MiniTorque.com banner
241 - 260 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Weirdly, I don't resent spending cash on the car. It's had everything it's needed, whenever it was needed. Until recently, it's been utterly reliable as a result.

I just find it frustrating that I've had a string of issues, and have pondered whether there might be some sort of root cause that I'm missing.

I just want it fixed, so that I can go out and thrash the pants off it without worrying. I'm a simple guy of simple pleasures. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Sorry to hear about the house falling through and not getting the 2nd one. Very similar happened to us earlier in the year, took it as a sign and are going to stay put for now. Although don't blame you for wanting to be out of London and have some more space!

Car sounds like it's having some rotten form lately but I'm sure things will play out and it will be back to it's best taking those hammerings that it has done previously! Hats off to you for keeping it, a lot of people would just try to flog it, testament to you and clearly shows how much you like the car which is good.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
There are some fantastic roads in the speyside area. Although the Volvo had great whisky carrying ability revisiting then in something sportier would make for a great road trip experience 👍😀

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
There are some fantastic roads in the speyside area. Although the Volvo had great whisky carrying ability revisiting then in something sportier would make for a great road trip experience 👍😀
Even though it's not the same part of the country, it's a damned good job I have the NC500 to look forward to in October!

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Even though it's not the same part of the country, it's a damned good job I have the NC500 to look forward to in October!
We usually sack the east coast off and come back through speyside. We head south from Thurso to Tonge, Lairg, Inverness, grantown and Arberlour. Then we also get to enjoy the Cairngorms the next day 👍😎

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Well, it's looking like I need to find another mechanic. Scott at Autotech seems to have gone AWOL - I suspect life is getting in the way of fixing Minis (which was always a 'side' job for him).

Open to any suggestions within easy reach of SW London...

·
Hobo Member
491 Posts
Sorry to hear that, it’s always unfortunate when the place you’ve used cannot cope with the amount of work

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Sorry to hear that, it’s always unfortunate when the place you’ve used cannot cope with the amount of work
It was a risk I went in being very clear of. Scott's a great bloke, but he has a day job after all.

I was recommended S Works in Tonbridge by someone in a Mini Facebook group. Spoke to Steve there this afternoon, and he seemed like he really knew his stuff. Hoping to give him the car next week.

Going to drop the DS2500 pads back in while it's there. The squeal of the Carbotechs will drive me absolutely nuts on the drive to and from Scotland.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
One step forward, and two steps back. Ever it was thus.

Put the jump pack on it this morning, and fired it up ready to take to Steve in Tonbridge. It started first time, and sounded relatively good. So, I set off, got to the end of my street, and the f**king belt gave up and did its best Houdini impression.

I'm starting to despair with this car a little, but I've resolved to get it properly sorted to give myself the best chance to fall back in love with it again. Hard to feel like I'm not throwing good money after bad, unfortunately. Frustratingly, the problem can only be one of so many things, so hopefully it's easy to diagnose for someone who can give it the time and attention it needs.

As soon as Steve has fixed whatever underlying issue is causing this, it's going to get properly valeted (not detailed!), including wet-vac on the seats and carpets, and I'm going to get the MG Straights refurbed.

If that doesn't do the trick, or if it lets me down in Scotland, it's probably curtains for Mini ownership for me.

This episode has reminded me of one thing - you can't expect to run an older, modified car like this and just pick it up and use it whenever you want.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
maybe the alternator is binding up or failing but it shouldn't be throwing belts, tearing them apart maybe,

are you sure this place is up to sorting it?

surely you're better just going to 1320, if I'm too far, take it to somewhere that works on quick stuff that will likely resolve it, for the difference in distance down there etc, I know where I'd rather be 100% ;O)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
maybe the alternator is binding up or failing but it shouldn't be throwing belts, tearing them apart maybe,

are you sure this place is up to sorting it?
Curiously, this was the same suggestion the chap I'm taking it to made when I called him to apologise this morning. I guess it can only be one of so many things, right?

This is the guy who was recommended to me. Apparently only works on R50/R53s, and maintains a few modified/track cars in the area. Given that he comes well-recommended and is only an hour or so away, that's wholly preferable to the 2.5hrs to 1320. Maybe I'll regret it, but I'd be disappointed if I didn't at least try it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 · (Edited)
Got a decent quote from a shipping company with a flatbed to take it down to Tonbridge on Tuesday morning. Let's see how much fuss we can create putting it on the back of the truck.

I'm thinking I should be fairly safe to run it for 30secs or so without the belt on from cold, given that the biggest issue is the waterpump.

·
Registered
2005 R53
144 Posts
I drove mine from the Snetterton pit garages to the service station with no belt (that's probably not recommended though), I'm sure manoeuvring onto a truck will be fine - hardest bit is the lack of power steering, they're really stiff without it!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
I drove mine from the Snetterton pit garages to the service station with no belt (that's probably not recommended though), I'm sure manoeuvring onto a truck will be fine - hardest bit is the lack of power steering, they're really stiff without it!
Bugger. I hadn't even considered that. Getting it out of a tight space on the road is going to be fun...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Is your idle pulley OK? Is it fitted in the correct place? If I remember correctly, there are two bolt holes, another one for the non supercharged engine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Is your idle pulley OK? Is it fitted in the correct place? If I remember correctly, there are two bolt holes, another one for the non supercharged engine.
No idea at the moment. I haven't had time to do anything more than open the bonnet and slam it in disappointment.

241 - 260 of 294 Posts