MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to need to change my tyres soon. Currently I have the 18" R95 alloys with 215/35/18 tyres. I want to increase the tyre profile a bit to increase ride comfort slightly.

I know usual advice is to go down a wheel size or two to 17's or 16's but I don't want to for a couple of reasons. I have a big break kit so need the clearance of the bigger wheels and I like the look of the R95 18's. I may get a second set of alloys later but for now the 18's stay so can I go slightly bigger on width and profile without messing things up too much something like a 225/40?

Also I'm thinking Michellin ps4's but happy to hear of other recommendations for fast road and light track work.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,052 Posts
Alan16ac has 225/40's on those rims, drives nice with them, I did around 500 miles in it, not harsh at all really, Goodyear something iirc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 225/40 it is then. Now to do some research on tyre brands. Was thinking Ps4's but may go semi slicks depending on how useable they are on the road.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Thanks, 225/40 it is then. Now to do some research on tyre brands. Was thinking Ps4's but may go semi slicks depending on how useable they are on the road.
If you go to a semi slick you will defeat your original point.
The increase side wall stiffness will make it more uncomfortable. Plus the road noise is horrific for daily driving. Wet / cold grip is also poor this time of year.

I have PS4 in XL side wall and goodyears assemetric 5 in XL. Both in the same 225/45/17 profile.
The PS4 has a slightly softer sidewalk and better ride. So if that’s your goal that would be my recommendation.
You could ditch the XL side wall for even more ride comfort, however it will be at the determinant to turn it. Of course providing your size has that option.

Tyre leader is a good place to see all sizes and variations available on a tyre selection.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts