MiniTorque.com banner

101 - 120 of 213 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Good excuse to get it back to Sean’s for him to fix and do the sump and oil cooler gaskets and piston thingys at the same time

·
Premium Member
3,136 Posts
Anyway, Sean has had a look at the car and the issue is just a kinked/pinched O ring on the filter

Lost about 1/4L of oil from it in 40 miles but glad I spotted it quickly when I reversed away from my house, had I gone to work in it as planned it have probably not noticed it until tomorrow afternoon and another 120 odd miles on the clock!
I did this last time I did the oil change on mine.

Luckily it was bad enough to leak before i made it out of the garage, rather than on the way to work.

I feel better knowing it's not just me! :D

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
It’s not lost a drop since it went back to Sean to redo

regards the starter motor it may well be the battery, I got back to the car this afternoon and it was dead when trying to start but plenty of juice for the interior lights, stereo etc, bump started it and got home ok, I did notice the negative battery terminal was able to turn on the post a bit but couldn’t be pulled off

anyway, once home after an hour and quarter drive I left it running and put my ammeter on the terminals and it’s only showing 12v max, this being after I tightened the battery terminal up before setting off so I suspect it wasn’t fully charging the battery enough to crank it as once I switched off at home with the battery showing still 12v and tried to restart it it fired up first time, it’s been 30 mins since I got home so I’ll go back out in a min and give it another go

one other thing I noticed on the way home when stood stationary it was revving higher than usual, 1k revs, it normally about 800 I think

·
Registered
159 Posts
Our Mini has a lose terminal on the battery, prevented it from turning on the key. Nipped it up tight and it’s never done it again.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Im going to go outside and see if it starts in a min, I’ll get a new battery ordered later if it does start anyway, the one on it is 2nd hand from a local scrappy and has been in a year now, it actually says mitsubishi on it and it’s actually a bit tall, sitting above the floor line, if I get the proper sized one then hopefully I can drop the false amp floor by an inch or so to tidy up the boot build

watch this space

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
started 1st time!

New battery ordered anyway, grabbed a bargain off euro car parts, reduced from £120 to £88 and an extra 37% off so just over £50

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
New battery on, revs back down to 900 again

only problem I had was I stopped at Tesco petrol station after collecting the battery and the car wouldn’t restart, I actually managed to pull both terminals off the battery by hand which wasn’t good but no tools in the car to get the fixing strap off, so had to go to B&Q to buy an adjustable spanner! Massive queue outside, gave up after 30 mins and ordered one from screwfix while in the queue, had a walk up there instead, that was my hours exercise for the day!

oh and I stupidly shut the boot too then Couldn’t remember where the remote boot release cable was so had to clamber over the back seat (which is now where I remember the boot release being!) and reconnect the battery to open the boot

having one of those days today thats for sure

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Ffs, just got to the car to go to work and same again, turn the key and nothing, it’s got to be the starter motor surely

sod it, it’s defiantly getting parked up until payday now and I’ll use on the convertible, losing heart with it slowly, just need to walk away from it for a bit for my own sanity

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Its hard when you get a run of bad luck so keep ya chin up Jim.
Be wise to check its charging rate when you get running before you throw a starter at it.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I’ll see what the ammeter shows on the battery tomorrow, it was showing 12.5 earlier when stood, which i thought would be higher on a brand new battery I’m 100% sure there is nothing draining it and being as it’s a brand new battery that has only been on for 2 hours I’d very much suspect nothing could drain it that quick without all the interior lights dimming etc

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
A 12v battery is actually 6 x 2.1 volt cells in series so a fully charged one is around 12.6 volts, a good rule of thumb is every 0.1 volt under that equates to around 20% charge lost.

When charging you should get around 14.2/14.5 volts.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Thanks for that, as I say I’ll try and fire it up later and see what I get with the alternator running, another thing I could try is disconnect the new battery and using jump leads start from the other car to see if it does anything, although I can’t see it making a difference or what I’d be proving!

i might Jack it up and put it on some axle stands to see if I can see the starter motor, check the wires etc, where will I find the relay for it to check too

·
Registered
288 Posts
started 1st time!

New battery ordered anyway, grabbed a bargain off euro car parts, reduced from £120 to £88 and an extra 37% off so just over £50
I bought a Varta Blue (same as Bosch if you didn't know) from ECS. It took them three weeks to deliver (all because they were prioritorising "key" workers you know - good cheap advertising and PR).

The price was so good I had to hang on and wait. Not as if I was using the car much!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I bought a Varta Blue (same as Bosch if you didn't know) from ECS. It took them three weeks to deliver (all because they were prioritorising "key" workers you know - good cheap advertising and PR).

The price was so good I had to hang on and wait. Not as if I was using the car much!
luckily I’m a key worker so could go and get it straight away yesterday

Right I’m awake now after my night shift so I’m off to have a play/cry with the blue car for 10 mins, then its onto the red car to get the other speakers in before I set off to work again

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Sorry, just got back in from fitting the speakers

which head unit, the Sony single din rear double din front whee you have to cut the dash (blue car) or pioneer floating screen slot in one (red car)

I’ve got to remove the red one tomorrow to fit the amp remote and rca so I’ll grab some pics of that one then if that’s the one you want to see

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I think I know what you mean, the single din rear double din front unit. Do you have to cut the lower part of the dash trim ? if so its a no go as mines been painted and dont want to cut it.
Thanks tho

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
That’s the one in this car, dash modifications on that one, pics here from page 2 of this thread

as I say ill be taking the one out of the red car tomorrow to connect some wires so I’ll grab some pics of that one too, that didn’t need any dash modifications doing

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Well it’s been sat for 20 days without looking at, decided to go and have a look at it this morning, check the starter motor relay, fuse etc, got to the car, key in, started first time

typically I bought a replacement starter motor just last night off eBay!

i put various testers on while it was running and the battery is fine, alternator is fine, the only issue I came across was the earth strap between the engine and body, when I put my multimeter on the bolt it was red hot to the touch so much so you could barely touch it but the casting and earth strap itself was warm but nothing excessive, I was able to slightly jiggle the earth strap in its mount and after doing that the bolt almost instantly cooled down to be able to touch it!

so I’m wondering if it’s simply a dodgy earth at both the engine end and before I swapped batteries the boot end (although I’ve not checked the battery posts today)

I’ll have to see if it starts in the morning but I’ve started it and stopped it loads of times this afternoon

the only other issue I’m having is the door and rear full Range speakers occasionally go off but the separately powered amp still works for the sub, the stereo is still working fine too, I suspect I’ve got a loose iso connection behind the headunit so I’ll pop that out tomorrow for a look

Despite that I’ve fitted the bigger front speakers, (hopefully that’s not what’s causing the issue) and soundproofed the doors etc

Old 5 1/4 speakers

I’ve kept the tweeters and crossovers and added the bigger full range speakers to that, fitted some speaker baffles too

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Got to the bottom of the speakers going off, I went back and revisited the speakers I’d installed and once I unplugged one of the tweeters the sound came back, checked the wires and one of them was a little bit crimped but not showing any bare wires though which was strange so leaving the tweeter unplugged cures it

weirdly though the tweeter on the opposite side which was working fine while I was diagnosing the problems stopped working when I refitted the main speaker so I’ve unplugged that side too!

101 - 120 of 213 Posts