MiniTorque.com banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Woo hoo, manifold has arrived and picking up the G wing tonight

(well I say woo hoo, I’ve not opened the manifold box yet to check it’s ok)

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Experimenting with an airbox this afternoon

first up the bits, a Wickes drainpipe adapter, airbox lid and k&n filter
273C5EF2-08F4-468C-A76F-03AB011BCA3D.jpeg

chopped the adapter back a bit so the filter sits over the widest part

this is where I’m experimenting, I’ve got some 2 part epoxy resin that I’ve secured the pipe in place with

Then as the first bit began to set I poured more resin in to form a ‘lake’ around the pipe, as long as it cures and hardens then it should hold the inlet pipe in place, if not it’s back to square one!

going to leave it for a few hours now then go back and see how it’s getting on, I’m away with work until Thursday night now so it will have plenty of time to harden And is useable, if it does work then I’ve ordered some extra bits to make the airbox look fancy!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Drying nicely, a couple of days of me not fiddling with it while I’m work should get it solid

and a delivery bonanza, janspeed manifold and decat

and the carbon fibre G Wing

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Well the pipe is solid in the lid, it’s going nowhere!

Tidied up the excess resin around the lid edge and interior with a Stanley blade

The k&n filter fits nicely in the lid as per other modded lids

Then for a something a bit different, I cut the top off the lid

But why I hear you ask...

got a piece of clear blue Perspex that I cut down

Which I then bonded to the lid, just need to glue some black plastic strips along the top edge of the Perspex/lid to tidy up the look of join

Ordered a cheap standard air filter from euro car parts that I’m going to cut the centre out of and use the gasket to seal the top and bottom of the airbox when I put it back together

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Day off Saturday so I’m going to swap the induction kit for the airbox, I’ve got to add an extra pipe to the front and drill a hole through the bulkhead yet for further cold air intake

picked up a tailgate this evening from Rhyl which I’ve got to take the smaller cooper spoiler off and fit to my car instead of the cooper S spoiler In readiness for the G wing to be fitted, I’ll get that measured up and holes drilled tomorrow too, if the rivnut tool turns up tomorrow I’ll fit the G wing too

I had to take the car over to Rhyl to collect the tailgate after I discovered the lights weren’t working on the convertible and the exhaust blowing wasn’t too bad once the car was warm, hopefully I can get it changed next week though if I’m not too busy in work!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Looking forward to seeing both fitted Jim.

May have to poach the clear lid idea when I modify my box for a cone. Already have the larger air feed but with a panel filter.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
A good afternoon on the mini, gave my dad a ring as I had a feeling he had a set of ramps, which he did and he offered to come over and help with the manifold, I got it unbolted before he got there (and got the spoiler off the tailgate I bought off eBay)

we then drove the car up the ramps on the drive and he went under and began to undo the manifold,he turned 70 last week and isn’t avert to getting his hands dirty and being slimmer than me was able to get below the car easier than I could!

As for the manifold, I think this may explain why it was blowing, as he was undoing the bottom end the top end come completely away below the flexi joint

If nothing else it made it easier to come out!

Then after a little bit of fiddling, removing the heat shield we managed to get the janspeed manifold back into position

Heat shield back, manifold tightened up, k&n typhoon removed and my airbox and original intake refitted, strut brace back in place

Then it was onto the spoiler, fitted the smaller cooper spoiler

and on went the G wing

Took it out for a spin, it’s still nice and quiet when driving normally but it has a bit of a rasp when putting your foot down, it also feels somewhat faster too, the airbox sounds nice as well, still got to add a hole to the rear with a pipe into the bulkhead and swap the inlet pipe for an MTC silicone one I have on order which should arrive on monday

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Great days work there Jim!

Bet that manifold splitting was a surprise, definitely handy with regards to manoeuvring it out.

Good that you can feel the benefits of the air box and manifold combo, will get even more wine once you’ve modified the bulkhead which is always a good thing!

G wing looks really well, great buy!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
G wing looks really well, great buy!
Sure was, it’s the one cosmetic mod I’ve wanted for the mini since buying it, I can’t believe I got it for what I paid, the guy was putting an R56 he bought cheap back to standard, he listed it quite badly on eBay just putting ‘R56 Gp wing’ as the description, had he put something like ‘R53/R56 orranje G Wing’ it would have flown off the shelf, I only found it by accident!

It was up for £350 I put a cheeky offer of £300 for it which he took a few hours to accept, in those hours I was all set to click buy it now as I didn’t want to miss out and I thought it would go but it didn’t and I got it for the lower figure, it had actually been on sale for about 3 days with no interest according to the seller, combined with a voucher I had from eBay for £30 I only ended up paying £270 for it!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Tidied up the airbox earlier, first up I put some window seal rubber around the window, not the best fit but alright

then using the other half of the Wickes drainpipe adapter made an extra cold air intake, 56mm hole in the lid (excuse the sellotape holding down

the pipe then fitted snuggly in the hole resting against some of the internal bracing which was handy for glueing in place

next up a 76mm hole in the plastic bulkhead for the pipe to poke through, it sticks through about 5mm

and finally, fitted in place, got a MTC elbow for the inlet to replace the standard pipe, just need to remove it again and fit jubilee clips top and bottom

I also fitted a new cabin filter and put the housing back on which has quietened down the induction noise inside the car as i’d been running it without a Pollen filter for a month or so

before I properly secured everything earlier I went out for a drive in it Getting the car up to temperature and as soon as I got back I took the airbox lid off and the filter was stone cold compared to the typhoon which when touched after a run felt noticeably warm

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Slave cylinder pipe blew again this morning, thankfully my idea of putting cable ties round it meant it didn’t completely blow out but dislodged enough to allow air in and prevent me getting gears, I’m going to have to bite the bullet and get me a new pipe and fitting!

luckily it happened at home so I got it on some ramps and used the ezee bleed to get the air out of the system after I'd secured the pipe with some more cable ties, working fine now, 10 minute job with that useful little set up

went out for a spin and realised the heat shield above the exhaust was rattling again so I got it home and reversed up the ramps this time to get below and secure it however I now realise it’s not just the bit above the tunnel but the whole rear heat shield that is loose, it’s basically rotten round the big washer bolts so has fallen below them and resting slightly on the exhaust, a simple enough job to fix, just put bigger penny washers on before refitting the existing bolts over the top, also noticed I’m missing an exhaust hanger rubber, I was wondering why the tailpipe appeared to have moved to the left slightly!

other than that, had a bit arrive off ebay, if you know the history of the car from the thread you will now I found it in a barn having stood there for 3 years, well that’s not quite true, it has actually stood outside for 1/2 that time in direct sunlight under a tree where the branches had been rubbing the bodywork, that side at some point has been poorly repainted down the passenger side only and the laquer is coming off, even more so now that it gets washed regularly(ish), one area of poor paint is the scuttle panel and bonnet, it’s almost rubbed back to a base blue/silver colousimilarly the door is in particularly bad condition

So I’ve bought a scuttle panel off eBay for a starter that I’ll have a go at fitting to see how it looks, hopefully the paint match with the good side of the car will be ok given fading etc and if it’s passable then I may look at getting a used bonnet and door which would leave me with just the rear 1/4 to get repainted, I recon doing it this way will be a lot cheaper than getting the existing bonnet, door, 1/4 and scuttle panel painted and I can do it as and when bits come up cheap on eBay!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Packages arrived from amazon yesterday so had a furtle under the car earlier and secured the rattly heatshield in place, the whole lot above the exhaust and below the boot was loose so I took the weird little pressed steel 30mm nut/washers off and replaced them with 40mm penny washers and 4mm bolts, the threads On the car were coarser than the metric nuts I bought but they tightened up nicely holding the heatshield securely

also especially for carsorbikes I fitted 2 new jacking point blocks as mine were missing

final thing was fit a better ‘gasket’ on the bulkhead where I’d drilled the hole for the airbox intake the other week as I was noticing a bit of a fumy smell every so often in the cabin and I was wondering if it was coming via the hole and cabin filter housing, it seems a bit better with it sealed now

201 - 218 of 218 Posts