MiniTorque.com banner
181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R56 N18 Mini Cooper S - 2012 R56 N16 Mini One
178 Posts
You have gone pretty low on the fronts too by the looks of it.
Only 4 threads showing below adjustment ring in pic above.
I have 8 showing on mine. I am super cautious though.

Green Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Cylinder

I think (and this is without spacers) if you leave it this low 17's might rub too.
i.e from the pic above If i dropped it as low as yours I reckon it would rub too.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Upped it to 6 threads and put the 11.5mm spacers in the front courtesy of alhig

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

longer bolts, I have ordered a stud conversion kit though
Hand tool Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Auto part

much better
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

also took it to my local garage who attempted to clear the fault lights, the machine bought up loads of historic faults including one showing the egr had been deleted on it

The issue I’m having is the airbag light has come on as well as the seatbelt light, and the fuel gauge has gone haywire and the abs light is still lit, it looks like the abs light is possibly the front left sensor, I may have stretched the cable when I dropped the shocks to put the coilivers on, I’ve renewed the rear one when I fitted the coilovers, I might plug the one I took off into the front to see if it clears the light

The diagnostics showed there is a hall sensor fault on the seat belt buckle hence why that light is think, I unplugged the connections below the seat and it cleared it but it’s come back on again

Speedometer Odometer Car Motor vehicle Trip computer

Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Trip computer

frustrating is the word!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Got thinking about a comment my local garage said about the lights on the dash when he tried to reset them, he mentioned the battery being ok, as far as I know it is, starts on the button (but as I type this I can think of a couple of times it hasn’t the last few weeks!) so I thought I’d put my basic battery tester on the car to see what it did, basically it came up as the battery being ok but the alternator fault light was flashing

messaged carsorbikes and he has mentioned a possibility of it being under voltage, im going to jump lead it to my wife’s Touareg tomorrow to see if the extra voltage kick turns out the airbag light (the abs will proably stay on as I need or swap the front sensor)

also got a horrible feeling the rear passenger side wheel bearing may be on the way out too, all good fun

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Strange shenanigans going on!

swapped the front ABS sensor earlier and straight away the airbag and seatbelt lights went off and the fuel gauge started working (also noticed the outside temperature gauge had returned, didn’t notice it gone until it came back!)

the only thing the new ABS sensor light didn’t do was put the ABS light out, took it to the garage who put it on the machine which cleared it but as soon as I braked it came back on, still showing as signal failure to the 2 sensors I replaced but it’s obviously done something to clear the other (unrelated) faults

Sean has suggested tying to do some real time data checks on it to see if the sensors are getting a signal while in motion, I’ll have to arrange to do that at some point, no rush but the main thing is I now have the other lights out and I know how much fuel I’ve got and I’m not having to mess about changing the alternator as that was another possible issue which is now ok

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Went to work in it last night in Buxton, got to say really enjoyed the drive from congleton over wildboarclough, first proper go I’ve had in it since fitting the teins and despite it not being set up correctly it handled like it was on rails on rhe twisty bits, very impressed with it, just need to get that ABS light off now and I’m sorted

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Finally got round to dismantling the front lights to add silver wrap to the top of the indicator tunnel

when I originally sprayed them I did the top black, not realising quite how much reflected light I’d lose

So I got myself some silver wrap off Amazon and have stuck it to the top of the tunnel

before trimming

And cut back

And back together

Got to use it tonight so I’ll see if it’s improved it at all, should do

Also put a couple of subtle black ‘Tein’ decals on the rear side windows and the raised one on the tailgate (the 2 white decals that came with the coilovers have gone on the R53)

drove it down to Oxford this afternoon for work and it never missed a beat, rode really well too, still got to get the tracking done though

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Well I took the car out at night after redoing the silver inside the headlights and it didn’t really make much of a difference, still poor visibility

I’ve just managed to get a pair of standard headlights off eBay for £30 so I’m going to fit those back on to it and see if it’s any better, I may still take them apart to put the black over the indicator lenses but other than that all the silver bits inside will stay the same

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Got myself a nice saris bones bike rack from cash converters this afternoon, now I’ve got a light bike (or 4) I can put the rack on the car as required instead of having the roof rack fitted permanently as I have had for the last 9 months, with any luck it may improve the MPG without the roof rack fitted!

I routed the top straps below the G-Wing after I took the pic
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Hood

so used to seeing the car with the roof rack it looks strange without!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

hopefully swap the headlights tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Replacement headlight on but I forgot to level them before I set off to the caravan so they were pointing all over the place, one shining at the floor and the other in the air, hopefully when it gets dark later I can adjust them a bit better but even with them not set up they were definitely a lot brighter than the ones I’d Joey’d

they don’t look too bad with the orange indicators, better than I thought so I’ll probably leave them as they are (for now)
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
For the trip up to the caravan at the weekend I had my new rear mount bike rack with a single bike on and the trip back was without the rack as I’ve left the bike at the caravan, overall the fuel consumption without the roof rack fitted rose from 50 mpg to 54 mpg!

Adjusted the lights last night too, still a little low on one side and I notice the bulb is rattling up and down over bumps so there may be a screw or bolt loose within the light leveller maybe, I’ll have to have a look tomorrow, otherwise the little bit of adjustment I managed certainly improved the visibility more

181 - 200 of 211 Posts