Over a year since I've updated this, so I wanted to get this going again because I think it'll be a useful place to log the progress on the car.
I had the roof skin changed to non-sunroof which dropped a load of weight, with the intention of carrying that theme on. I fitted a Wavetrac LSD, Cup 2's and a new ARB the the chassis was near on perfect for what I wanted. The new TurboSystems turbo got fitted along with methanol injection and the car was insane.
Something very unfortunate then happened to the car, which lead me to break the car. I'd been toying with replacing the car for a number of months and this time I pulled the plug on the thing. Some know what happened, others have their theories. I'll hopefully go into more detail of that when the time is right as it's a pretty poor thing to happen.
I bought an M235i in May and proceeded to build & track it over the Summer, however it's now sat stock and for sale. It's not the car to be made into a track tool, very flawed in a number of areas and not something I wish to carry on with to 'rectify' the problems on a £17k car.
So here we are; back to an R56 (the same R56). Quite a different approach this time given the knowledge gained over the years of MINI ownership.
Number one priority is weight (lack of). The shell has been stripped back, de-seam sealed, sound deadening removed and all brackets, tabs, studs cut off. Currently prepping for the Safety Devices R56 MSA roll cage I've got to be welded in, meaning the interior can then be painted and all buttoned up.
Hope to have the car ready for some testing in Spring.
Picked up a Safety Devices MSA cage for the car. Have test fit in the car and super impressed with the fit and finish of it. It requires a lot of modification to the shell in terms of removing brackets that hold interior trim which is no big deal in my case. The MSA certification will probably come in handy down the line too.
Just awaiting the welding inside the shell now, then the interior can be painted and cage can be fitted.
Thought it might be worth posting this here for others to see.
Last March I broke the car for parts, and never really put out the real reason....
I had one of my PEC rods fail which ruined the whole built engine. I’ve had them tested to prove they were at fault due to the poor construction on them. I’d highly recommend avoiding them in the future, I’m not the only person it’s happened to.