MiniTorque.com banner
81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Swapped the seats this morning, can finally get into the back from the drivers side

View attachment 104224

View attachment 104225
New seats are looking good, nice job of cleaning them up.

For future interest it’s quite easy to remove the covers, you just need a decent set of hog ring pliers and some spare hog rings to reinstate. Then you can pop the covers in the washing machine, job done.

Makes for a good opportunity to install heated seat pads too!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Little bit of cosmetics today, first up I repaired the clips on the upper bonnet grille to save me having to buy a new one, gorilla epoxied them in place and they appear to be pretty solid

I then used some cheap vinyl wrap I got off Amazon and had a go at wrapping the piece, for a £10 piece of wrap it went on surprisingly well, not fantastic but that’s more down to me but more than passable

And the bottom bar to match

as I was happy with that I also wrapped the headlight rings so they would be gloss to match the grille as opposed to the Matt black plastic dip paint that was currently on them (before the headlight ring wrap)

And after, The final piece was the perforated vinyl over the spotlight lenses

really pleased with how they have turned out for a couple of hours work and £10!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Juat spent a few days at the caravan in cumbria, went up in the diesel, 160 mile each way on the motorway and used it as a run about so another 50 or so miles on top without missing a beat, all for £30 diesel, averaged 62mpg

I think I might look at getting the DPF back on it soon and seeing if the additive bag is empty or even active as I’ve had no warning lights to say it’s empty and it’s done 155k miles so it should be at the end of its 2nd bag at least

the only other issue I have is a pipe that I snapped and reglued when I was taking the old air box off back when I got the car came off again the other day while I was fiddling with the airbox again to stop it rattling on the strut brace, it’s the vacuum pipe for the brake servo that runs off the end of the engine, when it snapped I lost all brake assistance and the pedal went rock hard, luckily it was before I set off to cumbria so I managed to reglue it again and put some cable ties around it to double secure it but it’s something I need to swap pretty urgently incase it goes again on the road, I’m struggling to find it in the mini parts catalog on line as I don’t know if it’s a no engine part, brake part etc so I don’t know where to look for it, I’ve not found anything obvious in either parts lists

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
Found one on eBay, this is the part that’s broke, hoping I dont have to buy a whole pump but at less than £30 it’s not a bank breaker if I have to, could swap it at the same time I do the rocker gasket (and maybe injector seals)

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
found just the connector on ebay

my only other concern is now is if the broken piece of connector pipe has glued itself to the inside of the vacuum pipe, if so ill need to replace that too!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Coming along really nicely this for a car that’s been kept completely standard 😜 😂😂👍
It all went downhill when my workmate told me he had a garage full of styling parts for it

one thing I have done with this one is keep all the original parts so if it does die on me and I have to scrap it at some point I can bolt them back on and flog the performance bits separately, normally they are straight up on eBay and gone within minutes of swapping them out!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
The vacuum pipe adapter finally gave up the ghost earlier so I’ve had to park the car up until the bit arrives from eBay on hopefully Thursday so I can change it

luckily I’ve got a hire car tomorrow for work and the bike on the other days

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Swapped the broken pipe earlier today, couldn’t get the old one out so took the vacuum pump off and discovered a torx screw underneath

Broken pipe

off with the pump

clogged up little filter, any idea what it doe

all cleaned up

and back on the car with the new pipe in place

The airbox had been loose and rattling about for a while too as the mounting lugs and rubbers were missing or perished, I managed to improve with a bolt screwed up from below the broken lug so hopefully now it won’t rattle about (which is what caused the pipe to snap originally

I was going to have a look at the joints on the turbo to see where it was loose due to the spot on the heatshield but I couldn’t get the shield off so gave up, that can be a job for carsorbikes when he does the DPF for me

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Been roof rack whoring again today, got a Thule bike rack off eBay, brand new, unopened for £40, couldn’t find a UK version of it but could find American info so after a quick google I could see it was an older carrier that would fit the square bars that I had off greasemonkey for the R53

anyway it arrived today and out of curiosity I thought I’d see if it would go on the R56 and low and behold it fitted perfectly on the OEM mini roof rack, this one clamps under the bars and the front fork pin locks the bike rack to the crossbars, it’s not the most secure looking Thule rack I’ve seen security wise but I’ve got a set of locks on the way which should help for about 10 seconds, let’s be honest if someone wants the bike a tiny lock won’t make an ounce of difference no matter what carrier you have!

Really pleased with it though for a fraction of the cost of a newer OEM fork carrier, I can now carry my lads bike safely as his needs the wheel removed to be carried as the crossbar is too big for the clamp on the other carrier, I’ll most likely use it for my own bike too on trips where I don’t need to leave the car unattended for any length of time!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Many years ago (back in the nineties) a couple of the local hoodlums drove their car around the town I lived on a Saturday night with a bike on a roof rack. Later in the night one of them was sitting on the bike, on the roof, being driven around. At that point the local plod stepped in.

When you are young you really are stupid. Sadly a few never get to live beyond such shenanigans. One of the town idiots was killed in a car crash. There was an outpouring of grief and finger pointing to blame someone. Of course within a week they were all driving as if it had never happened.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Many years ago (back in the nineties) a couple of the local hoodlums drove their car around the town I lived on a Saturday night with a bike on a roof rack. Later in the night one of them was sitting on the bike, on the roof, being driven around. At that point the local plod stepped in.

When you are young you really are stupid. Sadly a few never get to live beyond such shenanigans. One of the town idiots was killed in a car crash. There was an outpouring of grief and finger pointing to blame someone. Of course within a week they were all driving as if it had never happened.
Boris…..gone but never forgotten!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Come to the car this morning, completely dead, the other mini on 3 wheels waiting a tyre, the Touareg away at the garage waiting for work for the MOT and the school run in 5 mins!

Feared the worst but popped the bonnet and touched the battery terminal and it sprung into life, the positive terminal was simply loose which was a bit odd as I’d not messed with it since I did the spotlights about 3 months ago, anyway went out on the school run and noticed a scraping from the front passenger side wheel, can’t work out if it’s a wheel bearing, driveshaft or brakes (the discs have an outer ridge but the pads are good), it does seem to stop if you turn the wheel ever so slightly, it seems to start/get noticeable at about 20mph, no juddering through the wheel though, any thoughts?

I had a quick look through the wheel and noticed that the brake dust protection disc thingy is absolutely rotten so I’m wondering if that is catching somewhere, especially combined with the battery terminal being loose and my wife, Kerby McGee, driving it yesterday after me (when there were no problems), wondering if maybe she been up to her usual antics and has been hunting out potholes and kerbs to drive into vibrating and loosening bits, I also noticed a couple more small kerb rashes on the alloys!

81 - 100 of 134 Posts