MiniTorque.com banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Well the wheels have come up well, I’ve cleaned them with alloy wheel cleaner with a hard brush front and back then gave the kerb rash a mild rub down and a coat of gloss black, 2 of them fully painted the rim and the other 2 patch sprayed the rash areas

let them dry and get them on the car this afternoon

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Well I’ve fitted them and took it for a spin, rides ok, the tracking still needs doing so it’s tram lining a little bit but I’ve just booked it in with seans chosen tracking people to see if they can get the track rod freed and the suspension aligned for me, will be going in next friday

really pleased with how they look, at the moment I’m not going to lower the car as I still want it to be comfy but never say never!

the more I look at it now the more I’m thinking about a black radiator trim, also need to black out the chrome around the fog light and maybe put some of that black perforated film I used on the indicators over the red lens

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Doubled the value of the car earlier by putting my new electric bike on the back!

might need to get a number plate holder for it so I don’t get stopped by the police

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
quick question about the DPF/EGR, i would hazard a guess looking at the bottom of the DPF on the car that its been tampered with as it has been welded, possibly now has no inners, i do have a replacement which im hoping that carsorbikes will fit for me at some point as its currently an MOT failure as it shows evidence of being tampered with

however im wondering will it have had to have been remapped by the previous owner to allow for the possible lack of DPF, im getting no lights on the dash to say there is an issue with the DPF or that the attitive bag is empty, which makes me think it MAY have been mapped out, however when im driving along on a longish trip and the car is hot enough i get a fair bit of black smoke out of it under power for about 20 seconds while in 4th gear which looking at other forums etc is pretty much where the car ‘regenerates’ itself by burning off the excess soot therefore im wondering if its possibly regenerating as it should be has it been deleted?

my main question is if it turns out it has been ‘deleted’, once i fit the new DPF can it be un-deleted as it were, ie put back to standard with the additive bag be reactivated if i find thats empty and i get a new one for it?

if its not been deleted then im hoping the new DPF and additive bag will sort it out

obviously the car is also running the tdi tuning box map too and i dont know if that is effected by the possible lack of DPF, certainly doesnt feel like it power wise, the only other thing ive noticed is the outside of the turbo has gone sooty, other than that, running like a dream hence why i want to get it running correctly emissions wise

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Did 170 miles in it today back home from the caravan without a puff of black smoke out of it!

I suspect yesterday’s bat mobile smoke screen was the accumulation of a lot of months worth of soot exiting the car

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Driven over to north Wales (just) to see if the tracking can be done on it, my local place wouldn’t do it as the track rod ends are seized but carsorbikes told me to bring it here as they don’t mind using a bit of heat to see if they will free, if they will fantastic, if not then CoB can change the track rods for me at some point!

of course if they do succeed then I’ll bring the red car over for the tracking as it’s in the same boat with the seized track rod endsand I’ve not had it done since I fitted the Teins, however I’ve got the silver works adjustable top mounts to fit to that too

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well they have managed to free the drivers side and align that so far, he’s just started on the passenger side

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
All sorted, freed both side and tracked up, steering wheel is straight and it doesn’t tramline so happy with that!

called at carsorbikes house, ran the diagnostics on it, lots of historic faults mainly relating to when I swapped the lights etc by the look of it but nothing horrendous otherwise, she was a smoky old bus again today on the way there though every so often

Sean identified it will probably need it’s rocker cover gasket changing as what I thought was diesel around the injectors is in fact oil, it looks a simpleish job that I’ll have a go at myself when I get the gasket, also the soot on the turbo looks to be coming from the opposite side to the air intake, I’ll have to get the heatshield off to see where exactly but Sean says it may just be a clip that’s not tight

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Got home and the roof rack has arrived so I have fitted that, bit fiddly and useless instructions but a good video on YouTube helped

first job, only for the first time you fit it is cut the roof rubber on some perforations, I couldn’t see them on my car very well but I could on carsorbikes R56s so knew where to look once I got home, you can just about see them in this pic, 2 upright lines

And snipped off

when it’s not in use you fit these cover caps

you then place the rack on the roof and undo the nut, then using a special tool push down on the bracket

tighten the nut and the gap in the bracket will get smaller and the rack will lock into place

once all 4 are tight you then flip down the covers and lock them in place

at that point you realise you need to undo one side of the flip down covers to slide the bike rack on!

you also have to trim the rubber on the roof rack cross bar to fit the bike rack, it’s in place and secure, has locks to secure it to the rack as well as to lock the bike to the rack

and with the bike in place

looking forward to having some adventures on it now!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I’m gonna have to put a sticker on the dash saying “BIKE ON ROOF” when it’s on there coz I’m bound to forget!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Oh the joys of buying off eBay, one of the boden cables on the seats is broken so I can’t tip it forward to access the back seats so I’ve been looking out for a cheap set of black leather or 1/2 leather seats to replace the whole lot, anyway a set came up the other night that looked today enough, put an offer in and got them for a decent price

collected them this morning from high Wycombe (tied in nicely with finishing work down there) and they are in a right state, not bad enough to not use but I’ve got to give them a bloody good clean “I listed them ages ago and they have been in my shed for months but I didn’t realise my cats had been sleeping on them, I don’t know whether to clean them or stroke them!

as for the rear bench that’s going to need a bloody good jet wash and shampoo to get it useable, as I say it’s not a huge job but annoying that I’ve got to now spend a load of time refreshing them

Any recommendations for a good shampoo, I’m actually probably going to jet wash the front seats

how the listing showed them

How they really are

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Not so :sick: now, in all fairness they came up ok, anyone who follows my other thread will know i re-dyed a set of blue back seats black to match the sparco fronts so I adopted the same method and tidied up the leather bits on these ones, really pleased with how they cleaned up, will try and fit them soon

Couldn’t have managed it without a bit of child labour!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Gave it a clean earlier and also swapped the badges for black ones as well as blacking out the chrome ring round the fog light and putting the perforated film over the lens

I may pop it back out and give the white of the bumper a touch of black paint as you can see it behind the bezel at the bottom

also put a black badge on the front so now I’m thinking it’s time to black out the grille surround except all the clips are snapped on it along the top so I will have to get a replacement before I do that (or use the broken one just to see how it looks)

Debating whether to swap the seats over in a bit

61 - 80 of 109 Posts