MiniTorque.com banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
4 new tyres today, got rid of the winter tyres off the front and just about legal tyres off the back, this morning after a bit of rain it was apparent the winter tyres were going to have to go as I steered one way round a roundabout and the car wanted to go the other

anywy got myself a set of part worn but near as dammit brand new continents contisport contact 3 all round, all with 9mm of tread for £240 which is damn good money in my opinion!

while I was in the tyre bay I removed my hooky spotlights that were full of water, the car looks strange without them now! I’ve got a new set to go on tomorrow weather being well, to be honest I could fit them now while I wait for them to fit the last 2 tyres but I can’t be arsed!

The other thing I noticed is over the past few weeks While the car has been parked up in the sun the tops of the doors have started to look really scratched, while I waswaiting I ran my nail across the area and the white scratches came off with very little effort, this is the same side that was exposed to the sun while it was parked up for 2 years before I bought it so is faded compared to the other and there is a mark on the bonnet where a tree has rubbed the paintwork, I suspect this side has been lightly dusted and the ‘scratches’ are in fact the laquer peeling off

I suppose I should look at getting that side sprayed up at some point or look at a new bonnet and door and get the rear quarter looked at

spoke to sean too about getting it in for the bottom end work then get it over to 1320 for the new injectors and remap

one of the places I work has a nice ping private road Leading up to it so the other day I set up my WiFi obd reader and the fourstoke app on my phone and did a non scientific 0-60 time trial, managed to do it in 7.4 seconds Which is non too shabby with a heavy me driving!

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Shame you didnt time it on the other tyres too Jim. Be interesting to see how much quicker it will be after the injectors and tune.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
That time was on the winter tyres, next time I’m down there on the new tyres I’ll do it again, can’t see it making much of a difference but it did spin a bit on launch!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Popped into my local garage earlier to see about welding a manifold for me and as I pulled in the car wouldn’t go into gear, the mechanic had a look underneath and the slave cylinder has gone on it, fluid on the floor and unable to get any gears

Fortunately he managed to order me a bit and it was getting delivered within the hour so he started to take the old one off only to find one of the bolts holding the existing cylinder in was seized solid so he’s having to heat it to get it out, ive had to go to work so have left it with him til Monday (and depressingly I had to walk the last mile to the station!)

not one thing it’s another with this car

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Same as mine Jim ! they are a pain in the ass! my intermittent airbag light keeps returning so car parked up now until I can be arsed lying upside down messing with airbag connectors !!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Popped in This morning to see how he got on and the top bolt in the slave cylinder snapped when he was taking it out so he’s waiting on an angled drill bit to drill it out to refit the new cylinder, hopefully I can get it back Wednesday

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
360 Posts
Popped in This morning to see how he got on and the top bolt in the slave cylinder snapped when he was taking it out so he’s waiting on an angled drill bit to drill it out to refit the new cylinder, hopefully I can get it back Wednesday
Fingers crossed 4 u pal, my engine mount went pop a couple of days ago so feel your pain (y)

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Got the car back today, nice bite on the clutch now but the bloody exhaust Is rattling!

it’s going into APB tomorrow for the tracking to be done so I’m hoping they can see what it’s catching on while it’s on the ramps

annoyingly the red car is doing the same too!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
And this morning I can’t get it in gear with the engine running so it’s got to go back to be bled in a bit

only discovered that issue en route to ABP where I’m getting the tracking done

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #134

worth doing by the looks of things, as for the rattly exhaust, the cat has gone on it!

not a huge issue as I was looking at a sport manifold and decat anyway, got one here off Sean that needs the flexi renewing, that’s now jumped up the priority list somewhat

got the clutch bled on the way back, As I pumped the pedal for the mechanic you could feel 2 airlocks come out, seems ok now but will keep an eye on it for the rest of the day

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bummer about the cat, but at least you had plans to replace anyway. What manifold is it?

Good news on the clutch being better, fingers crossed it stays that way!

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
It's only a Chinese job like the Megan Racing ones, they suffer a flange error which is why the flexi's generally fail and they get flack for it but nobody bothered to find out why, they just moan about them, I found the problem, cut it open, set it on the car so the bump stops were centralised, removed it and had it welded (5.5mm error) but a broken Vibratechnics mount on track and hitting a kerb unhooking the top mount, depositing the engine behind it was a bit too much for the flexi, hence it needs doing. I have another one which never had the flange corrected which needs it and the flexi doing, that one came with some stuff bought or it'd have been done already.

Considering the opinion otherwise, it proved ok on a dyno to 230whp, and that was deliberately ignoring the port mismatch to gasket profile it also has, tidy this up and it's an ok budget solution once sorted, using the de-cat just add a 90deg sensor extender and have no EML either.

Pictured here vs a custom Maniflow pipe
WP_20171123_019.jpg

Reactions: Fro-dizzle

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I’ve actually ended up buying a new manifold and decat cat off eurocar parts as by the time I got the flexi and had it welded on by a professional plus the cost of the manifold from Sean it wasn’t going to be cost effective for me to do, someone with the expertise and thier own welder could make it effective but I’ve decided to go for a new one

it looks to be in a par If not a bit better than the eBay specials you can get for around the same price, ignore the reduced from price, I suspect that’s a bit of kidology, it says it comes with a decat pipe too, with a couple of other discount codes I got a further £12 off it

I chose to buy from euro car parts rather than eBay incase I had an issue fitting it, some eBay reviews of the cheap manifolds say they don’t fit at least with this I can measure it up beforehand and compare it to Sean’s manifold and If it’s obvious by eye It’s not going too fit then can return it to my local store rather than having the hassle of having to do things through eBay, hopefully it won’t come to that!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Let’s hope the finish isn’t pretty cheap though!

121 - 140 of 167 Posts