MiniTorque.com banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Looks great! I’ll probably get shot for saying this but I always liked gold/bronze wheels on a BRG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I did see some pics of BRG's with gold/bronze, was a 50/50 split between those I thought looked good and those where I didn't think it quite worked, so would have been an even riskier option than going black haha

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Nice project. I love the BRG and I really want to get my DS repainted ... maybe I'll have to when the rust gets sorted.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hadn’t managed to give it a good drive since refitting everything so what better excuse than to get more baby wipes.

Can definitely notice less weight on the wheels, steering is much lighter than before and in turn the feel of the steering is much better.

The braking force from the 4pots is a vast improvement and stop the car very well indeed, very impressed with them so I’m glad I managed to spot them when I did. Look forward you upgrading the rears to 280mm in the future.

Pedal feel is the same if not better, but that could be due to the state of the old fluid, but most certainly doesn’t have any extra travel.

Wanted to do a track day in Sept but work is a bit manic so limited to weekends at the mo of which lydden is the only one that still has availability. Not sure if it’s wise to baptise myself there though given you can overtake anyway and everywhere.

Next best option is Bedford in mid Oct, which seems a good track to start with due to large run offs etc.

There are also days at Snetterton and Thruxton the same week but think Bedford would be a good shout.

Haven’t had the chance to wash it hence the pics are from the cleaner side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
I think I'd sooner try Snetterton than perhaps a short tight Lydden I've seen people say just shreds tyres, even more than Bedford which is a coned off aerodrome circuit with no flags I've seen, still with some pretty tight turns from the look of peoples videos, it just doesn't appeal so much but that's just me of course, it's said to be a great place to start. I'd much prefer to be somewhere there are marshals and flags where you're less likely to be held up for long too,

can't remember what size tyres you have but they look like 40's? Rims really suit the car ;O)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Snetterton is good for a novice track day driver, I felt happy on my first ever go there.
Thanks Keith, good to hear your experience.

I think I'd sooner try Snetterton than perhaps a short tight Lydden I've seen people say just shreds tyres, even more than Bedford which is a coned off aerodrome circuit with no flags I've seen, still with some pretty tight turns from the look of peoples videos, it just doesn't appeal so much but that's just me of course, it's said to be a great place to start. I'd much prefer to be somewhere there are marshals and flags where you're less likely to be held up for long too,

can't remember what size tyres you have but they look like 40's? Rims really suit the car ;O)
I’ve also seen this with regards to tyres @ Lydden.
Would definitely want it to be somewhere properly marshalled until I’m in the swing of track etiquette and have built up some confidence etc.

Only been on one track session before and that was in a MK4 Anniversary at Combe in the soaking wet, not a fun car on track and not one I wanted to be pushing being a limited edition. So itching to get on with the Mini.

Just seen Brands Indy now has some dates the same week in October so that’s another option and is my closest track.

They are indeed 40’s, not as meaty as you like haha

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Snetterton is good for a novice track day driver, I felt happy on my first ever go there.
Thanks Keith, good to hear your experience.

I’ve also seen this with regards to tyres @ Lydden.
Would definitely want it to be somewhere properly marshalled until I’m in the swing of track etiquette and have built up some confidence etc.

Only been on one track session before and that was in a MK4 Anniversary at Combe in the soaking wet, not a fun car on track and not one I wanted to be pushing being a limited edition. So itching to get on with the Mini.

Just seen Brands Indy now has some dates the same week in October so that’s another option and is my closest track.

They are indeed 40’s, not as meaty as you like haha

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
503 Posts
Mate glad all is well with the brakes, guess in certain respects an easier upgrade than the R56S brakes if you have enough clearance (y) (y)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Finally got the chance to give the car a wash, countless spiders are now dead/homeless, hopefully they don’t set up shop in the garage.

Also opened the heater elements that came a month or so ago, want to get these sorted now the nights are getting chilly

Brands hatch is also booked for October and have included driver instruction to help me get up to speed quicker with being on track.

Plan to also do Snetterton or Brands again in November.

Should stand me in good stead for doing more next year.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Helmet arrived today ready for Brands next month.

MOT is due early October so have booked for 26th Sept.

Want to see if I can get it through with no advisories, only thing remaining from last year is the headlight washers aren’t working, changed the pump before but was in a hurry so didn’t check it through properly.

So this weekends jobs:

Fix headlight washers
Tidy up rear brake pins, caliper and handbrake assembly as pretty sure they’ve been binding.

Have reserved rear discs and pads from ECP which I’ll grab in the morning just in case I take things apart and they need replacing.

Ideally I’d want to upgrade to R56 items but can’t stretch to buying the arms, Calipers, bearings, discs and pads after the recent purchases, so will probably happen over winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Finally got the chance to give the car a wash, countless spiders are now dead/homeless, hopefully they don’t set up shop in the garage.

Also opened the heater elements that came a month or so ago, want to get these sorted now the nights are getting chilly

Brands hatch is also booked for October and have included driver instruction to help me get up to speed quicker with being on track.

Plan to also do Snetterton or Brands again in November.

Should stand me in good stead for doing more next year.
I do love a brg. Looks nice and clean that 😀👍🏼

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Cleaned up the sliders and provided some lubrication, was quite tough to move the sliders in and out initially but much better now.

Also checked the handbrake mechanisms on the caliper and both look to be releasing, have lubricated here too.

Think I’ve caught it early as discs and pads look all good so willhopefully be able to take the spares back to ECP.

Didn’t get a chance to have a stab at the headlight washers not working so will be a job for this week/next weekend.

Annoyingly someone looks to have bumped the rear bumper leaving some scratches Which weren’t there when I washed it the other day.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts