MiniTorque.com banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
503 Posts
Ford really do make some cracking cars nowadays, have always been good to drive but nowadays I think the looks and general quality match how well they drive too.....never in a million years thought I'd say that but after a couple of years running a new shape twin turbo diesel S Max been blown away by it. Nothing its size should go or handle so well TBH.

V nearly traded it for a new Focus 1.5 TDCi ST Line X a couple of months back....only really because I get itchy when my cars approach 3 years old....also didn't think we needed something so large and it would have been a fair bit less cost to run too. I expected it to be disappointing but for a 120bhp car it properly flew and was incredibly nice to drive....far better I'd say than a Mk7 GTD Golf (of which I've had two) which really is a compliment. Only crap thing was the incredibly slow manual gear changes with the 8 speed auto box....not that a car like it really needed paddle shifters but given how shit it was you would never use them!

Alas is was deemed too small so we didn't buy it but did get me thinking about an ST Estate.......:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I wouldnt touch one of Fords duel clutch transmissions with a barge pole.
We had a mk2 Focus owned from new and the rust was shocking. Drove nice though.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
When I put my foot hard down it’s as if it’s not quite firing right, it feels down on power, it’s not misfiring as such but the acceleration doesn’t feel smooth, a bit hard to describe, almost as if it’s ‘pulsing’ or The power is being held back for a split second every so often, wonder if the plugs are dirty?
Could be the cat, could be the 'charger belt slipping, could be the coilpack/plugs/leads.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
When I was going through darker times with my car I very nearly sold it to buy a fiesta st to turn that into a track car, they are brilliant cars out of the box and can mod very well.... but i'd miss the character of the r53 so it stayed :)

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Could be the cat, could be the 'charger belt slipping, could be the coilpack/plugs/leads.
It’s off to carsandbikes house at some point for him to cast an expert eye over and do some outstanding work

I’ve decided one of the cars has got to go, logic would tell me to keep the reliable red one and flog the unreliable blue one but I’m not logical so I’m going to keep both for a bit, get Sean to see what’s up with the blue one and hopefully get that back to spec then flog the red one!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Currently sat at carsorbikes house while he does a bit (a lot of work) on the car for me

First up the job I came over for, to swap the dodgy manifold for a 2nd hand replacement I got a couple of months back, got the old manifold off only to discover that none of the cat remained in there, the pre cat is fine so it’s actually may be useful to someone as a decat pipe, I wondered why the rattle stopped this morning, obviously the last of the cat had exited the car via the exhaust!

I then asked Sean to have a look at the spark plugs for me as it’s been a bit lumpy, this is where things went a bit wrong, taking out one of the magnecor HT cables snapped! The top part ended up stuck in top of the spark plug which thankfully managed to come out, but what to do, not going to get home with 3 leads!

Luckily Sean had a spare set of MSD leads which I’ve bought off him, thought it rude not to have the matching coil pack too really

Upon inspecting the magnecor leads he took off I noticed that one of the leads had the screw off top bit off an old spark plug stuck in the lead so if it was lumpy then that may have been the issue that there wasn’t a good electrical connection, the new leads certainly went on with a nice click onto the plugs anyway

And while We were about it Sean swapped the spark plugs, the existing iridium ones are fine, need a little bit of a wire brush but I’ll do that when I get home and put them in the convertible

It’s currently in the air having the oil cooler o rings replaced which is something I’ve been waiting to have done for a while, not planned to do it today but Sean said while it’s here he can do it so it’s getting done

That just leaves the big job of sump gasket and bottom end bearings to do before a trip to 1320 for injectors and a remap

It is however going to lohen on Monday for a dyno run that I forgot I’d booked back in June, last time it was 218bhp, be interesting to see what it is now with a smaller pulley, miltek, colder plugs, and uprated coil pack

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you want to be somewhere when something gives you jip you can do far worse than being at Seans!

Strange about the piece of spark plug that was in the lead. Hopefullly that’s all it was and your lumpy symptoms will go away.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Well I drove it back and it’s loads better, no rattles from the exhaust, pulling nicely all through the Rev range, embarrassed one of those Porsche 4x4 off the line at a set of lights for a short while until he changed ups couple of gears

As usual before I left we checked the oil only to find it empty so tipping that up in the way home made it run smoother

Gonna give it a wash today (lazy, just a trip to the car wash)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Glad it's going better Jim mate, bugger about the Magnecor leads hey....they ain't cheap those are they?!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wouldnt touch one of Fords duel clutch transmissions with a barge pole.
We had a mk2 Focus owned from new and the rust was shocking. Drove nice though.
Dry clutch ones are a recipe for disaster pal, the Wet ones not so bad. I have one in my S Max (the 210 diesel came with it, no doubt down to torque output) and it's been just fine, though it's crucial to have the oil and microfilter changed every 36k miles or so. By all accounts swarf build up (if it's allowed to) knackers the valve body and given that is part of the mechatronics.....not a good thing if it goes :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Only slight worry for me is the gearbox is rated for 450nm......mine makes 450nm so probably as hard pushed as Ford dared to make it......certainly at times you can feel the thing slurring changes I suspect probably to protect the box.

Have to say having experienced Ford's 8 speed torque converter there isn't much between the two for smoothness/shift quality TBH....for sure the Powershift is better than the Wet Clutch VW DSG I've had in the past. That had terrible pullaway lethargacy and in stop start traffic was quite jolty from memory (going from 2nd to 1st particularly). I will say tho that the reaction of the paddleshifts on the auto Vs the Powershift particularly on downchanges is woeful....it's only software so no idea why Ford have judged it so badly hopefully something that'll improve. Certainly if the autobox on the new Focus ST is the same it'd be bloody horrible.

Mines in next Friday for a 4 year/36k major service and the Powershift service along with an AC service..... isn't gonna be cheap 😭

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Glad it's going better Jim mate, bugger about the Magnecor leads hey....they ain't cheap those are they?!
I’ll give them a ring on Monday, see if they will replace it as a single lead under warranty (I don’t have a receipt though) or buy an individual one off them

If they do then I’ll put them on the convertible and put the iridium plugs in too

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Bugger, the exhaust is blowing between the manifold and pipe, Sean had trouble getting it right yesterday but managed to do it in the end, it’s been good as gold all morning but just come to go out in it and it’s blowing

hopefully my mate can get it nipped up in the morning before it’s trip to the dyno, it’s not horrendous but noticeable When accellerating, can’t hear it much on idle

Do we think it will effect the dyno figures much if I can’t get it nipped up?

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Must be!

Just had a message from Sean and He reminded me of something else about the manifold, the flange on the manifold and the one on the milltek didn’t line up perfectly, he could get the bolts in ok as one flange had elongated holes but the top edges of the flanges were about 10mm out and the gap between them was quite large at the top

The issue Sean had was as he tightened it up it to seal the gap/gasket between the exhaust and manifold it pulled the exhaust and manifold slightly to the left and up a touch resulting in the whole system pulling forward about 20mm, Sean was concerned about the way it tightened causing extra stress on the manifold, I’m just hoping it’s not the flexi that’s gone!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
As feared the flexi has gone! The perils of buying 2nd hand bits!

The thing is the manifold we took off is cat less now having checked it with an endescope so we may well end up putting that back on again as it’s not ratting any more (it was on the way to Sean’s until it deposited the last of the cat from the tail pipe!)

I’ve ended up taking the red car to lohen instead for the dyno run, out of curiosity really and something I’ve been wanting to do for 12 months

also sean asked me to say the HT leads aren’t MSD but magnecor performance, regards the one that got damaged when it was removed I spoke to magnecor this morning and they can do a replacement for me for about £12-15 so I’ll get one and use them on the red car (shame to throw 3 away for the sake of a few quid)

the bloke at magnecor said the end coming off can sometimes happen if the lead fuses itself to the plug, didn’t explain how but I’m assuming by getting too hot

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
All is not lost, the manifold had a 60 day warranty on it and I bought it 58 days ago so the company have refunded me Via eBay the for it and told me to dispose of it rather than send it back which is good

as for a replacement, I was sat in lohen this morning looking at the prices of various manifolds and while sat there a janspeed with decat pipe came up on eBay for £220 or best offer so I offered £200 and won it!

then to top it off an item I had for sale (not mini related) sold for £300 so that’s that paid for!

im going to look at having a tomcat type cat made up for the janspeed though to get it through the MOT when the time comes

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Had another fiesta st line as a hire car tonight for a short 20 mile drive, i must admit it is a rather nice car

when I got to crewe the next hire car was a nice looking but tiny Toyota aygo, not such a nice drive, thankfully only got it for a few miles home and back to the station tomorrow!

back to my car, just waiting on the manifold arriving then I’ll look at getting it back to Sean, going to possibly use the cat off the failed exhaust to make a ‘tomcat’ cat to replace the janspeed decat that’s coming with the manifold, if not I’ll get myself another standard manifold/cat off eBay and cut that up to make a tomcat, logic says use the one on the car now as that’s a virtually free option just requiring a flange and weld

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
While I still wait for the manifold to arrive, (been assured it’s been posted) I’ve had a Look at the induction kit

I’m not convinced by the k&n typhoon I have fitted as its open to the heat of the engine bay with a metal pipe which gets quite warm after a while, so I’m thinking off taking it off and doing the Dave f Airbox mod, I’ve got a spare lid And Wickes drain pipe adapter and have ordered the required K&N filter to fit inside, I’m going to try something a little bit different regards the internal fitting for the filter in so much as I’m going to try and attach the pipe to the lid with 2 pack liquid resin, I’ve used it in the past for all sorts and once it sets it’s solid as a rock and heat and vibration resistant (and no nasty chemical small or discharge)

the filter should arrive tomorrow so if it does then I’ll check how far back I need to cut the adapter and get it bonded to the lid, I’m planning on reusing the standard rubber intake pipe from the throttle body to the lid (maybe swap for a silicon or plastic one in the future if I think it’s worth keeping on)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds good, I found my standard hose was perished around the creases, wasn’t apparent unless flexing it a little worth checking over fully.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I’ve got a couple of hoses so I can see which is the best, just been looking on ebay and 8 can get an MTC silicone hose for less than £30 if I like what I find once swapping over

181 - 200 of 200 Posts