MiniTorque.com banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Suspension definitely dropped during the little drive last night think I’m happy with the front but the rear will definitely be going up. Will give it a while to settle further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Suspension definitely dropped during the little drive last night think I’m happy with the front but the rear will definitely be going up. Will give it a while to settle further.

Love the BRG such an underrated colour.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Looking good.

I agree. Your rear end is too low. Modern FWD cars are run with a little rake (some more than others - my Focus has more than my mini does).

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Absolutely, will definitely be wanting some slight forward rake. I think the rear keeps dropping as I swapped the springs back to the originals that came with the kit so has been a while since they were compressed.

It's being dropped off at Matt Roach Racing local to me on Wednesday to be with them for the full day Thursday to work their magic on it and get it set up right, camber, toe, pre load, ride height, corner weighting, ARB adjustment.

Figured as I'm using it for track days I may as well get it done properly to realise the full benefits, wouldn't get all of the above done if I was just using for road.

Although with another lockdown looming it's looking like COVID will scupper my Jan & Feb track days at the moment...

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
As feared Snetterton on 31st Jan has been cancelled today. Bit annoying as was a good price and a weekend so meant I didn’t have to take the day off work.

Brands late Feb could also be at risk depending on how the next few weeks go.

As such I’ve cancelled the suspension set up as it’s not essential and in case I get cabin fever and decide to bring forward any handling mods that I had initially planned for after the track season.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Snetterton was booked with Opentrack, they’ve cancelled and added a credit to my account.

Brands is with MSVT as got a voucher for Christmas.

RARB inbound, Whiteline has them on sale and are also offering a discount for signing up to their newsletter. I sense some fun with subframe bolts coming on 😎

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
subframe bolts just use a 16 hex socket and you shouldn't have them burr over, the trailing arm front bracket bolts are the same as the rear frame but if you order new they have changed the style to Torx fyi.

Reactions: Fro-dizzle

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Overnight parts from “Australia” didn’t expect it to arrive this quick, great service.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Got a bit of time on the car today, so got the old ARB off and the whiteline on and the subframe torqued back up.

Not a bad job at all to be honest was expecting a fight to get the old bar out and new one on but it went well.

Removed

Side by side

New one on

The rear is far too low and is running some crazy camber as a result so will raise the coilovers whilst they are off and also shorten the control arms but didn’t have enough time to play with today so will finish over the coming days dependant on work.

Also heard a rumbling from the rear the other day which sounds like a wheel bearing but there is no play so if the raised height and lower camber doesn’t solve it I’ll need to get that sorted likely using R56 bearings.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Haha good to hear, seemed like a sensible place to start.

Actually itching to do the weekly shopping run if I can get it back on the ground in time 😂

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
tyres can sound like a bearing

Reactions: Fro-dizzle

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
tyres can sound like a bearing
Thanks Sean, couldn’t hear them like this before but I guess there could be extra noise due to the spherical top mounts?

Where did you get the bar from ? ta
Got it from Whiteline/their UK distributor, everything is 10% off plus when I first went on the site it offered me a £20 voucher if I signed up to their newsletter too. 👍🏽

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
All back together, raised the coilover height and also removed some of the camber.

Looking forward to driving it when I go shopping tomorrow. Then will get full set up done once I have sight of next track day which is Brands in Feb at the mo but I imagine COVID restrictions will knock that on the head.

Decided to leave cleaning until another day haha

161 - 178 of 178 Posts