MiniTorque.com banner
161 - 180 of 211 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,316 Posts
definitely looks like a spring, trouble is when they go the speed sensor wire and brake hose clipped into the damper bracket get landed on by the spring with the weight of the car behind it, the coils at the break point are usually wider than the perch the bottom of the spring normally sits on, so the spring drops right past hence the lights as the wire gets trapped/strained, and it will leave you at risk of brake failure, because the hose may now be supporting the car, if it doesn't give it could still hold the brake on or reduce its function as it'll work like a hose clamp,

basically, I wouldn't drive on it like that

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
I’ll have to have a look tomorrow morning as I’ve got to get home in it, worse comes to the worst I’ll get it recovered from here by green flag

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Well it got me home so hopefully tomorrow get it up on axle stands and see what the damage is!

lots to do, coilovers, side skirts, front discs and pads, may well get some rears as well and do the lot while it’s up in the air, may even strip the headlights back down and sort out the silver on the top of the indicators

to top it off the red car is in for it’s MOT tomorrow as well which it will fail on the brake sensor wire so no pressure to get this one fixed up quickly!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 · (Edited)
Well it was a broken spring….

Fallen off the perch

Teins at the ready

On with the rears

Front end including the brakes

Got frustrated by the brakes as I couldn’t getthe pads in, a call to carsorbikes sorted it though

And backon terrafirma, not too low, looks just right I recon

A bit of a knock from the front passenger side on the test drive, will have to have a look tomorrow when I do the side skirts

pleased with it though

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
The paperwork said 27mm from the bottom thread mark to the bottom of the adjustable perch as a reference which I should imagine would be for the standard height so I dropped that down to 20mm so it’s probably only a 10mm drop but just enough I think, I’ll give it time to settle and see how it looks in a few weeks but I don’t think I’ll be adjusting it any further, I’ll have to check what that knock is though, it’s over bumps so just need to check I’ve tightened everything up properly!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
One skirt done. Would have done them both but I decided to do the fuel flap while I had that side up in the air but struggled to get the original neck out so gave up, wasted too much time to doing that before I had to go off and do something else, hopefully get the other side do tomorrow now

Wheel Tire Car Window Vehicle

checked out the knocking and discovered the top damper adjuster on the teins is catching on the strut brace so I’m wondering if the top mount is worn on that side as it’s not touching on the drivers side, it’s only a few MM off it on that side too though, might be worth putting a couple of new ones on at some point maybe

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Still not got the other aero skirt on the drivers side however I’ve just bought a set of badly listed silver project adjustable front top mounts for it (the same as I’ve just put on the R53) so hopefully I may get the car up in the air again the end of next week, get those fitted and hope it cures the knock I’ve got on the front passenger side, I also still need to figure out how to get the cooper fuel flap fitted as I can’t get the existing flap door and mount off the car for some reason

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 · (Edited)
Up in the air again today to investigate the knock, as suspected after I fitted the teins I found a washer on the drive, turns out it was from the strut top on the passenger side which is the one which was knocking, the strut was sat straight on top of the coilover top
Green Light Automotive tire Tire Grass

as it happened I got a pair of project silver adjustable top mounts off eBay last week so I decided to fit them while the car was on the stands
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Tire Tread

I’ve set them up so the centres are about the same position as the standard mounts

How they came used
Window Wood Plant Automotive tire Glove

And adjusted
Shoe Window Plant Glove Wood

popped to my local garage who used his impact gun to get the old mounts off and new ones on as I don’t have a long enough socket
Footwear Green Automotive tire Asphalt Grass

and fitted, managed to get the strut brace back on too as they are now sitting properly
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

next up I jacked up the drivers side and fitted the replacement ABS sensor cable to the rear wheel as well as fitting the other aero skirt
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

back on the ground and ready to roll
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

took it out for a drive and the knock has gone, ABS light is still lit and now the airbag light has come on! Hopefully a get them switched off on the diagnostic machine at the garage

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
I’ve hardly used it since fitting the teins so I wondered where all that sand and grit came from too!

ive kept it around a 10mm drop, the dampening is set to 12 clicks, less wallowy than the R53 which is set to 8 clicks

·
Registered
2011 R56 N18 Mini Cooper S - 2012 R56 N16 Mini One
178 Posts
Hmmm! Got mine set at 8 and 8, started out at 6 in front and 8 in rear. Still a bit bouncy/wallowy as you say.
Had rear cable adjusters fitted so only need to lift back wheels off the ground to adjust them.
Will set them a bit softer at the weekend and see how we go. Might drop the front another 5 mm too, will be the same drop as the rear then.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
I’ve put this in the Tein spacer thread but I’ve just discovered my wheels are rubbing on the coilovers so I’ve had to order some wheel spacers for it, won’t be here until next week so I’ll just park it up and use the red car until I can get them fitted, gone for 12mm hub centric which should do the job, other than that I could take the 18s off for now and put the 17s back on

Green Light Automotive tire Garden hose Gas

161 - 180 of 211 Posts