MiniTorque.com banner
281 - 294 of 294 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
the alternator hasn't likely caused the belt throw, it'll be the idler if it had lateral play most likely helping the belt climb up the pulley and the belt if too long having a bit less tension and not really objecting to being helped off the edge of the pulley/s, as for the crank damper not fitted right that isn't easy to get wrong as it won't reach torque if not fully home? Anyway it sounds like a few things should help and hopefully the 500 run goes as planned (y)

Steve is or was on here, I think some years ago straight in with selling a car or two without so much as an introduction or any participation, and got the usual MT flack iirc off some members, possibly seen more on M2?

Reactions: DRP

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
It's funny how small things make you quite excited. I studied engineering at University back in the early 00s, and our 3D Printing lab was like Fort Knox because the machine cost about a million quid, and the risk of damage or wasted filament was too great to allow plebs like me access to it.

Skip forward 20 years and Roadie Designs has knocked up an insert prototype for the Coolerworx cupholder inside a couple of days (based on some pretty average photos), and chucked it in the post to me. Looking forward to test-fitting and sharing feedback once I pick the car up on Saturday!

Wood Finger Thumb Household hardware Hardwood

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
If anyone was interested in the 3-day routes for the NC500 (or at least, most of it), starting and ending in Glasgow, here's what we're looking at:

Day 1: Get from Glasgow up to the Highlands, via some cool roads. Motel One to Lochcarron Hotel
Day 2: Early start to do Applecross at dawn, then absolute monster drive on Scotland's best roads, ending up around John O'Groats. Lochcarron Hotel to Norseman Hotel
Day 3: Finish off the Northern part, and head back to Glasgow via the Cairngorms. Norseman Hotel to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central

The seasoned NC500-ers amongst you will notice that we've skipped the bottom part of the loop, missing out the fabulous roads around Achnasheen. Sadly it was too big an ask for two massive days of driving back-to-back, and we're fortunate to have done that road the last time we visited the lower portion of the NC500.

Being based in London, and only being able to find 5 days to do the whole trip meant that we were forced to make some concessions, and this was one of them. Either way, I can't imagine three better days of driving! I'm just glad we've booked a nice hotel with a spa for the final night in Glasgow - my poor arse is going to need some TLC after that drive.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
There's one thing I need a bit of advice on for the Scotland trip, and that's Octane Boosters.

There's a real risk that I'll only be able to get 95RON at some point on the trip, and my car is now mapped on 97RON. Presumably I can just buy any old stuff and keep it in the boot 'just in case'? Or are there better/worse products?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
If anyone was interested in the 3-day routes for the NC500 (or at least, most of it), starting and ending in Glasgow, here's what we're looking at:

Day 1: Get from Glasgow up to the Highlands, via some cool roads. Motel One to Lochcarron Hotel
Day 2: Early start to do Applecross at dawn, then absolute monster drive on Scotland's best roads, ending up around John O'Groats. Lochcarron Hotel to Norseman Hotel
Day 3: Finish off the Northern part, and head back to Glasgow via the Cairngorms. Norseman Hotel to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central

The seasoned NC500-ers amongst you will notice that we've skipped the bottom part of the loop, missing out the fabulous roads around Achnasheen. Sadly it was too big an ask for two massive days of driving back-to-back, and we're fortunate to have done that road the last time we visited the lower portion of the NC500.

Being based in London, and only being able to find 5 days to do the whole trip meant that we were forced to make some concessions, and this was one of them. Either way, I can't imagine three better days of driving! I'm just glad we've booked a nice hotel with a spa for the final night in Glasgow - my poor arse is going to need some TLC after that drive.
That looks awesome, thanks for sharing. Got a couple of big driving slogs there but I'm sure it will be a breeze given the roads/scenery. (Aside from perhaps the comfort perspective as you have mentioned!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've just done a fair bit of driving around Scotland in my T5 and the thought of doing it in my R53 would depress me lol. Good luck!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
That looks awesome, thanks for sharing. Got a couple of big driving slogs there but I'm sure it will be a breeze given the roads/scenery. (Aside from perhaps the comfort perspective as you have mentioned!)
We're going as a group of friends in 8 cars (including a 700bhp GTR, a 400bhp Golf R and other such nice metal), so I'm really looking forward to a trip away with some of my best mates as much as anything else. This was supposed to have happened in May last year, so we've been waiting a while!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
I've just done a fair bit of driving around Scotland in my T5 and the thought of doing it in my R53 would depress me lol. Good luck!
I've done a fair chunk of the NC500 in my old BMW 330, and it felt a bit too soft and soggy to really get the most out of some of the better roads. Having said that, it's such a comfortable car to do all the boring bits in-between. It and the Mini are chalk and cheese in many respects.

Cloud Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Sky Car

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Suppose I should update on the Mini as I'm here and posting. Well, it's back.

Tire Wheel Car Sky Land vehicle

A few reflections/observations:
  • The DS2500s are sooo much easier to deal with on the road. Sharp bite from cold, zero squeal. So pleased I swapped them in.
  • It pulls much harder than I remember. A few 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the way back into London saw very illegal speeds appear quite quickly. Which is nice.
  • It's absolutely filthy inside and out. Like, properly festering. Needs sorting before Scotland.
  • At some point in the past couple of months the electric wingmirrors and cigarette lighter have stopped working. Hopefully nothing more than a couple of fuses needed.

Overall, two steps forward. Which is a nice change.

281 - 294 of 294 Posts