Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Tinkered in the boot for an hour earlier

made myself a template out of card

Which I then transferred to some ply

Cut out

And placed in the boot for size, fits perfectly and as I’ve used thin ply it will bend ever so slightly to allow me to secure it flush in the top corner, I’ve ordered some dark grey vinyl to cover it with and once done the amp will screw onto it

On the opposite side I’ve gone back to the same design I did in the blue car and will mount the box upside down to sit under the plastic shelf

In other news the Tein coilivers arrived today, cleaned them up and will see how they go when Sean fits them for me, hopefully no problems with them and will raise the car a bit

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
The vinyl arrived to cover the panel but it’s too light, I’ve ordered a sheet of anthracite instead to see how that look

meanwhile a late night trawl of Amazon warehouse deals bagged me this nice centre console

keeping on the interior theme, it’s a sparco one

which loosely placed looks pretty good in my opinion and at £13 a damn sight cheaper than a used factory fit one off eBay!

the Mounting bracket covers the rear cup holder Which is a shame as my front ones are useless since I dropped the heater controls for the double din, I suppose as I’m on a diet it will stop me putting maccy D fizzy drinks in there! I can mount it in front of the holder but it may be too far forward that I’ll catch my arm on it while changing gear, I’ll have a proper look on Sunday when I’m day off

also farmed from the warehouse deals this morning was a K&N panel filter for the Cooper S for a princely £20, I may pop it in instead of the pipercross one currently fitted

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Got home from work an hour early so decided to make a start on preparing the car to fit the rear speakers and run the rca cable down to the boot

As it happened it didn’t take as long as I thought and the job I planned for tomorrow I got done too!

first up was strip the seats out, boy this makes getting to the rear speakers so much easier!

and in with the speakers

I then ran the cables down the side of the car, I had the foresight when I put the head unit in to bag up the cables behind the dash!

I also removed the pedal boost chip while the dash was down as after the trip to 1320 this coming Thursday I was told I wouldn’t need it

then I put the car back together and fitted the leather rear seats, by now it had gone dark so the pics aren’t fantastic, I’ll get some better ones tomorrow, I’m really pleased with how they have come out

note the sparco arm rear too

tomorrows job is swap the pipercross filter with the k&n, position the amp board and wire up the amp (I will have to remove it again to retrim though), secure the armrest, change the heating controls and secure the headunit USB connector in the glovebox, then maybe give it a wash

also got speakers and an under seat sub to fit to my wifes touareg, annual leave this coming week so hopefully get that done too

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Better view of the back seats

and onto the boot build, first up was fitting a quick release clip in the pocket so if I need to remove the amp quickly for whatever reason I just unplug the one piece and the rca leads

I was going to do the side panel in grey vinyl but I found some red carpet from the convertible boot build so i thought I’d try something different, also found a spare in line fuse holder that I thought I could

and trimmed the box to match

then fitted the amp panel

Emptied the boot and fitted the side panels to the amp

just waiting on a new Rockford Fosgate dual voice coil sub arriving in the week which I’ll wire to 4ohm so I should get a nice bit of noise out of it!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
A last minute trip to carsorbikes house today, tein coilovers and R56 brakes fitted, I’ve left the car with him as I’ve been asked to work tonight and he still had a bit more work to do on it (only one side is complete so far)

first impressions of the fitting of the coilivers on one side is it’s sitting about 20mm higher than the bilsteins with them wound right off compared to the bilsteins which were 2 or 3 threads from the bottom so there is scope to drop the car lower but it’s not looking too bad as it stands and the drive shaft judder had gone too so it will probably be ok as it is, will have to see how it looks and rides when completed, Sean has set the damper stiffness to about 30% too so hopefully playing with that setting may help it feel less trashy than the bilsteins

collect it tomorrow all being well

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Picked the car up from Sean this evening with the teins fitted, all i can say it’s like chalk and cheese compared to the bilsteins, doesn’t feel crashy over bumps at all, corners well (it’s not aligned properly yet though) it was a pleasure to drive back without worrying about my fillings falling out over the bumps

it’s currently sitting about the same height as when it had its sports suspension + fitted, I’m going to give it time to settle before reviewing it, I may look at taking them down by 10mm or so, as it stands now the drive shaft judder has gone completely and I no longer scrape the drive edge when driving up it in forward or reverse!

the new brakes are spot on too, certainly stops a lot better than it did, and that’s reusing the discs and pads that came with it, really pleased with them too, I took a chance on both parts with them being used off eBay, let’s hope in the long run trying to save a few (hundred) quid will pay off

next stop 1320 on Thursday

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
And here we are all washed and cleaned!

I’m still thinking maybe drop it another 10-15mm if it doesn’t effect the driveshafts but as it stands it looks pretty standard and a bit of a sleeper!

the bass speaker turned up too, fitted that as well, sounds pretty good

All set for the trip to 1320 tomorrow, bytronik remap, new snoot boots as they are starting to split and 550 injectors going in (also new gasket on the tomcat joint as it was noted as blowing on the MOT last week)

looking forward to seeing the end results!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)
Initial run on the dyno and it’s underfuelling at bottom end and over fuelling at the top, currently having the injectors swapped, new snoots and inlet pipe replaced as I noticed it was split yesterday

watch this space to see what happens after the tune!!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
They have had an issue with the bitronik server and it’s caused a problem with my ECU which can’t be rectified until they hear back from the USA so Tom has had to fit a piggy back ECU to the car to get me home as my ECU has locked up!

I’ll have to come back next week to have the remap done properly onto my ECU, been one of those days today with another small problem with the car needing attention too but at least now it has the injectors and inlet pipe fitted and exhaust blow sorted etc

blowing exhaust gasket

Split inlet hose, impossible to see when fitted

he piggyback ecu map is giving me 191bhp at the wheels (221 at the crank) and of course it’s fuelling properly, once my ecu goes back on and is mapped tom says I will have pretty much the same figures which I’m happy with, was expecting somewhere around 220-230 mark

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Took the car to seans straight after 1320 to have a look at the suspension and take him for a spin in the car, he has dropped it 10mm for me, still no driveshaft judder so all good, I think I’m going to leave it at that level as it does look a touch lower and it’s still drivable!

unfortunately on the way down the motorway a 4x4 in front of me kicked up a stone and smashed my windscreen, one of those chips that has gradually got longer on the journey home so no doubt I’ll be wasting my day tomorrow having a new screen fitted!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Looking a bit lower with the extra 10mm dropped off the suspension height, happy with how it looks and rides so I’ll be leaving it at that height, booked it in Monday for tracking again

Bloody cracked windscreen, £90 excess I won’t get back!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
So here have the final figures from 1320 after they swapped the ecu back to my own and properly tuned it up, 195bhp at the wheels (225 at the crank)

the graph shows the original figures and fuelling from last week as the dotted line

As expected it’s running fantastic now, pulls like a bugger throughout the whole Rev range

that’s me done with it mechanically now, no more to change or add (honest)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Once you pop, you can't stop.

Car is looking good and running well.

A set of aero skirts (personally not so keen on the aero bumpers) would finish that off a treat and they are a simple fit.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Watching some red aero skirts on eBay, Been up on there a while but I can’t afford it this month so I’m hoping they don’t sell and I’ll maybe get them next month

won some black headlight rings yesterday too, gonna see how they look on it

I’m done engine wise though I recon

141 - 160 of 199 Posts