MiniTorque.com banner
281 - 300 of 336 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
The one on the floor behind the door is the original storyboard of the scene from ‘Lisa on ice episode’ where homer chases uter with a wet towel calling him ‘butterball’

I’ve got loads of original production pencil drawings in a folder that admittedly I’ve not looked at for years!

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Haha that scene was funny! Love lots of the older ones (pre-season 6 really, but plenty of good ones up to around season 11 or so. After that I've not really watched many!)

Car's gonna look very nice with that little lot on there :cool:

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Must admit I’ve not really watched any of the recent series, seemed to go off the boil a bit after the mid 2000s, still enjoy the odd episode though as there are plenty I’ve not seen now

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Quick question about the textured paint, should I spray it on then laquer the whole skirt, or laquer the skirt as it is now then spray the textured paint over the laquer as I don’t want the black to be shiny/glossy?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I’d lacquer the skirt now, then give the black section a key again with a light scotch pad or similar. Then give it a couple coats of black. Depending on what you’re using, it will be a bit shiny but will dull down quickly if not lacquered. Or use Matt lacquer over the black to protect it

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
I was thinking of laquering the lot and rubbing down the bit that need to be black but I’m a bit bothered about the textured paint reacting with the laquer (as I’ve had happen on model railway repaints where different paints and thinners have reacted and caused egg shelling)

·
Registered
727 Posts
It should all be fine. As long as the black area is rubbed down. Or just mask that area off, then lacquer the main skirt, and give the black area a key again before painting black.

what paint is the black you’re using?

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Not thought about it yet but probaly something from Halfords again but they are out of stock of it in my local one at the moment

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I’d lacquer the skirt now, then give the black section a key again with a light scotch pad or similar. Then give it a couple coats of black. Depending on what you’re using, it will be a bit shiny but will dull down quickly if not lacquered. Or use Matt lacquer over the black to protect it
As above.

I had to respray some lacquer on my aero skirts (it had peeled at one end). I did this and then keyed the bits to be black and sprayed the textured paint on, which didn't need lacquer.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It should all be fine. As long as the black area is rubbed down. Or just mask that area off, then lacquer the main skirt, and give the black area a key again before painting black.

what paint is the black you’re using?
I used K2 textured bumper paint. Easy to use and hasn't flaked off or chipped. You can buy it on eBay. I bought two cans but only really needed one.

K2 Structure Black Bumper TEXTURED SPRAY Paint Restore Plastic FAST DRYING 400ml 5906534007797 | eBay

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Finally finished the skirts, been away in work all week so only managed to get them done today, the longer the better drying though I suppose!

got some masking film off Amazon which was absolutely brilliant and so easy to use

Only one little bleed in the corner but I can touch that up with the touch up pen I have

One question though, when I take the old sills off how can I get the metal kick plates off without damaging them so I can reuse them on these skirts?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Finally finished the skirts, been away in work all week so only managed to get them done today, the longer the better drying though I suppose!

got some masking film off Amazon which was absolutely brilliant and so easy to use

Only one little bleed in the corner but I can touch that up with the touch up pen I have

One question though, when I take the old sills off how can I get the metal kick plates off without damaging them so I can reuse them on these skirts?
Re the kick plates. I presume they’re stuck on with adhesive? If so, a heat gun should work to soften the glue and allow you to carefully lift them with a plastic tool to prevent damaging the plates
Unless they’re clipped on, then it should be even easier

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Re the kick plates. I presume they’re stuck on with adhesive? If so, a heat gun should work to soften the glue and allow you to carefully lift them with a plastic tool to prevent damaging the plates
Unless they’re clipped on, then it should be even easier
good thinking with the heat gun, I’ll give that a try as they are just stuck down

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
Id already lacquered it before I sprayed the black, after I masked it off then rubbed down the bits where the black paint was going to key it in, I’m not going to lacquer the black though

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Decided to take the car to work today, not been out for a drive in it for a few months and not properly since I’ve put the janspeed cat on, it’s certainly a bit more drony on the motorway at 70mph than the tomcat, but not too bad, just turned the stereo up a bit!

Booked in for an MOT next Wednesday, the only thing I can see being a problem is the brake wear sensor light which is the wire rather than the sensor, I wanted to get it to carsorbikes before the mot but as I’m off next week it was the only day I could get it in for the mot so I’ll have to see if they can clear it before the test, they switched the airbag light off for me this morning while I was there booking it in but didn’t do the airbag, if not it’s sticker on the dashboard time for the test!

if I get a chance next week (or even Sunday) I may change the side skirts

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Failed its MOT on emissions, they ran it for ages to get it hot, revved the balls off it but nothing could get it though, they have suggested putting 99 Ron in it (it’s got a bit of 95 in at the mo as that’s all the petrol station had last time I filled it)

also got advisories for a leaky power steering pump and rear arm bush or something, will have to see tomorrow when I pick it up

281 - 300 of 336 Posts