MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...

I'm seriously thinking of changing my BMC CDA CAI... :closedeyes:

Not that im unhappy with it... its really great, in my opinion it's the best CAI for Mini One\Cooper.

The problem is that when i pop the hood, anyone(and i mean police), suspects that i have a tuned car and they would send me right to a special MOT where they check for more mods(and i will be in serious troubles)...

Are there any discrete Cai's? Gruppe M is nice.. but is too much for me !!!

I had the original airbox with the kn panel and i liked it.. trouble is... i haven't got it any more...

Thought about look for a JCW sound kit... but i cant find anyone that has it....

Any solutions :blush: ?

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
JCW sound kit would be what I'd install, you can get them from the dealers, try PM'ing Rybrook for a price using the discount.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
I think minimania do something. it replaces the airbox lid and cold air feed with smooth versions. I think the lid has a smooth underside and the air feed is also internally smooth and made from metal straight to the airbox so I think you need to remove the intake resonator near the underside of the car.

But as Ben suggested, I think the JCW soundkit airbox is the best option.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Im a bit confused with the R50 airbox layout, I keep seeing listings for "Small Airbox", are there 2 on the R50 with 1 acting like a baffle for silencing or is it just the one you see when you open the bonnet??

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you open the bonnet, you just see one airbox.

However there's one extra box(you cant see it with when you open the bonnetc) that's used the keep the sound down..(i removed mine)

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
is it just a case of removing it or do you need to start blocking up holes and re-routing feeds etc..

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Im a bit confused with the R50 airbox layout, I keep seeing listings for "Small Airbox", are there 2 on the R50 with 1 acting like a baffle for silencing or is it just the one you see when you open the bonnet??
Uh oh ^^ he's taking an interest, the One/Cooper CAI market could soon be turned upside its head :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Im going to 1320 on the 26th April, hopefully they will have an R50 there I can have a look at and see.
All the kits Ive seen so far use a square panel filter, these flow better than paper but still only have about 60% of the surface area that a cone filter would have.

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Im going to 1320 on the 26th April, hopefully they will have an R50 there I can have a look at and see.
All the kits Ive seen so far use a square panel filter, these flow better than paper but still only have about 60% of the surface area that a cone filter would have.
Less chatting more fabricating :lol:

They've got a couple of Coopers there so it would be awesome to see what you could come up with using the stock airbox... :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So these are the stock system parts (theres one slight change on the airbox in later models if i'm not wrong... but this one is my model.. so i don't care :lol::lol:

I was looking for a very good post on NAM but i can't find it..

For now check the parts!

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Fookin Hell the bottom half portion (near the number 10) is tiny I might have to use a chainsaw filter for that. LOL

It doesn't look very promising mate TBH.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
I've blocked my intake resonator holes with a couple of shuttlecock heads :D

The One/Cooper airbox is a pretty awful design, theres barely any air space inside to suck air through due to the section they've had to remove to clear the gearbox mount. I cone filter placed inside an airbox like on the R53 would be a good idea, but there is bugger all space for something like it :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd be interested if you do manage to sort something out.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts