MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, can I pick your brains please?

Would these fit my r53 s?

Or has anyone run these?

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
The Budwegs will 100% fit, I’ve recently fit a set to mine. They are a copy of the R56 JCW Brembo set up.

You’ll need R56 front hoses as the R53 ones have a different connection, along with discs and pads.

Dependant on which wheels you have you’ll need to change them too otherwise they will foul the caliper due to not having enough space inside the rim.

Generally 17” minimum but there are only a handful of OEM wheels that will fit. R112s definitely do. Crowns and Bullets will not.

There are some aftermarket 16’s that may fit though but spacers may be required, and can even be required on some 17” wheel designs.

You’ll notice a huge improvement to braking bite and power.

The kit also came with larger rears (280mm) which I’ll be fitting in the future when I upgrade my trailing arms although not a requirement.

I can’t comment on the other brakes but you can run into similar wheel problems although some aftermarket BBKs have slimmer calipers.

If you don’t want to change wheels then the R53 JCW set up which is the same as the R56 Cooper S (don’t pay a premium for the R53 JCW, have seen hideous prices out there similar to BBK prices) offers improved braking results over standard and at significantly less cost.
Plenty of people use them both on dailies and track cars and also comes with the option of running smaller wheels with no fuss.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They all look amazing thanks for your imput.... my options are a r56s set up or these.....
The cars gonna be a weekend track toy so we will see.
i have 17” bullets i think you call them but they may get swapped for some light weights when some come up cheap.
if i run the bullets i will need some spacers then wont i?

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
With the bullets and crown it’s more the inner circumference of the wheel I believe due to the design.

These OEM wheels will fit:

Link to the wheel section from the above site, very handy:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know about those two sets, but if the Budwegs are a 100% copy of my R56 JCW BBK, they should also fit with Crown wheels, as those are my winter set.

I do have experience with the R56S brakes, but those were very prone to fading. I've tracked the car on Circuit Zolder a couple of times and fading would start within 2-3 laps. 20-25 minutes in the session without cooldown laps resulted in a soft brake pedal that got all the way to the floor. Not something you want. I even got fading on spirited drives in the German Eifel. Setup: R56S calipers, 294 mm Brembo perforated and grooved discs, Carbotech XP10 pads, Motul RBF600 fluid (renewed before each trackday), Goodridge braided brake hoses and OZ Ultraleggeras to keep the unsprung weight down and get more air flow.

So I switched to the R56 JCW Brembo kit last winter which felt like heaven on the first spirited drive So far I've done about 2,5 hours on Spa and 3 hours on Mettet (unfortunately no Zolder this year) and that setup keeps it together all day long. Pedal becomes a little soft, but only till about half way and it stays there for the remainder of the session.

Does any of you have experience with the Budwegs on track? I very curious. I didn't dare to fit copies of the JCW Brembo kit

Cheers!
Kevin

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC U11 met Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Hi Kevin,

What did you have to do to get them to fit? I couldn't get the crown wheel over them at all.

Budweg are a very large brake brand so no issues with using their copy of the Brembo items.

I used them on track at Brands hatch Indy in October, had no problems with them at all, kept performing extremely well all day, was probably 2 hours worth of action throughout the day (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Fro-dizzle,

I did absoluty nothing to get them to fit, they just did. There was only about 2 mm of clearance between the caliper and the wheel, but that's enough I would say. Don't have those wheels on the car atm, so I can't take pictures. The one included is the best I have.

I know Budweg is a big brand, but that does not necessarily mean they're good at making performance brakes that are tracked. But good to hear that those Budweg's perform well

Cheers!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC U11 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That's not tight, I had to grind the AP embossed into the calipers I fitted to my previous e36 just to enable the wheels to turn!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you don't want to spend as much as the Budweg calipers then the R56 Cooper S set up is a good upgrade too. Not as good but still way better than the original brakes.

Pays your money and makes your choice.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Absolutely can space them out, i was under the impression the inner circumference wasn’t large enough but doesn’t appear to be the case.

Might be worth searching the web to see if people have them under bullets then you know you should be golden 👍🏽

1 - 16 of 16 Posts