MiniTorque.com banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 195bhp (so far!)
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Been having a think about some new coilovers on the car as it’s far too low as it is with very little or no further adjustment on the front to raise it slightly as for a starter I’m catching the front air dam on the driveway and more importantly I have a vibration through the driveshaft as it’s so low

the current coilivers are a set of used bilstein B14s, one of the rear ones having a seized adjustment ring which means I can’t raise that end of the car to match should I (more to the point, carsorbikes) be able to get the front raised slightly

im obviously going to avoid the bottom end of the market (around the £200 mark) and can’t afford what is class the top end (£1000+ mark) so am looking for a middle ground of around £500, I’ve been having a look at Tein street advance Z which if I buy by the end of today (19th feb) on eBay I can get £60 off, so £456

I’ve seen some good reviews of them on here, but also some not so good, not horrendous but not exactly singing their praises from the rooftops, the likes of orenjee and lohen sell them so I’d like to think they are pretty decent or they wouldn’t do so

anyone got any experience of them, how do they ride etc, they do appear to have adjustable damper settings, is it worth getting adjustable top struts too?

thought I’d ask here rather than start another ‘which coilivers are best’ thread

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
@Astroboy, Colin uses Tein I believe and haven't seen him write a bad word about them.

Running negative camber certainly made a difference to grip and turn in, however unless you have run negative camber previously you won't know what you're missing if that makes sense?

Not sure if the Teins come with top mounts, if not and your current ones are no good and you need to refresh them anyway then you may as well get adjustable ones.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,685 Posts
I got my Teins on an ebay offer as well. They don't go particularly low but if you can live with that then they are as near a no brained as you'll get. No top mounts included but I reused the RTM ones I had on my AP's

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jim, what about a set off of Sean? Heard quite a few good reviews already about them even though as far as a I know they're a pretty new comer to the market. I believe they do a set for the 53 that come with neg camber plates, may be adjustable for bump and rebound (?)
A mate at work is having a set done for his DC5 and although it's taking a while they send him build updates (believe they were testing them last week tbh) They are a UK based supplier and if there was ever a problem you can pick the phone up and talk to someone.
They also do sets for the likes of V10 Audi R8's and the like to take that crappy magnaride off the vehicle.

I know what you mean about the B14's, my aero bumper is minus it's lip now even though I'm on 215/45/17's and I'm on max height on the fronts! :oops:🤣🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
It has been discussed with Sean!

It could well happen yet, it’s just it’s quite a jump from mid range price I was looking at to what Sean supplies, if I was looking at say BC racing price range then it would be a no brainier!

I was a bit worried that his set up would be ‘lost’ on my car as i really am going for looks rather than ‘serious’ track day handling etc as it’s just my day to day commute car and nothing else but Sean and his pursuasive ways (ie he will hit me with a camchaft if I buy cheap crap) has got me thinking I should bite the bullet and pay the extra, I can tie it in with when he does the front brake swap over for me too

I may see him tomorrow weather dependant to swap the pulley belt on the car, if so I may see if he can take me out in his car with the suspensions set up he recommends to me, I’m very fickle so will most likely end up buying some off him!

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Just won a used set of the Tein street advance Z off eBay for £350, worth a punt at that price, I should get something back on the Bilstein B14s when I list them once they are off (assuming the Teins are ok)

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
With the weather on my side this morning I sprayed the final coats of leather dye to the seats

Mmmm.....shiny

thankfully dulls down when it’s dry

Then popped over the carsorbikes house for him to swap my supercharger pulley belt and fit the atomspeed scoop which has been professionally sprayed chilli red and looks the absolute danglies on the car!

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
The scoop does look awesome!

just driven back with the new smaller belt on the supercharger and it’s running a lot better, almost like it should be running, not quite perfect as it still needs the map but it’s pulling stronger through the gears, noticeably different

As for the seats, properly drying in the mancave with the heating on, looking good

got a couple of stickers for the headrests too to match the fronts

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
744 Posts
Nice one pal, glad to hear the pulley swaps bought it back to how it was and great job on the seats they look cracking 👍👍

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
it wasn't the pulley swap today, just a shorter belt, as the one supplied was simply too long for the 15% pulley they supplied, whoever supplied it.

fyi, if fitting a 15% pulley you need a 6pk1360 belt imo, not a 68.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
744 Posts
it wasn't the pulley swap today, just a shorter belt, as the one supplied was simply too long for the 15% pulley they supplied, whoever supplied it.

fyi, if fitting a 15% pulley you need a 6pk1360 belt imo, not a 68.
Yep exactly what I experienced with my old one Sean, I ended up going from Gates 1368 to Contitech 1360 with mine, in fact think it was you who suggested it 👍👍

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Basically the top bolt which held the arm in place was totally missing, the odd thing was if the bolt worked loose out of the threaded piece (Sean say it happens) it will come out a certain distance and be stopped by the engine bay bulkhead cavity as it’s too long to fall out as it were, it was a puzzle as to what’s happened to it as it’s nowhere to be seen in the engine bay or cavity!

next up mechanically is the map at 1320 next Tuesday then back to Sean for the suspension and brakes fitting, maybe the week after

Other than that I’ve got the rear seats to remove to fit the rear 6x9 speakers and run the amp wiring from the stereo to the boot, I’ve had a new idea with the boot to mount the amp differently

Ive got to change the heating controls as I damaged the existing one trying to change a bulb in it then fit the leather back seats in it

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Dunno really, 230bhp would be a nice figure going by what the the old car was

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Looking great Jim. Glad it's running better with the shorter belt.

I've got a non climate heater control unit but it's got the button for heated screen which don't think yours has?

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I’ve got the panel already thanks, just got to find the time to fit it

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
The completed back seats

Failed it’s MOT earlier, headlights aiming too high and a seal on the fuel cap, should be sorted for the morning

121 - 140 of 143 Posts