MiniTorque.com banner

221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Head gasket has gone on it, thankfully caught it early so Sean is going to replace it and put it back together to sell the car on, really had enough of it now as to do all the other work needed to get it up to would have meant a big bill (even before I look at the bodywork that needs doing)

ive had the red mini that Sean has up for sale as a courtesy car with a view to buying it if i can raise the funds, most of the bits off the blue car can migrate over but having driven the red one home in comfort and quiet it seems a shame to start modding what is a near as dammit clean and tidy standard car but I don’t want to sell the blue one with all the bits like the airtek, bilsteins, milltek exhaust etc fitted but on the same hand I don’t want to break it for spares

decisions decisions

unfortunately it’s looking like the convertible is going to have to go too to fund whatever I decide to buy instead

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
I think you are making the right choice Jim. Youve had nothing but bad luck with the blue one. Youve been very faithful to it as most of us would have jumped earlier. You could always sell the bits on the blue one to help recoup and raise funds.
With only 1 mini youll half road tax and insurance..

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
No way, sorry to hear that! I'm with Mike, think you're making the right decision you've been very patient with it but it just seems like it's a bad omen unfortunately.
That red one does look very tidy indeed.
Makes sense to part bits or yours out and maybe do a deal with people on standard parts, although labour cost to swap them if not doing yourself might be a pain. So maybe leave the coilies on as you then open yourself up to alignment etc but part out easily interchangeable bits.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
If I have the red one Sean is happy to swap bits over

the bits that would migrate over are exhaust and manifold, coilivers, cam, wheels, airbox and elbow, coil pack and leads, plugs, airtek intercooler, G wing (already removed and test fitted my me on the red or to see how it looks with a white roof!)

then I’d remove the likes of the stereo, amp, pedal boost chip etc, atomspeed scoop maybe the leather seats (but those could come out of the convertible)

the blue one can then go up for sale with the bluefin still installed and the 15% pulley (with everything else standard) which when dyno’d last in that condition with an 11% pulley and toyosport exhaust was putting out 208bhp so I recon it’s will still be around the 200 bhp mark, I’ll keep the handset and get it released by Superchips to use on the red car until I can get it to 1320 for a proper remap

cosmetically I’d put the xenons back on and sell the black xenon projector lights separately, I’d swap the aero grille but that leaves the blue car with a red grille so I’d probably buy a new one in time

the convertible can go as is, just remove the stereo and amp etc, strut Brace and pedal boost chip, sell the likes of the back seat windbreak separately too as they make decent money

so it’s do all that above or just buy another VW phaeton!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I think the above plans sound great tbh, and you know you’ll be starting with a fantastic base thats had a thorough going over.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Pistonheads class a VW Phaeton as a Brave Pill 🤣
They are an awesome car, already had 2 as you know!

I’m pretty much decided I’m going to keep with the mini, just discussing with Sean the way forward, quite simply I didn’t set out to buy a replacement car today so I need to find the money for it that I simply don’t have to hand!

to complicate matters I can’t put the convertible on eBay yet as it’s due it’s MOT on Wednesday, Sod’s law if I did it will fail in something major, pretty confident that should be ok as I’ve only done 4K miles in it since the last mot and it’s given me no cause for concern, similarly I can’t put the blue one up yet until at least the cosmetic bits are swapped over for the listing pictures so I’m stuffed there too!

I was very surprised by the red car with it having closer gear ratios it didn’t seem that much slower than mine at motorway speeds when overtaking, and incredibly quiet, once I swap the exhaust and manifold then the tomcat will be a priority to quieten things down somewhat, I’m actually a bit loathed to ‘spoil’ it’s originality but having had the blue one to 220bhp I’d like this one to be similar

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Yeah sounds a good call as I think you’ve had most faults on the blue one now. Also red is a great colour 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
They are an awesome car, already had 2 as you know!

I’m pretty much decided I’m going to keep with the mini, just discussing with Sean the way forward, quite simply I didn’t set out to buy a replacement car today so I need to find the money for it that I simply don’t have to hand!

to complicate matters I can’t put the convertible on eBay yet as it’s due it’s MOT on Wednesday, Sod’s law if I did it will fail in something major, pretty confident that should be ok as I’ve only done 4K miles in it since the last mot and it’s given me no cause for concern, similarly I can’t put the blue one up yet until at least the cosmetic bits are swapped over for the listing pictures so I’m stuffed there too!

I was very surprised by the red car with it having closer gear ratios it didn’t seem that much slower than mine at motorway speeds when overtaking, and incredibly quiet, once I swap the exhaust and manifold then the tomcat will be a priority to quieten things down somewhat, I’m actually a bit loathed to ‘spoil’ it’s originality but having had the blue one to 220bhp I’d like this one to be similar
Sign write Sean down the side of the red car, his phone number on the boot and his face on the bonnet then offer to drive it around as a mobile advert so long as you get to keep the car for free. Win win, I just cant see a downside :p

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
I’ve left the for sale signs on it while I’ve got it for the week, knowing my luck.......

funnily enough juts as I insured it a bloke walked past seans house asking about it

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Here is the culprit, metal part of the head gasket split

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #237 (Edited)
This car will be going on eBay sometime next week, going to start it at £1250 I recon which for the bits and bobs on it would make a good project car for someone

The performance Mods staying on are the superchip and 15% Kavs pulley and the custom airbox/k&n, those alone put it around 200bhp (it was 208 bhp with the 11% pulley, superchip and cheapo exhaust)

Sean has removed (or will be) the milltek, bilsteins, airtek, cat cam, wheels all of which will be replaced with original parts and the bullet wheels off the car I’m having off him

you can see by the thread the issues I’ve had but it has had a lot of top quality work done by Sean however there is still some work that we had planned that’s been knocked on the head now, namely big end shells so bear in mind it’s not up to carsorbikes standards in places but others it is

new head gasket this week fitted by Sean, new gearbox and clutch again fitted by Sean This time last year, I’ve also got a replacement for that troublesome clutch slave pipe that I’m hoping we can fit tomorrow

supercharger serviced at 100k by Lohen including new radiator, heat exchange, pipes cleaned out properly by Sean shortly afterwards!

cosmetically it’s keeping the aero grille/bumpers, leather seats, strut brace

It will be losing the spotlights (or maybe just 2 of them), atomspeed scoop, double din stereo, G wing, projector headlights will be swapped for the original xenons, amp and bass box but I’ll leave the wiring for the amp in place from the head unit, I may look at bodging the double din hole back to single and refit the standard stereo, if I can do that it will need new upright tubes as I’ve cut them with a dremel

as for the car, 105k miles, MOT til March, climate control, full length sun roof, needs a repaint down one side due to a poor job done before and the laquer has peeled badly however I will also supply a spare electric blue door and scuttle vent

The end of the day it is what it is, good in places, poor in others, hence the low start price which I’m confident I will get, if not I’ve got to whore myself out down the docks to pay for the car off Sean!

anyone interested before it goes up on eBay then get in touch

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
The beginning of the end, coilivers and exhaust/manifold removed and put on the new car, going back later in the week to fit the original intercooler back on and put the airtek on the other car, I can then bring the blue one home, get the final bits I want off and

as for the red car, I was thinking of swapping the black wheels for white but now they are on they look great, a lot better than I thought they would

then just as an experiment I tried the black handle covers and a piece of dechrome tape on the door belt line, I think they look good so I’ll fix them on properly

I think I’m going to keep the grille red, I was thinking about getting a black one (but keep the chrome surround) as for spotlights, black ones like on the blue car but only 2 as opposed to 4

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Great choice on the red one, you’ll know that it’s had a really meticulous going over and will be in fantastic shape.

I think the black on red goes well, and much prefer the red as a colour overall to the blue haha

Crowns look good too, definitely better than bullets 👍🏽

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Blue car collected from Sean and red one left behind until payday!

the blue one is now back on standard suspension, intercooler, cam, exhaust all ready to be ebayed by the end of the week, drove it back and it’s running the best it has for a long long time, driving it like that makes me sad to get rid of it but it’s time for a change!

As for the red one that’s now got the catcam in, airtek intercooler in place, as well as the work done at the weekend with the exhaust and suspension, Sean took me for a spin round the block and it feels so much quicker than the superchipped blue one with the few mods mentioned above, I’ve got a pipercross panel filter on the way for it (until I decide whether to do another Dave F box) then early next year I’m going to get Sean to service the supercharger and fit a 15% pulley to it at the same time

221 - 240 of 246 Posts