MiniTorque.com banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
718 Posts
It started a commute car for me then I got the R53 and as I enjoyed it so much I seceded to keep hole of it so it really became weekend and summer car and was used for getting me to work when the blue car was broken

The original plan was to keep it for when my eldest turns 17 so he could have it as he said he liked it when he was 15, he’s since decided he would like to buy my stepdads crewcab pick up off him which he’s agreed to if he still has it when the lad turns 17 next year (good luck insuring it though!)
Yeah its funny mate, dont know how you feel but having had both a Cooper and a Cooper S (both facelifts), I dont personally see the Cooper (or even a One with the mods...as its basically a Cooper) as a poor relation to be honest.

Yeah could be argued the regular Mini doesnt look quite as sporty as the R53 (though its probably prettier 🤣) and of course not as fast but for me theres just something to be relished in a modestly powered NA car that has a chassis that can take far more than has been thrown at it. I absolutely loved thrashing the Cooper and part of the challenge I found was getting it up to speed then being able to carry that speed through bends. Just think they are a very good, fun car and quite underrated...... probably overlooked/ignoree by many purely because of the existence of the R53.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yeah its funny mate, dont know how you feel but having had both a Cooper and a Cooper S (both facelifts), I dont personally see the Cooper (or even a One with the mods...as its basically a Cooper) as a poor relation to be honest.

Yeah could be argued the regular Mini doesnt look quite as sporty as the R53 (though its probably prettier 🤣) and of course not as fast but for me theres just something to be relished in a modestly powered NA car that has a chassis that can take far more than has been thrown at it. I absolutely loved thrashing the Cooper and part of the challenge I found was getting it up to speed then being able to carry that speed through bends. Just think they are a very good, fun car and quite underrated...... probably overlooked/ignoree by many purely because of the existence of the R53.
Very true. power isn't everything. However that's how I compare my R53 to my Focus ST225 (tuned to 320bhp and 360lbs/ft torque).

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
this was my Mini One, stock pea shooter exhaust, Autologic map, Autologic 100rpm idle increase, my cam added, K&N drop in element, map was only for full throttle nothing to do with the cam, still on T rated skinny tyres rated for only 108mph, this would drive straight to 130 and out drag Coopers wanting to pace or chase whatever they were doing, I took it to 135 where it stayed but I felt I was pushing my luck haha, it felt a bit lean, it was amusing to drive.

the longer gears worked for me, it wasn't a rocket ship as it hadn't been tuned properly, still it had a sweet spot that once learned involved little throttle input on the motorways or A roads where the cam was just working well for it and it was a hoot. Less is more etc.

I genuinely wish I'd kept it, loved the white, the chrome in and out, the sports cloth seats, the spare wheel even, and a/c.

If I get another it will get a six speed conversion with a quiet helical final drive change, manifold, same cam, and 1320 map with a small intake mod likely and probably an injector change if necessary, different valves and springs, alloy flywheel and ATB diff. All concealed bits ;O)

I'd leave taller tyres on it and probably do zilch with the suspension but would fit R56S front brakes with Carbotech pads probably, appearance would be bog standard, nobody would have a clue other than it's nice rhythmic hunting which for those who don't know different would just seem like it wasn't running quite right :unsure: 😂 I think Jenvey do a TB kit for these, that'd be novel but also noisy....

Attachments

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
As with the cooper S the convertible is going this weekend, decided to have a road trip in it to pipsyp on the south coast, was going to do it next weekend and meet en route but as I’ve got a free day on Sunday I’ve offered to take it all the way and get the train back

sad to see this one go, my first mini and so reliable compared to the S, another one I spent a fair few quid on but mainly cosmetic but also a few performance bits which I’ve left on for pipsyp to enjoy

going to enjoy the final trip on Sunday but I suspect the roof will be staying up!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Don’t doubt it, I’m sure it will look a lot better cosmetically after you have had it a bit

61 - 66 of 66 Posts