MiniTorque.com banner
321 - 340 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Be good to know how those tips impact DB meters @ Bedford and other tracks
Before I removed the SCS I downloaded a DB meter to my phone and at idle it was 89db. I'll try it again and see what it is now. I know it's not the same but just as a comparison I'll see if there has been much difference.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,524 Posts
surely the tips will reduce drone now

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
So I've made a small bit of progress allowing me to run the bov and the MAF on my old stage 3 rpm map on the stock ECU.

I wasn't aware, but you could unscrew the turbosmart bov and insert some shims/washers to increase the spring tension to keep the bov piston from creaping open. It's not perfect (i've got 2 shims in there) the afrs hover around 15-17 as you approach a standstill and then after a few seconds drop to 14.5 but as soon as throttle is applied its good.

My new issue that I've found since ditching the SCS is that I can only make around 10lbs of boost. When the tuner tried to map the boost via the stock harness they cut into the boost solenoid wiring and ran it direct to the Mac valve to allow the SCS to see boost.

Now I'm not on it I need to connect the Mac valve to my turbosmart eboost2 controller which was turned off a while back after the headgasket failed a few days after the big turbo install.

So I need to trace the wires from the eboost2 and then make the connection. Jason (Millsys being the legend that he is offering advice to this numpty here on what to do) Been away this weekend so not had a chance to investigate and make the connection.

There is a small hope once connected I can make anywhere up to 22.6lbs which was what peak boost I ran on the hybrid.

There was a glimmer of hope nick K would map the car, but again he's shown he's not interested via a third party who asked for me, so I'm binning that idea and will find someone who can.

The French and Greeks seem to be making silly HP, I've no idea if it's worth pursuing a distant map file, maybe one I can then data log on? Or in what seems like deja vu does anyone know someone who absolutely will map the car in the UK?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Did you ever speak to Graham from Celtic Tuning? He has the skills to do the mapping for you on the stock ECU. It's just a question of whether he can be bothered to take it on. The big power custom maps don't make the same kind of money as the stage 1 developments. He did a custom map for me but it was probably because I'm a dealer for Celtic Tuning so he didn't charge me for it or anything.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
8,076 Posts
You looking for a map too?
not decided to go balls deep yet but everything is good on the rest of the car for 330 hp if I did and 1320 would be my preferred destination as they have done all the other work on the car

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
not decided to go balls deep yet but everything is good on the rest of the car for 330 hp if I did and 1320 would be my preferred destination as they have done all the other work on the car
Nice, 330bhp definitely makes the mini quite a rapid car. I was a little light on the torque before at 288ftlbs so hopefully get a bit more too on the new tune.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Booked in for end of the month. They want to do leak down test and smoke test and pull the injectors first before mapping. They are the original injectors, and I do have a spare rail. Should I be looking to upgrade the Injectors and send them the rail and new upgraded Bosch items if they're going to the effort of checking the spray patterns?

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,524 Posts
it'll be because they now have injector service capability so can test them and change the little filters in the nozzles which I expect they'll be looking to do

Reactions: GC1980 and Alski

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Hey all, car goes gets collected tomorrow for 1320. Now seen that a leaking turbo stud i have is actually snapped inside. 🙆 I don't have the tools to drill and tap it out and fit a new one but what sort of time/costs would I be looking at when I ask them to fix it?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Gas Vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Eyelash Tread Hood

Sorry tried replying earlier but it kept failing. It's the top stud that's gone so access is pretty good. The stud is in the other half, so I'm guessing into the turbo. 😬

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
That looks horrible to repair. I would start by removing the downpipe and if you're lucky then there will be something left that you can get mole grips onto. It will need to be heated cherry red before you even try moving it. If there's nothing left to grip then you're looking at drilling it out and using a stud extractor or hammering in an impact torx bit. You need to be accurate with the drill and get it exactly down the middle of the stud so it doesn't veer into the exhaust housing.

I've done quite a few of these over the years and they're rarely straight forward and you can easily waste an hour on it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
That looks horrible to repair. I would start by removing the downpipe and if you're lucky then there will be something left that you can get mole grips onto. It will need to be heated cherry red before you even try moving it. If there's nothing left to grip then you're looking at drilling it out and using a stud extractor or hammering in an impact torx bit. You need to be accurate with the drill and get it exactly down the middle of the stud so it doesn't veer into the exhaust housing.

I've done quite a few of these over the years and they're rarely straight forward and you can easily waste an hour on it.

Yeah that's not exactly what I wanted to hear! At that point whatever happens, new studs all round. I've called 1320 and put them on notice. Wether they'll get to it today before any of the tests get underway I doubt it. Thank god I opted to V band the downpipe in sections. You can remove all of that in about 10-15 mins now.

And Alski, spot on mate! I'm at one at not being surprised anymore. It is what it is.. shit. But we move on and on to the next.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

321 - 340 of 351 Posts