MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I've had my R53, I've never had two working powerfold mirrors, and it's starting to bloody annoy.

At first, the passenger mirror folded while the driver's mirror clicked uselessly. I ordered a replacement driver's mirror from a breaker, and while it felt solid (the one which came off twisted freely by hand) it too clicked uselessly.

After fitting, the first attempt to fold resulted in the same clicking noise and failure. Now this replacement mirror moves freely, and vibrates when I'm driving.

More annoyingly, while testing the driver's mirror, the passenger mirror failed to fold out completely and wouldn't respond to the button. Folding it out by hand now means that it too sits loosely and vibrates.

What an utter pain in the hoop.

Is it as simple as stripping the units down and replacing the plastic worm gears? Or do I have some other underlying issue?

I'd probably be quite cross if I went to all that hassle and they didn't work.

Am I the only one who's experienced this?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Since I've had my R53, I've never had two working powerfold mirrors, and it's starting to bloody annoy.

At first, the passenger mirror folded while the driver's mirror clicked uselessly. I ordered a replacement driver's mirror from a breaker, and while it felt solid (the one which came off twisted freely by hand) it too clicked uselessly.

After fitting, the first attempt to fold resulted in the same clicking noise and failure. Now this replacement mirror moves freely, and vibrates when I'm driving.

More annoyingly, while testing the driver's mirror, the passenger mirror failed to fold out completely and wouldn't respond to the button. Folding it out by hand now means that it too sits loosely and vibrates.

What an utter pain in the hoop.

Is it as simple as stripping the units down and replacing the plastic worm gears? Or do I have some other underlying issue?

I'd probably be quite cross if I went to all that hassle and they didn't work.

Am I the only one who's experienced this?
No you’re not the only one !
My drivers mirror is just loose so I manually open and close it, the passenger side will open and close by the button but on opening makes a right racket like a machine gun !
Pain in the arse, the internal parts are available on eBay but haven’t tried repairing them yet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stripping them down and fixing them doesn't hold much fear for me, on the face of it.

However, I'd be royally pissed if I went to all that effort and it somehow didn't solve the issue.

Also, how annoying is the third allen bolt (rearmost) to tighten? It's like I needed to grind down a key specifically for it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I replaced all the internal gears using metal parts from eBay (Rover 75 parts fit), interesting the gears were metal already in there, but to no avail, they still click uselessly...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced all the internal gears using metal parts from eBay (Rover 75 parts fit), interesting the gears were metal already in there, but to no avail, they still click uselessly...
And that would annoy the crap out of me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keen to know how you get on. I've basically given up on mine. If someone hits them, I'll just replace with a unit from a breaker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts