MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What have I done wrong here!

ive fitted the airtek intercooler and it seems to sit too high, I can’t get it any lower

This is the gap between the air scoop and the plastic slam panel, does that look right?

The reason I think I’ve done wrong somewhere is when I shut the bonnet the bottom (front) end of the cooler pushed the scoop out of the bonnet!

there are no bolts in the top of the scoop at present anyway as I’m going to replace it with the atomspeed in I got last week but I don’t want to put that in if I’ve done something wrong and end up damaging it (or the cooper)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am guessing here as I have not got one myself.

Does the diverter under the scoop need removing from the bonnet?

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
sorry, yes took that out as per what little instructions there were with the cooler

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
looking at it compared to pictures on google i think ive fitted it too far forward, only by a CM so so but i think if i loosen the snoot boots i should be able to move it back a touch which should drop it down a bit

if you look at the 2nd picture you can just make out the adjustable brackets under the cooler, mine are pretty much straight from the cooler to mounts, from the pics i can see it should be at more of an angle which would push the cooler back a touch

i’ll have a look in the morning

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
have you still got the rear brackets on that the stock diverter bolts go into, they're stepped so will hold the IC up perhaps. The snoot boots shouldn't be distorted at all, even though you can move the front brackets in the IC the position is determined by the boots rigidity really, the first pic isn't close enough but it appears the inner clamps are sitting high so the cooler is on something it shouldn't be I suspect.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i took the IC off and checked it wasnt sitting on anything before i dropped the bonnet as it didnt seem to line up with the horns both horizontally and vertically but couldnt see anything obvious, as i say ill have a proper look in the morning

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Simple schoolboy error!

when I took the short brackets on I refitted the longer ones on the underside of the holder!

Putting them on correctly drops the cooler enough to not interfere with the scoop, once I was sure I swapped it with the atomspeed scoop which I’ve got to paint or wrap black

Next up is a k&n apollo induction kit to replace the hybrid Ebay bits/ramair set up, got one off eBay last night buy it now for £99

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Inspired by another thread on here about fitting a double din unit into the MK1 I’ve got myself a new Sony Apple play h/u which is a double din front and single din back the single din but being at the top so I can have the screen drop down where the heating controls are and move the controls lower down

as I’ve got climate there is no physical/mechanical gubbins between the buttons and the white heater unit behind it so I can move it very easily, similarly the switches below, I’m hoping to do it Sunday (as well as fitting the K+N Apollo)

The car already has a double din unit fitted, a pioneer modular evo62 which is really good and can’t fault it but when I saw the Sony I decided to give it a try to really make it look like part of the car, the pioneer will most likely migrate over to my R52 or if not end up on eBay

I’ll get some pics as I go along at the weekend (also got to vinyl wrap and fit a new headlight ring as mine fell off the other week on a rough road!)

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Back to the interior, double din stereo fitted

cut away the bottom of the centre console

2 metal bars down the sides to lower the heater and switch controls

As the stereo has a shallow single din back sitting in a double din cage it Clears the heating controls with a little bit of the corner of the cage bent

Wires through

then gently push the stereo with all the extra gubbins in place such as DAB aerial, telephone mic, RCA leads etc and job done

And that was that, I was going to fit a reversing camera I had spare but decided against it in the end, may do it in the future though

tomorrow I’m going to fit the k&n Apollo (and muck the tools out of the car)

Im thinking of putting the pioneer I took out of this car and put it into the convertible (which other than needing a ball joint passed its MOT today)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well done for all the effort. Always a good feeling when you get a job done yourself and any cursing in between seems worth it!

I'd pop it out and paint those metal Meccano bits black for a neater finish.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
And the k&n fitted, it’s a typhoon not an Apollo!

Doesn’t seem to give any more power or noise than the hybrid ramair/Ebay pipe set up I had but it looks good! Just waiting on a heat shield coming from k&n and job done

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
After all that work the gearbox went last night, not terminal but got to get it in before it’s gets too bad, I was giving it the beans away from a round about and I noticed the clutch was slipping ever so slightly then as I went to drop down a gear I couldn’t get 4th or 2nd gear easily, it then began to whine in those gears under light acceleration, now while it’s stationary you can hear it rattle but when you depress the clutch the sound goes, been told it may be the selector

I’ve booked it into a local(ish) gearbox centre who are going to strip it and see if they can renew the bearings etc, they are going to do the clutch while it’s out too as compared to the R52 it’s really really heavy (always has been)

as I’ve got to swap to the R52 for a few days I’ve finally got round to swapping the wheels over as 2 of the white wheels I had fitted had very slow punctures as the rims are quite scabby on the edges, I’ve swapped them for the set of split rims I got off the classifieds on here (and I think they look better!)

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I have those as original spec, smart wheel, always liked them, they just don't go over the big brakes so they now live in a corner somewhere. Difficult if not almost impossible getting them apart for refurb without snapping the titanium bolts I know, got away with all mine but just one bolt needs a coil. Ronal Web Design, can't remember the number,

Reactions: Deavilly76

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I was going to get them done white with silver rim but as you say refurbing them involves talking the bolts out and I don’t fancy the £14 a piece should I snap them, now I have them on the car in going to keep them silver as there is enough Other chrome to go with them

as for the white wheels I’ll get them powder coated in black(or anthracite) and get them on the cooper next year ready for summer

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The cooper s is now in the safe hands of CarsOrBikes for him to do the work needed on the gearbox after a lengthy chat last night I decided to cancel the garage in Cannock and take it over to the Wirral instead to someone who knows his stuff!

I’m sure CoB will update further as he does the work but it’s basically having a replacement gearbox, clutch, degrease, new Powerflex engine mounts and a few other little bits and bobs seen to, oh and a fast road cam fitting while the engine is out too, be rude not to really!

having sat in his cooper and put my foot on the clutch it made me realise just how stiff my pedal is compared to a ‘normal’ one

updates to follow....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Got it back earlier and it feels like a different car, a lot more oomph in it now

Dyno’d at 210-212 bhp which I’m happy with

Gone is the flat spot I had when I first put my foot down, probably the new snoot boots and vacuum pipe cured that

pulls in every gear now, top end engine rattle has gone, the new tensioner sorting that no doubt

had 2 new tyres fitted too when I got back to crewe then set off for the Cumbrian coast in it, 160 mile trip, 40 mins sat in traffic on the M6 and the temperature gauge didn’t raise above half way thanks to the new radiator and the heating is brilliant thanks to the new heater matrix, managed an average 35mpg which is pretty good I recon, I only managed 37 mpg this morning on the same trip in the lightly modded (non supercharged) R52

despite the job ending up costing twice as much as originally planned due to other bits being knackered or missing I'm more than happy with the result as the car feels so much tighter and smoother now

just 2 more jobs to do with my cheaper local garage, rear engine mount and CV boot and it should be done (then it’s MOT time for the convertible)
I'm really interested in the idea of remaps at the moment.

My R53 pulls really well with a 17% pulley and intercooler, but I wonder if there's potential to unlock a bit more area under the torque curve by fiddling the fuelling/timing.

Did Lohen do before/after remap runs, or was it just all at once? Did they comment at all on the impact of the remap on performance/drivability?

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I was talking with carsorbikes yesterday about remaps, obviously my bluefin is a one size fits all solution that in all fairness with the bits I have on the car more than does the job to get the extra power out of it, similarly the one on my R52 has totally transformed the car but if I decide to go further with the mods then I’d be looking at a custom map/tune

CoB is going to fit me a fast road cam to my cooper S while he has it, as quite simply he says it will run nicely with the existing bluefin set up, if I went for a race cam then I’d have to start looking at getting it remapped again so it would run better when starting/idling As the bluefin idle parameters can’t be adjusted

I’m not going to pretend I know what I’m talking about and I’m sure CoB will be able to answer your question with far more technical expertise!

as for the cooper, long and short of it, the problem (so far) is there was no oil in the gearbox!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Recon gearbox ready to go back

new clutch in too

C&B says he may have the fast road cam in tomorrow while he waits for a few bits to arrive, I’m sure he can fill you in with any technical bits if you need to know anything

21 - 40 of 167 Posts