MiniTorque.com banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
584 Posts
Hey pal, RE Xenon pump worth checking the fuse and the relay for it as possible the pump is OK but one of those has gone.

The unfortunate thing with these cars is that even on cars with a low fluid warning there is nothing that stops the headlamp washer pump from operating at that point. What alot of people do is run the xenon tank dry, at which point the pump runs dry and very quickly either goes pop or goes pop and takes the fuse and relay with it. The high pressure pumps on the headlights are far easier to damage than the ones for the windows as I believe they use the water somewhat to keep the motor cool as it obviously has to push the water out to the jets pretty hard in order for them to be of any use.

I got lucky with mine and it was just a failed pump.

I loved it with VAG cars, when you had washers you had a bigger single tank and once the low fluid warning activated it disabled the headlamp washers to prevent such damage

Both the fuse and relay for it are in the main board in the passenger door well. I believe even if the pump has gone so long as the fuse and relay are OK you should still here the relay click once or twice (y)

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Thanks! Pretty sure the relay was clicking and fuse is fine, even swapped it with a spare just in case.

Pump has arrived and arch liner is already off (forgot about this when I went out in the rain last night, scared of the mess that awaits under the bonnet 😂) so can just turn the wheel and clip it in and see how it goes, will nip outside when I have lunch.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Turns out the new part is wrong, does't have the right fitting to connect to the tubing going to the headlights.

But I have managed to fix one of the genuine ones so now the headlight washers extend but do not spray. They seemed quite stiff so have tried to free them up a bit, but feel like I'll need to take them off to get them working properly, so looking like an advisory for tomorrow.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
584 Posts
I think mine did something similar, at least one of them anyway and turned out the jets were blocked, guess although they are recessed if they end up out of use for a while probs not much to stop road grime getting in behind the covers and blocking things up.

Believe my mate stuck it on his compressed air line and managed to blow the shite out.

Think it's fairly normal for them to feel quite stiff as there are some pretty hardcore springs in the mechanisms to make them return into the lamps when there's no water pressure on them (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Thanks again, will give it a go first thing before I take it for a longer drive ahead of MOT.

Good sign they are moving so hopefully just blocked as you have experienced.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Passed MOT but with new advisories this time 😂

has done 2.4k miles in a year so nice and low.

Direction indicator discoloured - both front
Side repeater discoloured - both sides (counts as two advisories)
Rear coil spring corrosion

Coil spring advisory has moved the want for coil overs up the list.

The others are straightforward to fix and might just be the film in the bulbs.

Didn’t even test the headlight washers in the end. Only a requirement for post 2009 apparently so god knows why he tested them last year.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Given that MOT passed without the imminent need to fix anything I got some bits ordered to prep for the two track days I plan to do in October and November.

5/40 oil & filter (also have a genuine one coming as forgot to remove the Bosch from my basket. At least I have a spare ready to go for the next change)

Opie we’re doing an offer where you buy 5l and get a litre bottle and pouch for free which will come in handy for if it needs any top ups whilst on track. (Hasn’t lost any from what I can tell in the last year though)

Prosport Oil temperature gauge with peak and warning capabilities. Seem a few owners using these and I like the daisy chaining system. Whilst the oil change was being done it made sense to do this at the same time. Looking forward to the wiring fun.

Will get oil pressure gauge next but I know that’s more fiddly to do with limited access to the stock pressure sensor.

17mm plastic sleeved socket for wheel bolts. Current one is metal and I don’t fancy chipping the newly refreshed wheels.

Lots of arch clips as there’s a few missing/broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,601 Posts
Going back a few posts, what belt have you been using?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
It was a Dayco 1388 from GSF, which after a year and just over 2k miles has more slack than the Gates 1390 that has replaced it. It was down to about half a hole but was a full hole when I fitted it last year.

Open to suggestions if there’s a better better belt to use than the gates item.

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
Dayco belts aren't so nice really, Gates or Conti are better in my view but it is only my view. Conti not so readily available I find, Gates have changed theirs again a while back I'd noticed, I've used them for a long time now. They still stretch but with conversions and the weight of the charger they're pulling coupled with type of use it doesn't make them crap, Dayco however, I've taken a couple off road cars that weren't that old, not used that hard, yet stretched pretty early, and misshapen. My2p ;O)

Reactions: Fro-dizzle

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Thanks Sean, definitely won’t be going back to a dayco that’s for sure.

Will see how the gates goes and if still not satisfied I’ll try to source a conti.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Got the Oil temperature gauge wired up. I used the radio harness as the autoleads connector had plenty of slack for me to play with and get T-taps onto.

All wired in and working, the usual Prosport gauge so have wired it to be white during the day and amber at night.

Also changed the oil and filter as had to add the temperature sender to the sump. Had to use the Bosch filter as the OEM one is wrong.

A gorilla must have tightened it last year when I got it done due to a gorilla prior to that, at least I know it’s not too tight now so I can do them all going forward.

Lost a socket to the cause though.

All ready for Brands Hatch on the 20th.

Also made more progress on my heated seat retrofit into the VXR Recaros. I’ve used the full OEM seat loom and mated this to the after market heater elements which are perfect size for the base and back rest of the seats.

Just need to strip the seats down and put them in, especially now it’s getting colder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dayco belts aren't so nice really, Gates or Conti are better in my view but it is only my view. Conti not so readily available I find, Gates have changed theirs again a while back I'd noticed, I've used them for a long time now. They still stretch but with conversions and the weight of the charger they're pulling coupled with type of use it doesn't make them crap, Dayco however, I've taken a couple off road cars that weren't that old, not used that hard, yet stretched pretty early, and misshapen. My2p ;O)
Question, Sean....have you looked into using StretchFit belt & eliminating the tensioner function by switching to something like Alta's manually adjustable tensioner in place of that weak damper? Always wondered if there are corresponding 6PK Stretch belts for R53 application.
If there are.....no more frequent tensioner swaps.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did when my car was supercharged. I think they are a few of my solid struts kicking about out there still

Did you pair w/ StretchFit belt like the current cars w/ no tensioners? If so, could you recall the stretch belt make & PN?...& your charger pulley size? Thanks, mate.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,601 Posts
Did you pair w/ StretchFit belt like the current cars w/ no tensioners? If so, could you recall the stretch belt make & PN?...& your charger pulley size? Thanks, mate.

Nah, there's too much load on the belt for stretchies. With the struts I used to do you just let the spring do the tensioning and then lock it off

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nah, there's too much load on the belt for stretchies. With the struts I used to do you just let the spring do the tensioning and then lock it off

Thanks. Pretty much like the old school manual tensioning....Never had issues in those. Any you had in yours then?
Pardon the thread hijack.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,601 Posts
None in the time I used it, none at all. If anything belts seemed to last better (conti being the best)

101 - 120 of 130 Posts