MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
This only seems to work with no air flow and the car stationary if you watch the whole thing.

With air flow the results don't seem worth it.

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
622 Posts
Yeah baby... I always knew that buying a black one was not only to hide the horses..... Now live with chivalry

·
Registered
192 Posts
May as well get my TMIC done black at work. Doesn't cost me anything, what do I have to lose? R53's get so hot anyway so all the little things could add up to make a difference.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,479 Posts
I was thinking of lobbing a thin coat of paint on my standard ic to tidy it up a bit, who'd have thought it might actually been a benefit

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
They make a pretty fair conclusion actually. I did pretty much the same tests of aluminium heatsinks 20 years ago when developing high-end hifi amplifiers.

We concluded that black paint was better than raw aluminium but performance was measured best with matt black anodizing as this is a chemical change to the metal surface and not a coating with its less desirable barrier effect. We tested open air convection versus forced air conduction and determined the same conlusion as the video. Of course we went with convection due to the sound intrusion of running fans and combined it into a hybrid setup with large copper interface plates due to its superior thermal properties over aluminium, and the highest surface area of black anodized aluminium fins we could fit into the package.

·
MT's Naughty Boy
6,852 Posts
They make a pretty fair conclusion actually. I did pretty much the same tests of aluminium heatsinks 20 years ago when developing high-end hifi amplifiers.

We concluded that black paint was better than raw aluminium but performance was measured best with matt black anodizing as this is a chemical change to the metal surface and not a coating with its less desirable barrier effect. We tested open air convection versus forced air conduction and determined the same conlusion as the video. Of course we went with convection due to the sound intrusion of running fans and combined it into a hybrid setup with large copper interface plates due to its superior thermal properties over aluminium, and the highest surface area of black anodized aluminium fins we could fit into the package.
You had me at 'actually'.

·
In Mod we Trust
308 Posts
#meh

I'm sure there's opposing data points on the web about polished ally ICs if I could be bothered to find it. One youtube video does not maketh the gospel however well produced it appears....

File under: 76% of statistics are made up on the spot.

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
#meh

I'm sure there's opposing data points on the web about polished ally ICs if I could be bothered to find it. One youtube video does not maketh the gospel however well produced it appears....

File under: 76% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Take it that you have a polished silver one?

Perhaps the BBC can help convince you of the science..
BBC - GCSE Bitesize: Heat transfer by radiation

1 - 20 of 30 Posts