MiniTorque.com banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Like what you've done with the car and think you've made a great choice in keeping it!

I've had a couple of E46 330's (granted not M3 league) and a 350z (again not quite 370z) but the weight is extremely noticeable and i didn't find them anywhere near as agile or chuckable as my previous Mini hence why i bought another when it was time for me to have a fun car again.

Looks to be enjoying the stick you're giving it too and has been very reliable!

Looking forward to see how you get on this time round with the new upgrades.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I've had a couple of E46 330s too (both auto Sport coupes), and they were actually pretty dull to drive at pace. Too much understeer, too heavy and uncommunicative.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Saturday was a LONG day. 4.5hrs spent driving from South London to the Wirral, thanks to an accident on the M40. As ever, the Mini made great economy on the motorway. Cruising at 75-80 saw me manage 220 miles on less than half a tank! The train back to London was quite surreal, but at least it was quiet so I could get some work done...

On the subject of cruising, @CarsOrBikes has agreed to explore the idea of retrofitting cruise with my aftermarket wheel. I spotted this on a US website, where they had mounted the steering wheel controls into the dashboard. A nice chap on FB has posted a set of buttons to me, and hopefully the other lot should be easy enough to fit. How exciting!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bet you'll be using more than half a tank on the way back enjoying the new set up.

Cruise set up is a good idea, and will be very handy when you go back to the Ring.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
I modified my cruise control to fit my Momo wheel. Worked perfect and looked like 2 NOz buttons. You only need to buttons imo - cancel and either increase or decrease speed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I modified my cruise control to fit my Momo wheel. Worked perfect and looked like 2 NOz buttons. You only need to buttons imo - cancel and either increase or decrease speed.
You have a photo?

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Il have a look.
It was two maplin push switches coming off a bracket that was sandwiched between the wheel and the boss.
Could be done smarter but it worked and that was my main priority.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Scrap my last response, brains working now 😋
I'm not the expert (far from it, in fact), but I reckon it should be even easier without having to go through all the aggro of making it work with the slipring etc.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Now cruise is an interesting one... I'll be watching with interest (especially if its cheap :ROFLMAO: ). Sorry couldnt stop and say hi on sat, was already in the dog house for being back seeing Sean and 3 hours later home than I had said :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Now cruise is an interesting one... I'll be watching with interest (especially if its cheap :ROFLMAO: ).
I suspect there will be a LOT of interest in this, judging by the response on the R53OC on Facebook.

Either @CarsOrBikes or I (depending on who has most time - a no-score draw, probably) will do a little write-up when it's done.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
517 Posts
I'm guessing alot of the hardware for it is already there, a case of wiring in the switch and coding it in?

Nearly did this to a Vaxhall Astra H I had a few years ago....one of those weird ones where it was quite a high spec car with a trip computer module...just wasnt coded to be a trip computer. Couple of clicks on the dealer diagnostic machine and it was done. The cruise was as simple as coding and installing the correct indicator stalk (with the buttons) I gather as all the clutch/brake deactivation hardware was in place already but it was our A to B car so never bothered.

Cruise is a very personal thing, have to say I hardly ever use it....find speed limiter more useful TBH. Did have Adaptive Cruise on a couple of Golfs a few years ago and quite liked that....Emergency braking not so much tho 🤣

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I'm guessing alot of the hardware for it is already there, a case of wiring in the switch and coding it in?
I'll wait for @CarsOrBikes to write it up, but I believe it's a case of needing buttons, a spot of wiring and a clutch switch. Not huge, but beyond my skills.

By way of an update, I'm going to take up the generous offer of a Newman PH1/2 on a trial, with a view to going for the cam/manifold/map/injectors setup later in the year. Scope creep is so easy sometimes. :D

141 - 160 of 178 Posts