MiniTorque.com banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Normal service is resumed

bloody pipe has blown out again, I’m at my caravan in Cumbria this time though, I think I can get it bled with my eldest lad helping!

had a good run up here 160 odd miles including stuck in traffic in the motorway for over an hour with the clutch being pressed hundreds of times and a good blast down the B roads to the caravan changing up and down without issue, get in it to park outside the van and pop!

I’ve got no decent tools with me (or spare fluid) so I’ll have to take my wife’s car into town tomorrow and buy me a 12mm spanner (the One adjustable I have with me rounded the edge of the bleed nipple so I didn’t bother trying any more) then I’ll have to hope me and my eldest lad can bleed it.

I very nearly this morning put a cable tie round the pipe and slave cylinder to make it extra secure knowing I had a long journey but thought I’d be alright, glad it happened now and not on the M6

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
331 Posts
What a sod Jim, hope you get it all sorted mate and having a nice time away otherwise (y)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Was about to say great progress until I got to this page, sorry to hear it’s blown off again Jim. Any ideas why it could keep happening? Could the garage have damaged it slightly so it won’t secure properly?

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I think it’s most likely the plastic pipe is damaged or worn, I’ve put a couple of cable ties round it clamping it down to the slave cylinder

Spent far too much time trying to bleed it with the help of my son on the pedal and carsorbikes over the phone, ended up going to Halfords this afternoon and buying an ez bleed kit and got the job done in 5 minutes! Should have done that yesterday really but it’s an almost 50 mile round trip to the nearest Halfords in Workington which I wanted to avoid!

Been out for a drive in it and it seems to be ok, I however have left the clutch pedal pinned down over night with the reservoir cap off to free the system of any more air bubbles

Will see how it feels in the morning

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Well it got me back from the caravan this afternoon, did good on the motorway then after 100 or so miles it wouldn’t go from 6th to 5th, I got it all the way to the final slip road before home and while at the lights I pumped the pedal continually which seemed to build up pressure and it went into all gears easier but still not perfect

Then called in at The garage who fitted the slave cylinder who then bled it for me again and a few more big bubbles of air came out so I’m hoping that the system is sorted now, will have another try tomorrow

161 - 167 of 167 Posts