MiniTorque.com banner
201 - 220 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Long live the memory of Mr Trebus, his piles of junk and the never ending line of developers who thought they could get him out of his property cheaply.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Long live the memory of Mr Trebus, his plies of junk and the never ending line of developers who thought they could get him out of his property cheaply.
The old man knew everything in his house and yard were of value....though his numbers were slightly inflated.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 · (Edited)
My wife during lockdown did a ‘freebie wall’ basically helped out local people who needed items such as clothing, household stuff even food parcels, she put it all out in the front garden and people could just come and take stuff free of charge, basically a free car boot sale, I used to call her Mr Trebus as the front yard resembled his yard except she used to bring it all in every night!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
got to the car yesterday morning only to discover the central locking wasnt working, opened it with the key though and cancelled the alarm, set off from the slightly sloping drive where the car had been sat for a couple of days only to have water pour out from the rear view mirror!

having spoke to sean he tells me the reciever for the key transponder is located in the mirror which would explain why the locks wouldnt work from the key, i took the mirror off its mount only to find the electrical connection to the loom was waterlogged

had a look outside and noticed the rubber seal wasnt sitting properly against the roof allowing water to seep under it, last night we had rainfall of biblical proportions in the space of 10 minutes, as you may know back in march the car had a new windscreen fitted which i think has caused the current problem, last month i had terrible wind noise from the trim on the windscreen pillar caused by what looks like a loose trim due to broken clips, i managed to stop that but i think the screen hasnt been fitted correctly or the seals havent been refitted right, either way the central locking is goosed thanks to it, ill be calling auto windscreens first thing in the morning to register a complaint as ive had no issue until the new screen was fitted

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
It’s going back to auto windscreens on Friday to be sorted, the central locking has started working again today so that’s something!

Got in it this morning and after a downpour last night it’s even worse than yesterday

the headlining is soaked now too, I’ve turned the car around as I don’t need it this week and if we have another downpour at least it won’t run toward the dodgy seal

·
Registered
2005 R53
145 Posts
might be worth putting some tape across it to prevent further ingress - you can get some good clear stuff that's designed for going over cracked lights etc. that won't damage the paintwork. I had some fixing a rattle on my scuttle vent for over a year and it came off without a mark.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
They have acknowledged the complaint and said they would sort it on Friday, will have to see how they get on

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
It better had, weirdly despite all that water I found this morning the central locking started working again!

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
841 Posts
One reason I was always paranoid about getting a windscreen done on one of these.

You'd think most of the bigger glass fitting places would have figured this out by now but still they seem to be fucking them up all these years on 😩

TBF pretty much every time Ive had a windscreen done in recent years its not gone right........I had one done on an Octavia vRS Blackline I owned new years ago, was annoying as the car was only a couple of months old at the time.

The lad that did it scratched the paint with the blades they use to remove the old screen/sealant and I recall when the screen went in it was somewhat off centre. Fucking annoyed me it did.

Im betting they didnt apply the sealant properly along the top of the screen as by all accounts if they did, even if the external seals werent in place it wouldnt (or shouldnt) let by as these things dont completely prevent ingress (rather prevent it).

Sure once refitted Jimbo be all fine, but if it has borked the headlining or anything else more permanently push for some form of compo I would 👍👍

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Well they took the screen back out and refitted it so I’ll have to see how I get on, the seal looks a lot better now agains the roofline, the tech was saying that behind the A pillars there should be a foam pad but they were missing both sides so he has refitted some strips in there, the lack of them was probably causing the wind noise I was getting at speed, also said some of the clips on the beltline are missing which would suggest it’s had a replacement screen in its history, never really noticed if the old one had BMW logos on it though

the rain today will certainly test it’s water tightness!

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Not much progress to repot in the R53,given it a good wash today for the first time in months!

It sounds like the exhaust is blowing again so I need to get the replacement centre pipe fitted soon as it’s also rattling a bit every so often

I was thinking about getting the door cards off later to fix the door pin on one side as i had to leave it off as the little green clip that holds the bar into the lock unit snapped, I’ve had a replacement here for 2 months but not had the chance (or will) to do it

the other door card needs to come off to swap the speaker grille and remove the foam speaker ring I put behind the card that’s not actually needed

got the Thule roof rack for it from greasemonkey that I’m going to use for my bike like on the R56, it won’t be staying on permanently like the diesel as I’m most likely to use the other car with it but at least I have the option to use this car to go further afield should I want to go out cycling

other than that at some point carsorbikes can have it to do the exhaust centre pipe swap, for the adjustable top mounts, replace the brake disc back plate, maybe adjust the suspension damping then I can get it over to Buckley tyres for tracking

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Took it to work last night instead of the diesel as I’ve not been out in it much, remembered why I like it so much after the 100 odd mile round trip but something doesn’t feel right with it, I’m not entirely convinced the clutch isn’t slipping or engaging properly a bit as I’ve suspected in the past and it seems a bit reluctant at times to pull away, the revs seem to build up then slowly drop back before it ‘bites’ strongly

in other news I got the roof rack and bike carrier on it earlier, it won’t be staying on like the R56 as it’s easier to remove, simply clamps to the guttering, I’m just waiting on a cam lock for the back plate of the bike rack to arrive

·
Bugger
25,426 Posts
I would say thats more likely to be the crank damper than the clutch based of my exp with my three R53's. The clutch would tend to slip at higher loads, the crank damper going can feel like its surging or bogging down and the worse it gets the more it will feel 'off' as you drive it.

201 - 220 of 239 Posts