MiniTorque.com banner

221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Ah Avon Rise and Quarry. Brilliant corners those.
Absolutely.

As I was finding my limits (and pushing my luck), I felt the back end slip out to the right as I went over the bump at the top end of 4th gear.

Need to be really brave to make the most out of that one, although the right-hander is definitely slower than you first think. The width of track on entry is really deceptive.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Funnily enough, it's almost two years since we met at Trac Mon. Was that your last day out?
good point, yes indeed it is, far too long!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
So, the car is back in Surrey and looking a bit sorry for itself. Hopefully Scott is able to look at it next week and figure out whether there's any damage, so that it can get fixed in time for Thruxton on the 25th!

Just checking back on my videos and the oil appears to have hit over 138 deg (all segments illuminated and flashing) after 4-5 hard laps on Tuesday. Definitely need to get that cooler fitted, and change the oil!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·

So Scott had it up and running for a long while yesterday afternoon with a replacement belt, and all seems well. He's going to replace the tensioner and guide roller just to be on the safe side - as you've probably noticed, I'm very down with preventative maintenance!

I realised, after checking back through this thread, that it's been almost two years on that belt and tensioner. Given that the majority of those miles have been hard, it's probably unsurprising that it gave up the ghost.

Hopefully all's well that ends well. Still debating the oil cooler, and may put it off a little while given that Thruxton next month will likely be my last day out on track this year. It would be nice to be able to do longer stints at Thruxton, but not having the cooler isn't going to ruin my day.

In other news, I spotted a chap in Wolverhampton who does MG Straight wheel refurbs on exchange, for what seems like quite a silly price. Considering that, but haven't a clue when I'll have time to do it. I binned my stupid cup washers (see previous posts for details) at Combe on the advice of someone who had run without them for years, including lots of miles on track. Now that I'm keeping the MG rims, I may as well make them look presentable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
And, as if to encourage me further, Javelin have just put the photos up from the day. 27.04.21 Castle Combe

Couple of great ones of the Mini in there, and making me wonder whether I should consider a green vinyl flash up the side (see the reflection in the last photo).

·
Registered
549 Posts
Makes me realise that I need to spend some time (and money) on my R53. If only I was driving it regularly. There's a lot less motivation whilst it's sitting going nowhere.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Makes me realise that I need to spend some time (and money) on my R53. If only I was driving it regularly. There's a lot less motivation whilst it's sitting going nowhere.
This thread is proof that you don't need to driving a car regularly for it to become a thing that you spend loads of money on! :D

·
Registered
2005 R53
116 Posts
Quite a few primarily track cars get lots of investment for not massive amounts of mileage I think!

Having a track day booked helps my motivation to make time and get my hands dirty.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Well, the car is back, and all appears to be well in the world. The short drive back from Autotech to home showed the car behaving just fine, which is reassuring ahead of Thruxton.

However, a Columbo-like friend spotted the potential root cause of the belt failure.

The photo appears on first glance to show an impact mark on the tensioner pulley, which suggested that something had been spat up at it and broken the belt.

However, with the benefit of computer-aided 'enhancement', it appears that we're potentially looking at a screw/bolt which has gotten itself lodged between the pulley and belt.

I'm going to give the engine bay a good once-over for missing bolts before I go back out in it, but current hypothesis (given that nothing is hanging off the Mini) is that this was flicked up after falling off another attendee's car. What an annoying way to waste half a trackday.

On the other hand, this episode did make me think more seriously about my breakdown membership. Having previously gone for the cheapest offering which would cover me for an older car in Europe (and gambling that they wouldn't baulk at taking me from a trackday), it seemed sensible to stump up for AA personal cover, which explicitly says they will collect from non-competitive events. Bit of a result, it was much cheaper than I remembered too.

Thruxon awaits on the 25th!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Some excellent detective work there, definitely looking like a rogue bolt from somewhere!

I'm also with the AA on the Mini for that exact reason. Have seen them picking people up from the bits before, so is good comfort when I'm sure the time will come i'll need rescuing.

Great news the car is back and running well.

221 - 231 of 231 Posts