MiniTorque.com banner
261 - 280 of 303 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Having had a couple of phaetons it’s almost like Having one of those again, it’s not got much tech in it, manual seats etc

I’ll probably change the stereo at some point for one with apple play

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Got a few bits planned for it

black badges, beltline dechrome and a stereo swap are a definite, possibly take the plug and play Vibe amps and bass speaker from the R53 and fit them in this too

TDI tuning box coming off the R56 at the weekend for a reprogram if I get the chance, might even see if the k&n will go in the airbox as it looks about the same size

just driven it back from Birmingham, 60 miles and averaged 67 mpg at a steady 70 on the motorway at 2000 or so RPM, roughly the same consumption as the mini but nice and comfy compared to both the minis

i can see me selling the R53 now too!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Just had a google of the crankshaft sensor and it’s removal and it’s doable in a set of ramps by the look of it

Ordered a sensor on Amazon for £18 so I’m going to give it a go and see if I can fix it, if I can then I will still get all the bits off and sell it as a complete working car, I may have to leave the coilivers on as replacement suspension is proving hard to source

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
The garage also ordered a sensor for about the same price and are hopefully going to get it fitted this morning for me and see where we go from there, I wait with baited breath

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 · (Edited)
The sensor was a bit more of a job than anticipated but all done at a cost of £120 including the part so fairly happy with that, at least I can now sell it on as a working car when I get back from my hols, still going to do the part out (bits listed in the classifieds already) but I’m sure it will be a decent car for someone if I price it right

took the crappy window film off the rear of the Skoda earlier, used a hairdrier and IPA to get the adhesive off, much better now, can see out properly

before, all bubbled and distorted around the middle of the screen
Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive mirror Vehicle

much better without (and still tinted)
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Got the wheels and lights swapped over as well as removing the G wing

I’m leaving the Teins on and I recon I might just leave the side skirts on for selling it as I can’t be bothered removing them and I’ll have to buy new clips for etc

it still looks the dogs danglies back to standard
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

still got to get the Towbar off as well as removing the pedal boost chip and TDI tuning box, I’ll get it up for sale in a couple of weeks time after my holidays

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Had a go at de-chroming the Skoda earlier, done one side so far, quite happy with it but may need to do the rear boot window surround again as I made a bit of a mess on the curve

Also vinyl’s the headlight washers too

Took a trip to the caravan in it last night, 62mpg, didn’t miss a beat all the way, went very wellcan’t wait to get it chipped to 185bhp!

bought my wrap with me to get the passenger side done while I’m at the ‘van, a Skoda fabia passed me on the motorway, white with a black roof which looked really nice, tempted to do the same with this car as well as the preplanned roof bars going black

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
First of the bits sold, G wing, rear lights, fuel flap and strut brace, made back more than I paid for them, wheels are next up to finish on eBay, £350 with no bids and a couple of days to go, if they don’t sell I’ll touch them up with a bit of black paint over the kerb rash

also removed the sprint boost button and K&N panel filter to list on eBay soon, still need to get the Towbar off, not bothering with the angel eye DRLs or spotlights though (so far)

stripped the TDI tuning box off it ready to send off for reprogramming for The Skoda, hopefully get that sent on Friday

then it’s time to think about selling the actual car

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Nice result off eBay, offer accepted on a set of used FK coilivers that I can throw under the car for when I sell it, I can now take the teins and project silver top mounts off to sell separately

got them for £75 which is a damn sight cheaper than buying used standard suspension and I don’t really care how it rides once they are on!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Don’t really care how it drives, once it’s gone it’s gone!

I wouldn’t say it’s a false economy, I’ll probaly get the cost of them back selling the top mounts alone, should get decent money for the Teins too

while it’s in the air I’ll probably take the side skirts off, I’ll most likely then list the car as ‘spares or repairs’ at a more realistic starting price

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Looks like I may have sold the car as it is, took the G-Wing to the guy who bought it off me on eBay and he said he’ll have it off me as it stands with the teins and side skirts on etc, agreed a price I was happy for it to go for and said I’ll keep hold of it until early next month (it’s not in the way) and he’ll come up and collect it on a trailer as it’s not insured now

just got to take the Towbar off as he doesn’t want it, he said he’d do it and give it me back if I wanted but it won’t take me long to do myself

Seemed to like his minis especially as he has tweedbeans old green R53 sat on his drive too!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
Will you be sad to see it go?
yeah, definitely but it’s served it’s purpose now, got 12 months more than I was expecting out of it and has been quite a good learning experience to try and do things on it myself such as the DPF swap, wheel bearings and coilovers etc

It really owes me nothing, I’ve not made a profit on the car itself but that was never the intention however the bits I’ve taken off and sold separately I have sold for a bit of profit once added up (and I still have bits to list)

once this is gone the red one is going and that I will be sad to see go!

261 - 280 of 303 Posts