MiniTorque.com banner
221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
That’s certainly something to consider, under accelleration say changing gear down to 5th to overtake at 60-70 on the motorway just after the cluch came up and with my foot down it was noticeable and the accelleration felt ‘restricted’

I think it’s a job for carsorbikes to look at either way as something isn’t right somewhere and Im sure it had a new standard clutch fitted just before I got it

·
Bugger
25,426 Posts
Check the front map sensor and coil pack as well.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
The coil pack is a new MSD? one with magnecor leads

what’s the map sensor?

the only other variable that has changed since the 1320 remap is I’ve changed the k&n panel filter for a 57i in a Dave F type airbox but I can’t see that effecting the air intake that much to make it feel restricted, i may take the cone filter out and give it a proper clean and re-oil as I didn’t do that when I fitted it as it looked clean enough (2nd hand part)

·
Bugger
25,426 Posts
MSD coil packs are worse than standard ones, they have been known to be a bit hit and miss. The map sensor is the small black box on the intake manifold with two small screws holding it in, its a well known cause of a Cooper S running less than well, new one is about £40 and easy to swap.

My head still says you'r crank damper is the cause.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There are 2 MAP sensors, the second is near the water thermostat beside the head near the gear linkage. The grey pipe connected to the supercharger air intake runs to it, mine was broken at the sensor end, since being fixed (with a piece of rubber pipe) the car has run much more smoothly.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Not much progress with the red car this month, barely used it, been using the diesel instead, come out in it tonight as I was going to cycle to work but it’s absolutely lashing it down so I thought I’d keep dry!

Having problems with the lock I replaced on the drivers side every so often, it feels like the boden cable is loose so it won’t open front when inside but when I put the window down and try and open it from the outside that does nothing either, if I out the key in the outside lock and lock it rhen unlock again you can feel a click in the the last 1/4 turn and the door will then open from both the handle and inside, very strange!

It’s not a biggie to get the door card back off as I’ve still got to refit the door pin anyway so it’s in my list of things to do, just a pain when I’ve got to get out of the car dukes of hazzard style

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Popped over to carsorbikes today as something didn’t feel right in the car after I used it for work last night, anyway nothing untoward on the diagnostics but the exhaust was blowing so while it was there Sean changed the centre pipe on the exhaust for the one I got from alski

The exhaust was actually blowing from the rear joint as the gasket had gone at the top so we took the opportunity to do the centre pipe while it was in pieces, fresh OEM metal gaskets fitted in place of the knackered ones and it doesn’t blow any more, there was a bit of a rattle from the replacement centre resonated pipe when we first fired it up from cold, but it didn’t do it on the drive home so I’ll have to monitor that over time

While Sean was doing the exhaust I took the time to refit the door pin to the drivers side and cure a couple of rattles I was getting from inside the door

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
I don’t think I’ve put a pic of the roof rack I got off greasemonkey up, had to quickly chuck it on earlier to go and collect an E-bike as the white car with its permanently fitted rack and carrier is u/s until a replacement vacuum pipe arrives in the week

nice to take the red car out for a change, popped over to chester in it, went ok, revs are a bit lumpy though at times

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 · (Edited)
Not a happy bunny today, my wife has used the car for a couple of days and when I’ve got back from work I noticed a flat tyre, one of those things I suppose but the outside has been marked so when questioned it turned out she’s driven a fair few miles on it, tried to pump it up to at least get it to a garage at some point but no, not taking any air at all so that’s a new tyre needed
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

however I then noticed she’s also scraped the alloy on the drivers side….
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

i asked her how she did it and I got the usual excuse of ‘I’m used to my 4x4 so drive up the kerb to get close to it when I’m parking

I’m not quite sure how she was trying to park but after that I looked at the driver side front and she’s made a right mess of that one too!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

juat for completeness as I type this I’m sat on the front wall looking over to the R56 and looking at her handywork on that car too
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

anyone know a good divorce lawyer!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Well the replacement tyre finally turned up today 10 days after posting thanks to Hermes!

Just as well I didn’t need the car, to be honest neither cars have moved for almost a fortnight

Automotive tire Tread Wood Road surface Rim

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
The car is back on 4 wheels again, been sat on an axle stand for a week having not moved for a good month before that, the Touareg failed its MOT so my wife needs the diesel mini as the garage doing the work is a couple of mechanics down so I’ve told em not to rush doing it so I need to use this one

I’m working away all week so need to carry a suitcase to my hotel, I managed a few days working away with a backpack full of gear on my bike last week but I need to be a bit more organised this week so am taking the car (with the bike on the roof of course)

checked the oil and water etc but then had a look at the more important speakers, I’d swapped the front one earlier in the year for some bigger bassier speakers which I had to pack out a bit as they just caught the window glass when it was dropped however it also meant that the door panel didn’t quite fit flush, I’d been meaning to swap them for months but again didn’t have the motivation to do so as the car isn’t used however I’ve got a bit of a drive later so finally decided to sort it

this was the original set up with the foam spacer ring
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

As you can see the magnet is quite a lot bigger than the replacement speaker
Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

And the new speaker in place, it’s a full range one as opposed to a woofer only

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

finally it was on with the roof rack ready for the bike, I’m going to give the ‘wheel off’ rack a try this week
Car Tire Automotive carrying rack Vehicle Wheel

so that’s it, ready to roll, staying near longbridge, Birmingham this week so may go about for a bit of a drive in it at some point, find somewhere to go with my bike for a few hours

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
I must admit I’d fallen out of love with this car over the last 6 months with having the diesel and using the bike a lot (1300 miles in 4 months) but today I took it out for a drive as the bike has a problem so I’ve had to drop it off at Halfords in reddich which is the nearest one to my hotel for a repair and find something to do for the day

I Had a drive over to the cotswolds via evesham and went down to Broadway (as seen in forza 4) then went to Broadway tower up fish hill which was an absolute blast in the mini, then over to bourton on the water to have a look at the model shop and back along the fosse way to warwick and back up the M40 to the hotel

For the first time in a while I’ve actually enjoyed driving the car, felt tight for the whole trip, drove well, pulled well, sounded good and handled well, I’d forgotten how much fun it is and how good it looks too, I think being forced to use it then going out just for fun has renewed my interest in it, that and sorting the speakers out etc, also being 6 Stone lighter than the start of the year the seats feel a lot comfier now too!

The only issue it did have today was a creaky spring when turning the wheel left at slow speeds but to be honest I’ve got to have the tracking done anyway but before that carsorbikes needs to fit my adjustable top mounts and adjust the shock rate to stiffen them up a bit as it still wallows a bit over bumps

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Most expensive milk bottle……..in the world!

Another blast across the cotswolds today, Cheltenham, diddly squat farm, chipping Norton, Evesham, and back to the hotel

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Tire Dog Wheel Car Toy
Very important mod today, found in a charity shop in Bromsgrove for £2!

221 - 239 of 239 Posts