MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
fwiw I have genuine R112's so have access to check anything against what you've found if it helps

re brakes, you will find it beneficial to supplement them with the 280mm rear discs and brackets with r56 calipers and cables which can prove affordable as well

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks Sean, got carried away with the little one tonight so will get them unboxed tomorrow and have a good look.

Top man, was just about to look into options for the rear so will look into the above.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Budwegs landed today and I’ve opened one of the wheels, this one is def genuine, still think the other two are reps. Will get them opened tomorrow.

Seeing the R112 in the flesh in silver has got me thinking though as it looks to shows off it’s detail better than if it was black so up in the air again colour wise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
517 Posts
V nice pal....nought wrong with silver they are a really attractive wheel. A dark silver or anthracite might be a nice compromise if not sure on black?

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts

;O)

Reactions: Fro-dizzle

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Looks great Sean, silver really does show of the angles better, ties in nice with the chrome bits too which I’m already a fan of.

Looked into the rear 280mm upgrade, doesn’t look too bad to do aside from the potential for the handbrake cable to be a pita.

It’s just R56s lines, calipers and then JCW carriers isn’t it? Then some slight modding to trailing arms unless I change to R56 items?

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
for me that'd have a body coloured roof ;O)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks for the pic pipsy.

It was this R53 in the states that made me think black initially. But seeing the wheels in silver in person has made the decision harder.

Was bidding on this works the other week to keep bits and shift the rest but went for very good money. But shows them in silver albeit filthy.

Will end up picking a colour out of a hat at this rate haha

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah difficult call mate, either way I don't think you can go too wrong (y) (y)

Sad end to that JCW as well, looked tidy bar the obvious rear end shunt :cry:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yeah very true, going to come down to the toss of a coin haha

Interior was quite tidy too, and very decent spec with Nav and climate. Despite being a pre facelift it looked to have the 210 bits including the airbox. Would have been handy to get the head, airbox, Skirts & wheels in one swoop but wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Nothing crazy to report, as expected the newborn project is taking precedence.

Heated seat elements have arrived and the thermistors are out of the old seats so can work on rewiring those bit by bit then get them in.

Final genuine wheel arrived this week, and have had them all unwrapped.

Two are definitely replicas as I thought and there are slight differences when you see them directly side by side, most notable being in between the spikes at the edge of the wheel, the genuine ones have a smoother step towards the inside of the wheel than the reps.

This gives the illusion of the genuine ones being deeper/wider.

So I’ll be putting the reps on the front and genuine son the rear which should give a staggered kind of look that I think will work.

They have slightly different ET’s also, reps are 42 and gen are 48.

42 will help with suspension clearance when the time comes, and I’ll get some 5mm spacers and longer bolts for the back. All bolts could do with changing anyway.

I weighed both types of wheels without tyres using a hanging luggage scale and will weigh an s lite both with and without tyres once I have them off.

Gen R112 - 9.85kg (although 10.4kg recorded online and they haven’t been kerbed that badly haha)
Rep 112 - 8.7kg so a kg lighter which likely offset by heavier brakes.

Wheels are booked in for Tuesday morning and should be ready Thursday morning, I want the refurb place to fit the tyres when they are done so I’m covered for any damage but they won’t swap from my current wheels.

Will use my current centre ‘MINI’ centre caps as replaced them a short while ago.

Plan is to get car in the air on Monday and get wheels off and tyres removed then drop everything off Tuesday morning and I’ll come home and get the brakes fitted and ATE Typ 200 fluid flushed through and bled. Will need to repaint rear calipers red to match the fronts now too but may be asking for too much time as I don’t want to rush the brake change.

Reps on the left in the brighter silver.

Wheels are booked to go black but will do a test fit over the weekend to be sure I don’t want to go silver.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Think I’m sold on black, think it will look more ‘sporty’ whereas silver will look ‘classier’.

S lite with tyre was 22.3 kg
Gen 112 with tyre (albeit shagged) 18.5 kg

·
Registered
517 Posts
Good call man 👍

If it's of any interest I did mine in BMW Orbit Grey recently and in the flesh they are bloody lovely. Could be mistaken for black but of course really a very dark metallic gunmetal grey......I kinda liked it as well as it was a legitimate BMW Mini colour (though never used on that gen of car). Can't help but feel with the BRG a very dark grey would be awesome.

Conversely I really don't think you can go too wrong with gloss or matte black wheels, I know they tend to divide opinion but I've always liked back wheels.....other benefit is they still look good even when they are filthy 🤣

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like gunmetal/grey with BRG.

Truth is it will look good with silver or gunmetal or black!
You're totally right Nigel, I figure the challenge wheel is such a nice design it pretty much looks great whatever colour it is 👍 think we've probably just wrecked Fro's head 😂 😂

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Haha thanks all, definitely throwing spammers everywhere. Doesn’t help I’m like a bloody pendulum with this it’s literally going to come down to the mood I’m in on Tuesday morning when I drop them off :D

Don’t want to be adding a third dimension into the mix with grey as that’s a whole new ball game with different shades etc and I don’t think I’d ever get a choice nailed on!

Will look good either way, only ever had silver wheels so it’s a step out of comfort zone to go another colour which is why I think it’s hard for me to settle.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts