MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I’d share this with you, here is a pic if one of my other rides, a class 66with a mere 3200hp this one, capable of pulling about 3000 ton

then we have a class 60, 3100 hp but lower geared which can pull 5000 ton without breaking a sweat, I used to drive 4000 ton oil trains with these! They used to have trouble with the engines on these putting a leg out of bed, it happened once where they couldn’t find the piston once it went, it was later found about 1/4 mile from the railway having flown into someone’s garden via the side door of the loco!

Then We have a good old class 37, only 1750hp but such good fun and noisy to drive, 60 years old now but good old locos

Any other Railway workers or enthusiasts on here?

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You wanna try being in the engine room when one is running, I always worry that it’s going to put a piston out of the side as I’m walking through the engine room!

·
Bugger
25,314 Posts
As a designer I always loved the old liveries, the 1st intercity's were a classic.

The modern designs / colours look awful. I like the Swiss and French designs as well.

I miss how comfortable the interiors were as well.

Its a shame we don't have double decker ones here as well.

The Swiss know how to do that, we quite often get them from Geneva to Verbier when we ski.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was lucky enough to meet sir kenneth grange the designer of the intercity 125 the same day I got passed out to drive them, got a signed picture off him

This is the one I used to drive all the time, “The flying Banana” it records the tracks etc at up to 125mph, it’s quite intense driving something so big at those speeds, no time for lapses of concentration!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I dint drive trains, but managed to wangle a sit in the drivers seat of an Azuma earlier this year....like Star Trek in there!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not driven one of those, the company i work for does testing on them and moves them around the country but I don’t sign them personally

1 - 7 of 7 Posts