MiniTorque.com banner
261 - 280 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
You should receive a reply but perhaps some of the businesses are no more with all the last 2 years? Or they are individuals and not businesses?

I’ve tried the last week to get a sunroof fitted in my R50. Turns out Webasto have stopped production of aftermarket roofs and there’s no stock anyway

·
Registered
287 Posts
Tell me about it, its quite frustrating. Another one of those "if id known it would be this much trouble" i wouldn't have bothered with a big turbo setup. Anyway im here now and getting frustrated! Nick K hasnt replied as have many other tuners which is just shit really. people shouldn't be in business if they cant do the basics like reply.
Have you tried contacting Lou over on NAM / Products | Prototype-R ?

If you're not thinking to go standalone / wire-in ECU.

I think doing anything over a stage 3 is going to be expensive no matter which option you take.

·
Registered
JCW N18
109 Posts
Lou from Prototype-R is THE MAN!
Great tuner and GREAT man. You wont regret it if he tune your car.

Reactions: knt

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
It's been a little while since I posted in here, I hope this isn't old news but I've now (despite saying a while back no to SCS) bought the SCS delta ECU and it's booked in for mapping next week now.

Quite excited.

Recently added oil temp and pressure guage along with afr and wideband courtesy of Millsys Autos.

A certain amount of peace of mind seeing good oil pressure on start up and driving it around! 🤣

Nankang tyres are now perishing with cracks appearing in the tread so will likely look to replace those. I'm driving the car to Le Man's in June and I don't fancy these letting go.

Anyway can't wait to get some footage and numbers up here. Genuinely don't know what to expect, other than that I'd like it do do more than 340/350 but let's see.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's been a little while since I posted in here, I hope this isn't old news but I've now (despite saying a while back no to SCS) bought the SCS delta ECU and it's booked in for mapping next week now.

Quite excited.

Recently added oil temp and pressure guage along with afr and wideband courtesy of Millsys Autos.

A certain amount of peace of mind seeing good oil pressure on start up and driving it around! 🤣

Nankang tyres are now perishing with cracks appearing in the tread so will likely look to replace those. I'm driving the car to Le Man's in June and I don't fancy these letting go.

Anyway can't wait to get some footage and numbers up here. Genuinely don't know what to expect, other than that I'd like it do do more than 340/350 but let's see.
We're going to be needing plenty of detail about what this can and can't do.

I have all my digits crossed for you.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Mini Update: Thursday I went to Track N Road in Rainham for the SCS installation and map. Annoyingly the new air filter I ordered to go with a different reducer pipe for the MAF delete didn't show up after Royal Mail sent it to a different county! Despite this I managed to fabricate up a spacer for the neck of the K&N and got it on for the Dyno.

The SCS didn't take long to install and hook it up. Unfortunately it wasnt long before we started running into problems with the software. There didn't seem to be the correct settings for the car, things like the crank sensor was only showing up as a Honda civic. Cut to nearly 4 hours later (and due to it being a bank holiday with the shop shut and no support) I stumbled across a mobile number for SCS on their insta page.

Fortunately I got through to Matthew at SCS who although busy at the time came back to us a short while later. The software we were looking at was titled GDi6. Some of you may know that the correct software is In fact GDi4. So one can only assume they sent out the wrong ecu 🤦‍♂️

Lots of parameters were well off. Despite this, with some guidance on navigating the software we managed to get some Dyno runs in. Building up from percentages of throttle before adding boost to dial in the AFRs, the car started to lay down some runs. The meth at this time was on the
Snow controller and had the spray starting at 6lbs and staggered it to 16lbs for the full spray @ 80/20 mix.

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Light Hood

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

With the runs we found that the afrs dropped a touch into the tens as the throttle was lifted. They'd seen this before with a car running meth and deduced that it was down to the car still spraying.

When I go back, we will be looking to tap into the SCS and have that control the meth rather than the Snow Performance controller.

With around 18 psi it made 293bhp. I'm not sure where that sits in terms of the overall potential, but I do wonder if things would be different had we had the correct software to start with and had more time to tune.

Torque was low at around 255ftlbs but this was a flat curve. I expressed I didn't want a huge amount of torque low down and I guess they took that into account. I'm certain that number will go up when we finalise things, maybe cap it at around 420nm?

Time was getting away from us and at around 7pm it was called off. A disappointing day on a few fronts, but the car didn't blow and I'll take that as a small victory! Just as I set off, I quickly realised I had no power steering, revs or Speedo. 🤦‍♂️ So back to the stock ECU to get me home. Another illustration of just how not so much plug n play this GDi6 was.

I have higher hopes the GDi4 will deliver the goods.

Will update after the next dyno session next Saturday.

Geoff.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
That looks like a good start to be fair even without the correct software on the ECU.

What sort of boost should these big turbo be without blowing the engine up?
Good question. Seems opinions vary globally! Lol. In all honesty if I can get 340/350 I'll be very happy. At 280 I could just about hang on to my mates mapped Golf R to 140 and similar to a stage 2 S3 rolling on fast A roads so an extra 60-70bhp would be wild!

I definitely don't want to blow the motor trying for something that isn't really there. I understand stock fueling is getting pushed hard if indeed running out hence the mapping in with meth.

I spoke to SCS today and by all accounts the GDi4 has been superseded by the GDi6. Just means it can go from 4-6 cylinders to cater for the BMW's. Settings need to be checked and they will review some of the data too before the weekend.

Will update accordingly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That looks like a good start to be fair even without the correct software on the ECU.

What sort of boost should these big turbo be without blowing the engine up?
Back in the day when I had a GTX2860R, it was running faithfully with up to 32 PSI boost. Problem was, it peaked boost around 4K RPM then dropped down to about 26PSI at 7.5K RPM. Still made about 360 WHP and 400 ft-lbs torque, but after awhile I got greedy, so bigger turbo and tube manifold. Totally different dyno curves and results, but that's a different thread. My point being --- the GTX2860R can safely produce at least 32PSI IF the engine is "prepared" for it. This one isn't, but it can still be a screamer at 22PSI.

Reactions: knt

·
Registered
287 Posts
Back in the day when I had a GTX2860R, it was running faithfully with up to 32 PSI boost. Problem was, it peaked boost around 4K RPM then dropped down to about 26PSI at 7.5K RPM. Still made about 360 WHP and 400 ft-lbs torque, but after awhile I got greedy, so bigger turbo and tube manifold. Totally different dyno curves and results, but that's a different thread. My point being --- the GTX2860R can safely produce at least 32PSI IF the engine is "prepared" for it. This one isn't, but it can still be a screamer at 22PSI.
So, lets say 25 PSI would be safe and that should net under 400bhp, possible?

·
Registered
168 Posts
So, lets say 25 PSI would be safe and that should net under 400bhp, possible?
25 PSI is marginal for safety and how close to 400BHP will depend on mods. Possible? Yes, I have old dyno charts showing it. However, my mod list is extensive and the engine has been "prepared". Talk with your tuner before going with 25PSI.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Evening all, hope you're all well.

Ok where do I start? So the car had its second map session yesterday. In similar fashion to my last post about how things went we still had wipers going, noisy fuel pump, and no power steering, revs or Speedo.

After a bit of head scratching and eventually speaking with Matthew at SCS, turns out pins 34+35 on the CAN BUS were the wrong way around. This brought back rev counter, power steering and wipers had stopped going. Fuel pump in the tank was still buzzing and squeaky see my clip. More on that later.

On to the rollers now and the methanol is still too much for the car and it (according to Jim, Steve's assistant at Track n Road) is almost flooding the engine it's spraying so much. It's into the ici pipe and all 4 cylinders. I'm not sure on jet size for those wondering. This is Snow Performances Stage 2.5 pump and controller (not the most sophisticated controller I'm guessing)
Vehicle Speedometer Odometer Plant Motor vehicle

Speedtech Motorsport direct port meth and one nozel in the ici pipe. A lot of meth apparently. 🤷

He was concerned as it was dropping the afrs into the 9s and 10s on lift of as it kept spraying, that it could flood the engine and possibly bend a valve so we upped the limit it would start spraying and pushed it's max spray to 30psi to be well clear of where we would cap boost. Eventually we settled on 18lbs minimum spray.

With improved afrs and now having better control of the boost which they didn't have in the previous Dyno (see image below), squiggly line)
Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Slope

We started working with boost, going from wastegate, 15, 18, 20 +23lbs.

Fueling was actually not an issue with the boost we were running, only getting a bit tighter at 23lbs apparently but still ok.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

20lbs made 330bhp. Initially that was going to be the last run but I was looking for a bit more, Steve upped it to eventually 23lbs, but for only 20bhp the risk reward ration of 3lbs of boost more for 10bhp didn't seem worth it. But I chose to split hairs a bit and 20.5lbs made 336bhp and 288fltbs.

If you'd seen my face at the time it probably would have been a little disappointed. I know you shouldn't chase numbers but I think we all do it a bit. Steve who is an absolute legend kind of guy, who's been there done that and got the t shirt changed a couple of calculation losses and said "here is that better for you?" 357bhp. Their Dyno is quite reserved, and as they said if you take it to another Dyno it probably will do 350/360bhp.

It doesn't make loads of torque as requested, and as Oldbrokenwind suggested on his gtx2860r peak torque also comes in around 4k. It does feel a little bit laggy purely because you get quite a hit of boost all at once. I think it's something I could get used to, especially on track as when you work the gearbox you'll always be up around that rev range or not far off, even in a slower 2nd gear hairpin it will probably be near 3k. Once on boost its rapid, climbs the revs very quickly. On my first go I hit the limiter in 3rd because it got away from me and I was just concentrating on the unfamiliar roads ahead of me. Had quite the grin when I came back. For the first time being wide open throttle on the big turbo, hearing the gtx wail was a lot of fun. And no pops and bang maps is just the best decision ever.

Of course as seems the way it didn't stay happy days for long. Aside of the noisy fuel pump I said my good byes and made my way home. Some of the on board computer functions weren't working, and just as I was cruising passed an unmarked cop car I lost power/throttle. Dipping the clutch the revs pulsed at 2k/2.2k. I managed to keep some momentum and pulled off the motorway. Calling Matthew at SCS he seemed to think it was a fuel cut issue. I scraped my way back to Steve at track n road and plugged it into the computer. It seemed the two throttle inputs that are supposed to match up were showing different signals. After attempts to fix that I went out to check on the settings and again power off and no throttle control, so I limped it back again. Having chatted to SCS it was agreed that as luck would have it the throttle body had a fault and only one channel was working. So they set it up for one line (sorry if this isn't technically factual) and had it as a lump you home mode knowing that if that should fail I would be dead in the water.

Well... I got full power cut out and stranded on a busy motorway with no hard shoulder (so close to be rear ended with an arctic). I tried restarting it and it wouldn't do anything. Sounded very fuel like, managing a few hundred revs but never quite catching. Key out and back in, boom it fired up. Made my way home. One more cut out and knowing how to start it less dramas.

Today I managed to buy a brand new VDO throttle body from GSF for £216. Euro car parts wanted £280 for a VDO and BMW were £350+vat! I've half installed it as I ran out of time before daddy duties with my 10 Month old. I'm going back Saturday to Track n road for the parameters to be swapped back and open up both channels on the throttle body. I'm hoping that cures the stalling and pulsed throttle.

There are glitches to sort out, and it's incredibly frustrating when I probably naively thought plug n play would be just that with some tweaks aside and mapping for boost etc. I gather this experience isn't the norm, but I can't quite help but feel something is amiss. We shall see.

Keep you posted.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Blimey you never seem to catch any breaks ! hopefully when the throttle body is fitted it will all go smoothly, I bloody hope so :)
Tell me about it. It does hurt a little sometimes, you put time, money and effort into building something special (to me anyway) and you're just met with setbacks regularly. It is what it is I guess.

Think I'm going to avoid the 33degree weather today and get up early when everything is much cooler and finish the car off.

261 - 280 of 318 Posts