drum.
i know that YellowSpeed isnt Alcon or Brembo or Ap however the reviews out there seems to be good for them.

If you have something negative or positive to mention for those brands(brakes) please let me know.

I will pause this BBK thing since its more messy than i thought it was..I will focus on my rest upgrades and i will be back soon:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts