MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I asked about engine sleeves or cylinder support system from the tuner doing my engine, he said it wouldn't be required with ~300bhp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So how many of you guys are running sleeved engines then?
When I decided to have the full rebuild, it was simply a case of looking at it thinking 'Why wouldn't I?' while the whole thing was apart anyway. Same case for cams. I decided to have a perfectly good engine rebuilt too - I'd not had any failure before hand.

My only real consideration moving forward, is will I want to run a Garrett rather than a Hybrid. I can go either way now at any time. Future proof at every opportunity at the best value for money.

I don't want to knock your build; just be careful wishing for 300+ when you didn't quite (you could well be fine) proof for it.

Dont chase numbers - just make it great to drive.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do you think running 300+ on a fully forged engine, all lightened and balanced plus the crank, flywheel etc will be too much? It's not a sleeved block. Block work done was decked block, bored +0.5, honed and crosshatched. Head ported and polished, 3angle valve job, the lightest of skims to clean the face of it and that's pretty much it.
When I had my CSS installed (not liners or sleeves), it was guaranteed to withstand up to 500HP. I've been over that for about 5K miles and seven or so months, and still going strong.

Reactions: knt

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
So your turbo isn’t actually a hybrid? If so I doubt you will get to 300bhp without super high IATs or the need for water / meth.

I’m in a similar scenario at the moment. I have bought a JCW car with what was thought to be a Turbo Issue, but pulling it off and inspected it it’s totally fine.
They just had the bottom end and head refreshed to for stock parts, bit of a shame as it was a missed opportunity to forged it or put bigger and better valves in.

So whilst it’s off I’ll have it converted to a hybrid.
I’ve got three other cars, one at 280bhp, one at 330 bhp and the other at 400bhp.

Once too get to 280ish the butt feel difference between that and 350 isn’t really noticeable.

So I will just cap the power level at ~280 and be happy in the knowledge that it’s hopefully running cooler and will help longevity.

I’ll watch your progress closely, cracking work so far!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
To be honest that list above and other replacement parts, water pump, vanos sensor, binning the rads etc for new because they looked all of their 96k has amounted to £5.5k in parts! I'd really like cams, but it's a question of where do you stop?

I did just spy these..Oranje charge £710 for Newman cams, but these guys came in at £580 for the same cams

Then I've been offered a new coolerworx for £495 and an arm intake for £295 all brand new on a group discount...need more money! HELP!
Can you pm me details of the group buy please, Id be in on that!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure about the coolerworx prices, but with AEM intake going prices today I'll be surprised you can pick one up for N14 for £295 in a group buy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So after a bloody long wait, the car is back and slowly adding in the miles. Feels so good to be back on the road.

Plan is to do 500 miles, drop the oil and filter out, and get a new map on the car to remove that manic map. Then track day at brands on the 5th August!

Cheers for any and all input much appreciated.

Collection Day:

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Who's gonna do your mapping?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Can you post up some graphs of AFR, boost, and ignition advance for your power runs when you get going on the mapping. If be interested to see how it looks.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's a long way from me, but I'm thinking maybe Dervtech, or Sussex Road & Race. But I'm open minded about it and would love feedback on who others have used.

Happy to supply as much info as I can once it's done.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Celtic Tuning is remapping my car at the moment. It's a long process doing it remotely and data logging power runs. We're on version 15 of the software now but it's all starting to come together. I'll get it on the rollers shortly and see where we're at.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Celtic Tuning is remapping my car at the moment. It's a long process doing it remotely and data logging power runs. We're on version 15 of the software now but it's all starting to come together. I'll get it on the rollers shortly and see where we're at.

Wouldn’t touch them with a barge poll personally!
Most it them are pre loaded maps for generic set ups. I hope yours is better than the one they did on my best mates S3

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
This is a custom map . Was it the chocolate BAM engine in the S3?

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
The problem with Celtic is they are now a Franchise. So anyone can buy the name and access to there generic maps, within reason. That is why I wouldn’t use them personally and from the past experience I have witness.

I’m not great with VAG stuff, it was the better BAM engine used in the TT etc if that means anything to you?

So long as your getting a true custom map by someone experienced mate go for it. Good luck.

Back on thread, I’m Looking forward to the mini dyno results mate. I’m booked in for a retune myself in a hybrid next moment so I’ll be interested to do an overlay on our results. Curious to see how much extra spool time is there in the boost curve compared to your updated JCW.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts