Bumper off

Crash beam off

Towbar fitted and crash beam back in place

Bolts added underneath

Towball gubbins

And the removable swan neck test fitted

Bumper back on

And with the towball fitted

I can now tow my little trailer to the local tip but the real reason I got it is I can now fit the towball mounted bike carrier I have instead of the saris if I want, the only thing left to do is the electrics but i might get someone to do that for me, although it’s not too complicated really if I do it myself

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
As I suspected one of the brackets inside the headlight was broken…
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Speedometer Steering part Steering wheel

So I’ve put copious amounts of gorilla epoxy on it and am letting it set for a few hours, hopefully it will stay put!
Automotive tire Tread Tire Automotive design Wood

while I was messing about I found the old piece of perforated vinyl I used on the fog light and put it over the other headlight lens, to be honest the sticky isn’t very good in places and there are a few tears but I wanted to see how it looked so it’s just temporary, I think it looks quite good personally, I’ll get the other light done too once the epoxy sets and if it doesn’t effect the light at night I’ll get a decent piece of vinyl and do it properly
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Home appliance

Looks ok from a distance!
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hmmm. that Fly Eye coating film ruins the surface of headlights, as many have found out after removing it.

With the newer and more strict MOT guidance regarding headlight output, it may not pass with that on.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of the stuff.

I would leave the headlights as they are. Can you get clear glass for the indicators inside? I have seen R56's with clear front indicators.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Hmmm. that Fly Eye coating film ruins the surface of headlights, as many have found out after removing it.

With the newer and more strict MOT guidance regarding headlight output, it may not pass with that on.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of the stuff.

I would leave the headlights as they are. Can you get clear glass for the indicators inside? I have seen R56's with clear front indicators.
i have seen the clear indicator lenses but it means taking the lights apart, saying that if the gorilla’d bracket doesn’t hold I may need to anyway in which case I can do as I did with the old lights and put that perforated stuff over the indicator lenses

i did wonder about the mot but I’d just take it off for it and refit new stuff afterwards, not due til December anyway, got the other side done now too

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Got a Thule bike rack for the Towbar this afternoon, also got the wiring kit but will need to find the time to wire it up, annoyingly I’ve just arrived at work in walsall to find my job is cancelled until 00:15 tonight (7 hours away) so I could have spent the time I’m sat at the depot waiting to start to wire it if I’d have known!

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Drove back in the dark last night and from Birmingham, the glued light has held up ok so far and it’s much better now, I did however do part of the journey with the perforated vinyl on then stopped and ripped one of them off and the light was further improved, a lot more than I thought it would so I’ve removed the other side now too and will just run it with standard looking lights

also noticed that when I drive over a bump or the occasional pothole the rear passenger side wheel makes a grinding noise for a bit then after a few corners etc it will stop, I jacked the car up this morning and I think the wheel bearing is on the way out as there is a little bit of play when I rock the wheel, nothing major at the minute but something I need to get changed before it gets worse, might try and do it myself sometime in the week

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Yeah, just bought a pair of rear bearings, may as well do both while it’s jacked up, also got the stud conversion to fit so a good opportunity to do that at the same time

Also going to raise the back ever so slightly on the coilivers because of the extra weight of the Towbar

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
One wheel bearing done, and he old one was definitely on its way out, could rock it by hand without the wheel on

noticed the disc didn’t have it’s securing bolt in when I got the wheel off, had to put it back without but I’ll get one from euro later and put it on asap

Old bearing off

New one on

i was going to put the stud conversion on but I recon they are too long as I got them for wheels with spacers as per the front and I’m not putting spacers in the rear, experimenting with them loose I recon the wheels were far too far out and would have caught the arches at times

This was it without the spacers

Didn’t take any more pics as I needed to get it done and out on the school run but it’s definitely cured the grinding on the rear, just need to get that ABS light off now!

201 - 211 of 211 Posts